When transferring to a pre pharmacy at a university, do they take the GPA of everything so far at college or just prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aimee19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started higher education, I never attended a university, instead because I was sure what courses exactly needed to be taken during first two years aka pre pharmacy, I took all the equivalent courses at a community College, and it took me five years, and by the end of this year, I will have finished all prerequisites at the community college. At this time my overall GPA is 2.51. On all the prerequisites I have earned C and better, like calculus I got C and in microbiology and organic chem I got A and B . Some courses like geometry and pre calculus algebra I got D but they are not prerequisites of pharmacy school. So my question is when they say overall GPA before transfer has to be 2.75, do they mean everything or just prerequisites? Also although my grades are great and improved they just put my financial aid at suspension because it took too much time and I still have not transferred or earned my Associate, but I have enrolled in just a few more classes and then my prerequisites are finished, even the core circulum will be finished by the end of this year. What should I do? My professor just offered me to write a letter of recommendation because I was earnest. I am a pharmacy tech too.

Members don't see this ad.

So my question is when they say overall GPA before transfer has to be 2.75, do they mean everything or just prerequisites?

Overall means every college credit ever taken unless further specified by the program. In order to differentiate, many institutes will say overall "cGPA" (cumulative) and overall "sGPA" (sciences). The wording may also simply state "overall GPA in the sciences", or "overall cumulative GPA" from all college credit courses regardless of university or community college location(s).

For simplicity - cold call the prepharmacy program and ask what the detail is if it is not explicitly found on their site.