When will DSMV come out? Will it effect my boards in 4 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCOM_Rocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know when DSMV will come out and if it comes out during the middle of my training will it effect the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

2010-2012....

It depends on when it comes out, and if the ABPN will leave a lag year or two in developing new questions. My understanding is that they did this the last time a DSM version came out, and will likely do it again when the new version hits.

I'm sure they'll have an official announcement when the time nears.

I heard it was planned for 2011 but I'm not sure where I picked that up from (maybe their website).

I heard some mumblings that they were looking at moving from a categorical approach to a dimensional approach. Not sure whether that is correct or not.
Also not sure whether that means that the presence / absense of symptoms is thought to be dimensional rather than categorical or whether the difference between different kinds of disorders is thought to be dimensional rather than categorical.

PDM diagnostic manual came out last year that seemed to have some variety of continuum / dimensional view on personality. With respect to Axis I conditions it borrowed heavily from DSM / ICD and struck me as fairly categorical, however.

I'd be interested in learning more about the above debates if anyone else is and has references for me ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked up the PDM earlier this year, and I really like the layout. I haven't had a chance to really go through it thoroughly, but I think it would behoove people to at least give it a look.

-t