when to tickets arrive?...i need to cancel n need a refund

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akshay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok join me if you think you're in the same boat...I signed up for the April somwhere mid Jan....and itz almost the end of Feb and I havn't even got through half the review material...plus doing schoolwork and my last semester in school is hectic....my only chance to bring up my GPA.....so I'm gonna refund my ticket....somwhere mid March depending on how prepared I will be....till then I'm going with the flow....any takers on this?.....should I just go ahead and take it twice becuz $$ is not the issue....does score improvement from April to Aug help on applications??....any strategies to speed up the prep process for the April?? please....any feedback welcome

Members don't see this ad.

I understand how you feel because I was feeling the same way when I took my first full-length test last night. But really we still have what, 7 weeks? If we really hunker down and study we should be able to do it. I think the best advice is if you really think you can swear off a social life for the next 7 weeks, go ahead and do your best to study and take the test. Another important thing to do is take a full-length test and then focus your review on the stuff you don't know, based on how you did on the test (and how you felt when you were taking it). That's how I know that I really don't need to do more than glance at bio, but I really ought to focus on orgo for that section.

But if you really think you can't do it, don't take it with a plan to take it again. You won't give it your all and you'll just be disappointed. If you are planning on applying with the next round of apps, you should really take April (it's really true about the difference it makes).

Like I said, though, I completely understand the sentiment. My own solution is do nothing for the next 7 weeks other than schoolwork and MCAT studying. I even decided to get a cleaning service to clean the apartment because that will help me, and I asked my husband to take up the slack with the laundry and other things! :p People will understand. Tell your friends you'll hang out with them after the MCAT is over :)

my advice: bring up the GPA, dump the MCAT prep

if money is not an issue, take the April test anyway and void your score. No school will ever know that you took it, so that is not an issue either. You are going to lose about $100 anyway, and this is a great opportunity to sit through a REAL MCAT and find out what it's like. The only hard part about this is that you must have the resolve to sit through an entire day's testing and then, at the very end of BS, take your test up to the front and watch them void your whole day's work. You will never know how you would have scored.

I did this 2 years ago because at this point in February, I knew I didn't have time to prep for April. I took it in August instead, did really well, and got multiple acceptances. The experience from April was invaluable (even for figuring out that you should not take a 1 l water bottle, because in your nervousness you will drink the whole thing by 9 and then have to pee by 9:15, with an hour left to go in PS).

MeowMix,

That is an interesting idea.

So, at the very end you just tell them you want to void it? And by doing so, no one knows that you took it?

You'll never know how you score either... Is there a way to get your scores and not have medical schools know about it? I heard they will know you took the test, but just wont have your scores. Any harm in this?

I'm pretty much in the same boat -- I have no time to study. I don't know what to do -- shall I void it, not take the MCAT in April -- i am not sure. Can anyone show the other side to MeowMix's comments?

I do think I can do better in August -- but what makes me want to take it in April is only because it enhances your chances of getting in. Then again if you do horrible in April, you wont have chances anyway. I am *supposedly* an international student, so taking it early would be crucial to my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorSaab said:
Is there a way to get your scores and not have medical schools know about it? I heard they will know you took the test, but just wont have your scores. Any harm in this?

They used to have the score release option. But not anymore. If you do not void your score by end of the day, medical school will see your score.

Thanks for showin interest in my situation guys....my sole reason to take the AUG is....I'd rather give it my best than which I can in summer after graduating and even though this jeopardizes my chances of getting in this year, it's worth the shot....I can review till May-June and hammer it in august from all the practice I can get in the summer

sweet tigress...thanks for the suggestion but I've sworn off my social life, broke up with my girl, moved away from parents....seems to me I'm leading myself into depression only to get into medical school....I think a good balanced life is important no matter what the situation is....but I will give the april MCAT and might end up voiding it....thanks to Meow's suggestion

Meow....great advice....I'm looking foward to that minute when I'm going to walk up the the procter n void that MCAT....but what really surprises me is that you got multiple acceptances :eek: but nevertheless :clap: :clap: :clap: lolz....just curious to know where you actually went with all those acceptances and why.....hopefully I'll be lucky enough to live that dream some day....most of all I'd be thankful for just one acceptance...thanks bud

DocSaab....kaha se ho bhai?....a fellow countryman lookin into my situation to help....I understand your situation docsaab....I was in the same situation....but this year was lucky...got my gc on the 1st of Jan.....can you believe that?....and taking Aug will perhaps weaken your choices but nothing like a good MCAT score which you can proudly flaunt to the adcom in arguement....anyway....I really do not have much of a suggestion except the carib schools for you....I'm sure you've looked into that option...if not lemme know ....I guess I can shed some light in that direction

Alright thanks guys....wish you all the very best....hope ya'll pound the hell outta this april's MCAT :laugh: :laugh:

Yeh this international student thing is ******ed.

I am in the process to get my gc -- but havent gotten it yet. My parents also own property here. I dont know if that puts me in a better situation for an international student.

And i really dont want to go the caribbean route...