When to utilize outside resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseud0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are all aware of the outside resources most often recommended for m1-m2:

sketchy
pathoma
first aid
qbank
combank
etc

As an incoming first year, I'm trying to figure out when and how I'm supposed to utilize these things. With lecture notes, textbooks, anki card creation and review, and these external resources, it seems that there is just too many resources to choose from. I'm not sure what the most efficient way to go about this is.
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

We are all aware of the outside resources most often recommended for m1-m2:

sketchy
pathoma
first aid
qbank
combank
etc

As an incoming first year, I'm trying to figure out when and how I'm supposed to utilize these things. With lecture notes, textbooks, anki card creation and review, and these external resources, it seems that there is just too many resources to choose from. I'm not sure what the most efficient way to go about this is.
What do you guys think?
Ask a mod to move this to the med student area; you're in pre-med land here friendo.

(Also recommend moving thread)

@pseud0. For first year resource-wise, a lot of it will depend on what your school's first-year classes are like. You made need more or less depending on what additional materials you're given, i.e. if your school has direct access to a lot of practice questions you may not need to consult additional practice questions from books unless you really want that much more practice or want to pre-study for the shelf exams if you must take them.

For second year it's a different ballpark as you need resources to study for Step plus supplement your second-year material as you learn it.

So to sum...first year check out your classes and build resources from there...second year use what will help you prep for Step. In the end you will probably have to adjust as you go based on how you learn best. Don't worry about what other people use to study: if you seriously can't understand the material after using one resource, try something else. That said it may help to ask second years (> 2 people) what worked for them.

Some comments on the resources you mentioned:

-sketchy... if you hate memorizing this might make doing so less boring because they make mneumonics for you; thought it was really interesting but the mneumonics were overwhelming for me personally
-pathoma... lots of second years like this but can't comment on it personally as I haven't started it
-first aid... more for Step 1 prep but some of my classmates loved using it with the class material first year
-anki...helps if flashcards work for you (very well!) but take a long time to make

You will figure it out as you go along; it's overwhelming but it's part of being a first year. Hope that helps; best of luck!

Edit: When it comes to studying first year definitely hone in on your lecture notes first then fill the gaps with other resources (also includes professor him/herself) for the stuff that's important but wasn't explained well for you.

Reactions: 1 user