When will AOA programs be available for MD/MBBS applicants to apply to ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think the PD's of these AOA programs are going to care much about DO's given that quite a few of them are not even DO's.

Believe me when I tell you that there are some sharp high scoring IMG's who would be vying for these spots. These residents are very sharp and would be more efficient, than someone who is just graduating medical school.

You can also believe that many programs don't interview IMGs, even with their 260+ on step 1. Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-for-residency-options.1146558/#post-16639229

Post #39:
"Definitely not true at many programs. My program doesn't review IMG applications, so even if you get a 260 on the USMLE, you're not getting an interview here because we'll never see that score (and scores aren't everything, anyways). We've interviewed 1 Caribbean student in the last 2 years, and that was because she rotated here (we have a ton of IMG rotators because that's set up through the medical school and we have no say over who rotates here) and the attending and resident who worked with her strongly advocated for her to get an interview. Even though she had a solid application and interviewed well, we still ranked her fairly low on our list because she was from a Caribbean school where you just don't know what the quality of education is and how well prepared she'd be in our program. We routinely rank DO students high enough to match here if they wanted to come here. Yes, there will be programs that typically review IMG applications and place a lot of weight on USMLE scores, but it's definitely wrong to say that all that matters in the end is the USMLE scores - that's far from the truth."

For those of you who think AOA programs won't look at MD's I would think you are being very foolish. Look at the Mercy Gen Surg program in Iowa. They were a one of the top AOA programs and it is now ACGME accredited. First year they had 3 DO's and 1 MD. Last year it was 4 MD's. Many of these places are going to interview the best candidates they think they can get and they will not decline to rank applicants and risk going unmatched just to stay loyal to the DO schools. Some programs probably will, but obviously some others won't.
This is real. https://www.mercydesmoines.org/Portals/0/media/documents/residencydocuments/2015-2016 GS Program.pdf

It's time for DO students to take the USMLE to compete with MD students, unless they are fine with being a PCP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Some students from SOSA at DMU met with Dante Dali the third year gen surgery resident at Mercy today. He said it's really about the applicant's personality/ doing an audition that determines their spot. He said all of the residents vote and their main contributing factors are boards, LOR and personality. -- also mentioned that it's important to take the usmle in order to be ranked evenly.

Last edited:
All DO's should be required to take the USMLE. In fact, all doctor's who seek licensure in the United States should be required to take the SAME (USMLE) examinations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All DO's should be required to take the USMLE. In fact, all doctor's who seek licensure in the United States should be required to take the SAME (USMLE) examinations.
Is there any evidence basis for this? I understand that it sounds good to have all physicians take the same test, but I have not seen any data supporting a requirement that DOs take the USMLE.

Is there any evidence basis for this? I understand that it sounds good to have all physicians take the same test, but I have not seen any data supporting a requirement that DOs take the USMLE.

I don't know of any evidence as to a requirement, but it is pretty common that PDs like it when they can compare apples to apples (USMLE to USMLE).

The public and the state medical boards should demand it.The COMLEX is a pile of hot garbage. If I were a PD I would only consider DO's who have taken USMLE Step 1 and 2.

I don't know of any evidence as to a requirement, but it is pretty common that PDs like it when they can compare apples to apples (USMLE to USMLE).
Certainly. I don't think anyone would argue that there aren't many PD's who find it easier to compare USMLE scores to other USMLE scores.
The public and the state medical boards should demand it.The COMLEX is a pile of hot garbage. If I were a PD I would only consider DO's who have taken USMLE Step 1 and 2.
Doesn't answer the question. You'll be less likely to get the change you want if you just say the way you want something is the way it should be compared to providing evidence that indicates that doing it the way you want will have better outcomes, or at least pointing out specific reasons why you believe, for example, that the COMLEX does not do a sufficient job of establishing minimum competency to practice osteopathic medicine compared to the USMLE.

Last edited:
The 2014 NRMP PD survey says 97% of FM programs accept COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user