When to write the Canadian DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFC73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to apologize if my question has been answered before, I did search the forum but I only found threads on the American DAT.

I'm a Canadian student and I'm going to start my 3rd undergraduate year in September (4 year program), and I am worried about the DAT exam. I plan on applying to Canadian as well as American dental schools, so I'm going to do the cDAT rather than the American DAT.

My dilemma is that I do not know when to write the exam! US schools mention that "Score reports for candidates who took the November Canadian DAT exam are usually NOT received in time for consideration for that year's admission cycle."

In that case, would you suggest that I do the DAT during my third year (November/February)?
If I do decide to write the November exam, I have 2.5 months left this summer to study before I go back to school, I'll still dedicate time to study for the cDAT during Sept & Oct.

Also, do US schools require the carving section if I am doing the cDAT??

What would you all suggest? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also Canadian, so I feel your pain. I'd recommend taking it February of your third year, for a couple reasons.
1) The time frame usually overlaps with reading week so you get a week to cram for it
2) If you take it later, first and second year material will be so much harder to remember.
3) I heard (and this may be rumor) that the Feb. exam is less competitive because the November one can be used for that year's admissions cycle for Canadian schools.

The US schools don't need carving, but if there's any chance you're applying to the Canadian schools that need it, then take it. And if you plan on doing the carving, then take a prep course on it, because it's a steep learning curve (for me anyway).

I'm also Canadian, so I feel your pain. I'd recommend taking it February of your third year, for a couple reasons.
1) The time frame usually overlaps with reading week so you get a week to cram for it
2) If you take it later, first and second year material will be so much harder to remember.
3) I heard (and this may be rumor) that the Feb. exam is less competitive because the November one can be used for that year's admissions cycle for Canadian schools.

The US schools don't need carving, but if there's any chance you're applying to the Canadian schools that need it, then take it. And if you plan on doing the carving, then take a prep course on it, because it's a steep learning curve (for me anyway).

Thanks for your reply! The reason I was considering the November (2015) exam is because I thought I'd spend the rest of the summer studying, do the exam, and if I don't do well then I'd redo it in February (2016).
However if I only do the February (2016) exam, and I don't well on it, then I'd have to wait for the following November exam, which it would delay my application since the schools will not receive the results on time!

I'm just worried that I may not have enough time to prepare for the November exam! Have you started preparing? would approximately 3 months be enough? (Considering that I don't even have the study material yet ... )

I literally studied for 2 weeks for the Canadian exam and did fine. It's not that bad since your just really studying for 2 sections (bio, chem). Take a look at pat this summer and practice that because if u study the sciences you will forget it by the testing date. I also did it in feb.

I should mention that I did practice pat and was doing decent on RC so the 2 weeks was purely studying the science sections.

I'm just worried that I may not have enough time to prepare for the November exam! Have you started preparing? would approximately 3 months be enough? (Considering that I don't even have the study material yet ... )
I took the Canadian DAT in Feb of my second year, and most of the material was still fresh. I took a prep course for carving in October of that year, but honestly just studied during reading break. I'm rewriting because the scores are a bit too old for some schools, and this time around I'm giving myself more time. In my opinion, three months is too long unless you've been out of school for a couple years. You probably need a month, maybe two if you want to study casually and be safe.