When will airplane ticket prices go down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With news that Delta airline is slashing prices and other airlines doing the same, should I wait for another week before I buy my tickets? I wonder when the prices will go down and by how much. Does anyone know?

I have an interview at vermont on 2/3 so I need to get the tickets latest next week.

Members don't see this ad.

sdnstud said:
With news that Delta airline is slashing prices and other airlines doing the same, should I wait for another week before I buy my tickets? I wonder when the prices will go down and by how much. Does anyone know?

I have an interview at vermont on 2/3 so I need to get the tickets latest next week.

Try www.studentuniverse.com. From what I read, they are slashing their prices on the most expensive tickets and one-way fares.

I'm pretty sure they already dropped, so might as well not wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
continental just announce ticket fairs dropping for last-minute tickets today. It was front page of Houston's paper (since we're their hub)

Whether you're going to see a difference in plane ticket prices, really depends on where you're flying. The major carriers (Delta, AA, Continental, etc.) are slashing prices on tickets where the discount carriers (Southwest, Jet Blue) fly. Chances are if either of these discount carriers don't fly to where you want to go, the prices will be the same.

i wouldn't expect any huge fare slash--tickets are at historical lows and the airlines can't really afford to charge less. Basically, Delta is changing the structure of their fares so that last minute tickets and one-ways won't be so expensive. The other tickets more or less remain the same price.

A lot of airlines are slashing fares right now. US Air is offering discounted fares to compete with Delta because they share almost all the same routes. Check out orbitz.com for really good deals.