1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When to turn in secondaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BoxingMD, Aug 8, 2006.

1. BoxingMD

BoxingMD Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How long is too long to wait to turn in secondaries? I am applying to 32 schools and the secondaries keep piling up. I've only been able to finish ten so far. There's just too many that ask stupid questions, like "what makes you special?" or some that ask too many Q's. I had to write 7 essays for one freakin school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Copy, paste and change the name of school my friend. I would say, have all the secondaries complete by end of aug (That means references sent, email/phone call stating they are reviewing)...so you can get interviews starting oct...

4. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    this is why you shouldn't apply to 32 schools. 20 schools max unless you want to be in secondary hell.

5. BoxingMD

BoxingMD Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Trust me if I had a 3.8 GPA or whatever like some other people I wouldn't even think of applying to this many schools. However my GPA is a respectable but not exceptional 3.36 so I had to be realistic with my chances and go through this gauntlet of secondary essays.

6. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I am applying to about 40 so I totally understand. Just keep getting them in, try and at least have a few where you write solid essays. That's another advantage those kids who apply to 15 schools have, they get to spend more time and be more thoughtful on their essays. All I can say is power through, I have about 30 in and I still have quite a few waiting for me.

7. MasterMD

MasterMD it's a smile on the rocks
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah im wrapping up summer school right now so im really feeling the pressure.. and you all know how many schools im applying to! i have a week off between the end of summer school and the first day of classes.. i plan to knock out all 20 or so that i currently have (+ any additional ones that come in the meantime) then. **HIGH STRESS**

8. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No offense... But I don't think there are 32 schools that you would have a chance with with that kind of GPA. Out of state public schools are out of the question and so are most of the schools with above a 3.65 average GPA unless you have an MCAT above 32 and strong ECs.

9. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd recommend folks be very careful with secondaries. I'm applying to a bunch of schools (32, I believe) but am not submitting the secondaries as fast as I'd like.

SDN can really make you feel like if your secondaries aren't in by August 1st you're doomed. It's true early secondaries are great, but if they're all boilerplate and generic, you may as well not bother.

Most of us who are applying to a large number of schools are doing so because we're not confident of our application. To send out applications with cut-n-paste vague answers to questions just for the sake of getting a secondary in a week or two early is foolhardy.

10. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I support this message. Focus on a smaller number and put forth more effort into higher-quality secondary submissions for them. Plus, you get them in earlier that way, which is a definite advantage.

11. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Forget about some schools first off, then try to get the rest in ASAP. The secondary are time consuming and expensive, it is going to cost you about $3200, with interviews applying is going to become a $10,000 process. I had a friend last year that applied to 30 schools. She ended up doing poorly in school (which hurt her chances at a lot of schools) because she was missing weeks of school at a time for back to back interviews.

12. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm sure some folks apply to 40 schools because they're insane, but for most, it's because they have a substandard application.

If you have the time and money, by all means, apply to a bunch of schools (though if you have a substandard application, finding 40 schools you have any kind of shot of might be tough).

But be sure you have the time and money. Short-shrifting a secondary can slam shut the only chance you had at a med school.

13. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    very true

14. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

:eek: Oh no! Better see a doctor

15. BoxingMD

BoxingMD Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Just so you know, I do in fact have an MCAT higher than 32 and very good ECs. I just had some health issues during my soph/junior years that screwed up the GPA. I went from 3.8 frosh to 2.7-2.8 during the second and third years with some time off, then back to 3.9 GPA the rest of the way when I got my health in check.