WHEN WILL THE AGONY END. No IIs, 6-8+ weeks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkmzeta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.6-3.7 c/s GPA. 37+ MCAT, even distribution. IIs: 0

CA resident. Top 20 school, competitive major.

5 years research but no publications. Reason being I've been at a few different labs, they all ended well and most of my PIs wrote me LORs, but I've just enjoyed trying different areas of research. Plus, publications take time!! A lab I worked in from 2009 - 2011 is only JUST getting ready to publish our research. I guess if I'm looking on the bright side, if I don't get into medical school this cycle at least I'll have a publication to talk about next time around.. ugh.

Scribe work, shadowing, some ESL tutoring, and a few years consistently volunteering at a health-related organization. Have a somewhat unique past time activity, somewhere in between recreation and a D1 sport. Okay pretty far away from a D1 sport but you get the picture. But nothing else particularly exciting going on.

Applied to ~20 schools in mid July-August. Applied to another 10 out of sheer panic during the month of September.

Is there something wrong here? Is there a red flag I'm not seeing? I'm not shooting for Harvard or anything. Given my low-ish GPA, and not being a super unique julliard trained cellist/firefighter, I tried to apply to schools with GPA ranges somewhat in my range and MCAT ranges well below mine.

HALP.

Members don't see this ad.

Patient my friend. With those stats and ECs, you're certain to get yours in due time.

It's too early in the cycle for anything to be sure. But still, no secondaries at all....Your app looks fantastic with the given information.

Are you confident that there was no red flag and nothing missing in your app?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's too early in the cycle for anything to be sure. But still, no secondaries at all....Your app looks fantastic with the given information.

Are you confident that there was no red flag and nothing missing in your app?

Secondaries? I'm assuming you mean IIs, and in that case, I have no reason to think there would be a red flag in my app. I knew my LOR writers really well and wouldn't dream of them writing me a bad rec. Besides a bad LOR what else constitutes a red flag? I have no felony convictions.. Haha. I got all my LORs sent to AMCAS in May and June so I know they aren't waiting on any letters. I can't think of anything else I could be missing.

I had similar stats to you, didn't get an II until November. Don't be afraid to start sending out some letters of interest in late October to some schools you really like.

5 years research but no publications. Reason being I've been at a few different labs, they all ended well and most of my PIs wrote me LORs, but I've just enjoyed trying different areas of research. Plus, publications take time!! A lab I worked in from 2009 - 2011 is only JUST getting ready to publish our research. I guess if I'm looking on the bright side, if I don't get into medical school this cycle at least I'll have a publication to talk about next time around.. ugh.

Scribe work, shadowing, some ESL tutoring, and a few years consistently volunteering at a health-related organization. Have a somewhat unique past time activity, somewhere in between recreation and a D1 sport. Okay pretty far away from a D1 sport but you get the picture. But nothing else particularly exciting going on.

Applied to ~20 schools in mid July-August. Applied to another 10 out of sheer panic during the month of September.

Is there something wrong here? Is there a red flag I'm not seeing? I'm not shooting for Harvard or anything. Given my low-ish GPA, and not being a super unique julliard trained cellist/firefighter, I tried to apply to schools with GPA ranges somewhat in my range and MCAT ranges well below mine.

HALP.

It's possible you aimed low and the schools could be assuming you'll go elsewhere.

I'd start working on letters of interest and also chill. There are many months left during which schools will be handing out interview invites.

It's possible you aimed low and the schools could be assuming you'll go elsewhere.

I'd start working on letters of interest and also chill. There are many months left during which schools will be handing out interview invites.

I thought most schools weren't really into LOIs, especially pre-II? They have so many applicants that don't get IIs.

I thought most schools weren't really into LOIs, especially pre-II? They have so many applicants that don't get IIs.

Well I wouldn't immediately blanket all your schools with a generic LOR. But if doing nothing but waiting is driving you nuts, couldn't hurt to revisit the schools you applied to and start thinking about what you would like to send them in an update/LOI.

Do check to see if any of them specifically say they don't want LOIs. Some have clear policies about it.

Maybe, maybe not. I picked up three invites within two weeks of sending updates out. It's anecdotal, but my thinking was that I'd rather have a letter ignored than get rejected without them having the most up to date impression of me.

How is your PS? I think having a consistent and meaningful story is a single most underrated aspect of med school application.

