Sam32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Texas
Status
Post Doc
I filled out Fafsa and would like to know when loans will be distributed. I have some shopping to do before school :oops:

brooklynblunder

ACFAS Member
Aug 3, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
i heard a month after school starts. students have told me its good to have some cash in hand (upto $5k if your rent is high and you have to pay first/last/deposit)

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Heh, you'll be lucky to get them before you start actual classes. I got my loan money on like Thursday of orientation week, and I think that is about normal.

Mar 12, 2010
Status
the earliest is the first week of school? :eek:
I believe the way it typically works is that it's disbursed to the school, applied toward your outstanding balance if you have one (tuition/fees, etc.), once your financial obligations are met, the remainder, if there is one is then passed on to you.

Jul 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
True, if you have a school that is ****ty about their turn around time you could be waiting even longer. In grad school I had to wait until the add/drop period had passed to get the living allowance part of my loans.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
The government doesn't disburse to the school until you're start date, and then you have to wait for the school to process it and cut you a check for the overage. I have waited as long as two months after the start of a semester (when people didn't do their job right), shortest has been 2 weeks.