HALP.

Post a general idea of your school list?

I had an II in May so... like 8 more months

Members don't see this ad :)
School choices perhaps? Applied to only top 20 or something?

How is your PS? I think having a consistent and meaningful story is a single most underrated aspect of med school application.

this x10. A great writer with low stats > a terrible writer with high stats (IMO)

this x10. A great writer with low stats > a terrible writer with high stats (IMO)

I am a pretty good writer, 14 verbal on MCAT, English classes have always been my strong suit. I worked really hard on my PS, had a lot of people read it and give input, and I produced something that I felt good with.

School choices perhaps? Applied to only top 20 or something?

I applied to quite the range 20-30 schools covers a lot of ground. UCs, USC, SUNYs, NYMC, Tufts, Emory, Georgetown, Tulane, Rush, Case Western, OHSU, UColo, Wake Forest, Jefferson, Temple, Northwestern, Brown, Dartmouth, Vermont... the list goes on.

Patient my friend. With those stats and ECs, you're certain to get yours in due time.

This. It's too early for you to panic. Especially considering you applied in July-August and then added some schools in September

I am a pretty good writer, 14 verbal on MCAT, English classes have always been my strong suit. I worked really hard on my PS, had a lot of people read it and give input, and I produced something that I felt good with.

I applied to quite the range 20-30 schools covers a lot of ground. UCs, USC, SUNYs, NYMC, Tufts, Emory, Georgetown, Tulane, Rush, Case Western, OHSU, UColo, Wake Forest, Jefferson, Temple, Northwestern, Brown, Dartmouth, Vermont... the list goes on.

Wow... Not making sense. You've got very strong numbers and a good range of schools, so not all of them 'too high' or 'too low' --

OK - So you write well. Could it be the content of your PS? What was the theme of your statement? Any chance you came off sounding like an arrogant jerk? (You haven't written that way here -- just fishing.)

HALP.

P.S OP - I know someone who had similar stats to you but a slightly lower MCAT and she didn't get any IIs until November. She ended up getting into 4 MD schools. so just try to be patient. Good luck!

CA residency? You're applying OOS everywhere, so they might be slow at responding. NYMC took two month for II for me, and my other II were for my in state schools and Jesuit med schools. (I went to Jesuit undergrad with good community service EC)

Just wait a bit longer, it's early.

Wow... Not making sense. You've got very strong numbers and a good range of schools, so not all of them 'too high' or 'too low' --

OK - So you write well. Could it be the content of your PS? What was the theme of your statement? Any chance you came off sounding like an arrogant jerk? (You haven't written that way here -- just fishing.)

I don't think so, if anything maybe I'd be the other way around-- I really hate the whole "selling myself" thing. Very generally, my essay was about little interactions and how they are meaningful, drawing on my research and a major volunteer experience. It is a "personal" personal statement so I feel a bit weird going into too much detail.

Guess I'll just have to wait.

One of my worries is that a lot of the schools with lower GPAs tend to be more community-focused and not so much research focused, and I wonder if they think I'm not a good fit. Then then school with more research focus have higher GPAs and they think I'm not competitive enough?

CA residency? You're applying OOS everywhere, so they might be slow at responding. NYMC took two month for II for me, and my other II were for my in state schools and Jesuit med schools. (I went to Jesuit undergrad with good community service EC)

Just wait a bit longer, it's early.

Yup CA resident. I was hoping to at least get one II from a UC... or USC! I was complete UCD, UCI, UCSD and USC in July!

But yeah I hear ya, I'll wait. It just sucks-- all the scribes I work with are going to interviews, and I got nothin'

Yup CA resident. I was hoping to at least get one II from a UC... or USC! I was complete UCD, UCI, UCSD and USC in July!

But yeah I hear ya, I'll wait. It just sucks-- all the scribes I work with are going to interviews, and I got nothin'
I feel your pain with the waiting game -- I'm also in limbo at 20+ schools. From what you said, I would be confident you'll be accepted somewhere though (eventually!)!

If you post your school list, people would probably be able to give you a better estimate of how long it takes for an II at those schools. Or check out the school-specific threads for those schools to see when people are getting II's in relation to your complete date.

Being a great writer doesn't make up for low stats or lack of things to write about. But OP is not in the low stat department so that doesn't matter.

It's not so much about your writing ability as what you write about. You can have the writing talent of someone who writes for the Atlantic, but if you don't write about something interesting you will not impress anyone. The people who I've found with the best PS's are the ones that can tell stories of their experiences and relate their passions very well. Writing ability surely helps, but you don't have to be a "great writer" in order to have a compelling PS.

It's med school, not some graduate literature program.

agreed. IMO the importance of the PS is overrated. maybe im wrong but based on things I've heard adcoms on here say, it doesn't seem to be as important as some think it is

agreed. IMO the importance of the PS is overrated. maybe im wrong but based on things I've heard adcoms on here say, it doesn't seem to be as important as some think it is

Where did you hear that? I've heard quite the opposite. Good PS tying it all together can make otherwise average applicant stand out and be accepted to many of his or her reach schools.

Secondaries? I'm assuming you mean IIs, and in that case, I have no reason to think there would be a red flag in my app. I knew my LOR writers really well and wouldn't dream of them writing me a bad rec. Besides a bad LOR what else constitutes a red flag? I have no felony convictions.. Haha. I got all my LORs sent to AMCAS in May and June so I know they aren't waiting on any letters. I can't think of anything else I could be missing.

My bad, yes. Idk why I wrote that.

If it makes you feel better, my friend last cycle (who is not in med school) didn't get her first interview until late October. Her stats were below yours.

Where did you hear that? I've heard quite the opposite. Good PS tying it all together can make otherwise average applicant stand out and be accepted to many of his or her reach schools.

Well I guess a better thing to say is I've seen its importance debated. it's not that it isn't important at all, I just don't think it's AS important as many people say it is. I'm not entirely convinced that it can make or break an applicant (unless it's really awful and in that case yes it will def hurt you). I would be happy to be proven otherwise though!

Check out this thread and read nicknaylor's comment - what he said, I've heard other people say which is why I feel the way I do

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=915956

IBeing a great writer doesn't make up for low stats or lack of things to write about. But OP is not in the low stat department so that doesn't matter.
Great writers can turn a routine trip to Wal-Mart into a literary orgasm.
It's not so much about your writing ability as what you write about. You can have the writing talent of someone who writes for the Atlantic, but if you don't write about something interesting you will not impress anyone. The people who I've found with the best PS's are the ones that can tell stories of their experiences and relate their passions very well. Writing ability surely helps, but you don't have to be a "great writer" in order to have a compelling PS.
Agreed, but having something to write about and being a great writer is the very best.
It's med school, not some graduate literature program.
It's not a graduate biochemistry program either. Science knowledge will get you through med school, won't really make you a good doctor. Knowing how to write is somewhat akin to knowing how to speak, which will can make you a good doctor.
lol

Well I guess a better thing to say is I've seen its importance debated. it's not that it isn't important at all, I just don't think it's AS important as many people say it is. I'm not entirely convinced that it can make or break an applicant (unless it's really awful and in that case yes it will def hurt you). I would be happy to be proven otherwise though!

Check out this thread and read nicknaylor's comment - what he said, I've heard other people say which is why I feel the way I do

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=915956

I don't think what he is saying is in disagreement with my point. He acknowledges that a bad PS can sink your application. He is also saying that the majority of PS all sound similar and do not give most applicants am edge. He is not saying anything about those who are able to pull of a great one. Also let's keep in mind that his opinion is opinion of one, albeit knowledgeable, person.

It's not a graduate biochemistry program either. Science knowledge will get you through med school, won't really make you a good doctor. Knowing how to write is somewhat akin to knowing how to speak, which will can make you a good doctor.

So I'm guessing you'll be terrible?

Haha just messin

I bet what happened is the first round of schools you applied to were pretty well-ranked and were all looking for something really specific. You said you only added more schools this month after you started to get nervous...I'm guessing those schools are lower ranked and most likely they haven't even gotten to your application. You applied early to the first wave of schools and even then you know that it took a while after your app was complete till they got to you, that lag time is much greater now. Just be patient, without a big red flag somewhere - and it doesn't sound like you have any - you will absolutely get in somewhere or about 90% of everyone else applying to med school is screwed, including me.

Last year, I had secondaries in early-mid october. My first II was the first week of December (2 months). I think that 2 months is a general time to wait

hmm, your app sounds very similar to mine (i'm also a CA resident). I feel like the OOS schools you applied to are a little safe with stats like yours. Maybe consider adding schools like NYU, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, U Pitt, WUSTL?

HALP.

I am a fellow CA applicant with very similar stats to yours. Have you had any rejections yet? I am fortunate to have gotten a few interviews, but I also have been rejected from 3 schools (UCI, UCSF, and Tulane... go figure on the last one). Many of the schools you applied to (USC, UCI, Tulane, and some others) have not been shy about handing out rejections, so if you haven't heard back yet, it probably means you're still in the running.

Does this affect how fast one receives an interview?

No, I think it can raise a red flag if a reapplicant hasn't significantly improved his or her application between cycles. Hypothetically, an applicant could have applied to some of the same schools before, interviewed and was then rejected the first time. A reapplication without a significant improvement could garner a straight rejection the second time. Similarly, if you do not receive an interview invite at a school the first time round, it is unlikely that you will during the second cycle - unless you have a significant improvement to your application.

I am a fellow CA applicant with very similar stats to yours. Have you had any rejections yet? I am fortunate to have gotten a few interviews, but I also have been rejected from 3 schools (UCI, UCSF, and Tulane... go figure on the last one). Many of the schools you applied to (USC, UCI, Tulane, and some others) have not been shy about handing out rejections, so if you haven't heard back yet, it probably means you're still in the running.

yes I have a few rejections, UCSF (shocker.) Pritzker, honestly I don't know why I applied there, and Boston University.

Best of luck to you! Glad to know I'm not the only one

I bet what happened is the first round of schools you applied to were pretty well-ranked and were all looking for something really specific. You said you only added more schools this month after you started to get nervous...I'm guessing those schools are lower ranked and most likely they haven't even gotten to your application. You applied early to the first wave of schools and even then you know that it took a while after your app was complete till they got to you, that lag time is much greater now. Just be patient, without a big red flag somewhere - and it doesn't sound like you have any - you will absolutely get in somewhere or about 90% of everyone else applying to med school is screwed, including me.

I definitely added on some less high-tier ones like NYMC, and more SUNYs, but I'd say I had a decent number of mid-tier ones in my initial batch of secondaries. Glad to know I'm not totally screwed.

hmm, your app sounds very similar to mine (i'm also a CA resident). I feel like the OOS schools you applied to are a little safe with stats like yours. Maybe consider adding schools like NYU, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, U Pitt, WUSTL?

Haha now you're just telling me what I want to hear! Unfortunately I doubt that, as I applied to some of the schools you've mentioned, but maybe they'll get around to me after they finish with other more impressive applicants

yes I have a few rejections, UCSF (shocker.) Pritzker, honestly I don't know why I applied there, and Boston University.

Best of luck to you! Glad to know I'm not the only one

Yeah, I too am waiting to hear from Wake, Emory, Colorado, etc. I'm guessing we just weren't in their superstar applicant pile for the earliest invites and hopeful they'll get to us later. Best of luck to you as well, and hang in there! You're a great applicant so something should happen soon!

Sure...

Nobody really cares about your PS. They're all some boring permutation of an anecdote leading you to medicine (appropriate, given the prompt, but still boring and unoriginal). Doesn't matter how flowery or poetic your writing is. The only time I've ever heard of the PS really mattering is if you've had some crazy experience that sheds a tremendous amount of light on who you are (ie you were in a war or something).

Grades
MCAT
Life experience through activities/research

Those are what really matter.

Nobody really cares about your PS. They're all some boring permutation of an anecdote leading you to medicine (appropriate, given the prompt, but still boring and unoriginal). Doesn't matter how flowery or poetic your writing is. The only time I've ever heard of the PS really mattering is if you've had some crazy experience that sheds a tremendous amount of light on who you are (ie you were in a war or something).

Grades
MCAT

Not true, I applied with pretty good stats late 34, 3.74 decent activities.

only 4 II/ 35 schools

Some people applied just as late as me with borderline stats -> 10+ II

Its not about your experience, its about how you write them. Seriously, good writers can make anything sound awesome.

Grades
MCAT

May or may not be true depending on the institution. At the five interviews I attended, I asked the interviewer why they think I was selected for interview; 4/5 times the first answer was my personal statement. Numbers are great and all, but when you've got a bunch of applicants with similar stats and ECs, excellent writing will likely put you at a significant advantage.