When you get married, what salary range would you want him/her to have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted444768

Would you marry someone with a low-income? How low? Or would you stick with someone who made 6-figures, like another doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

My wife will be pulling in 35-50 K as a teacher. Never really thought too much about my wifes income.

$0 - $100 Billion if I love her.

No, but seriously, if I can support a family just from my income it's alright if she stays home. I'd like her to be productive though. Maybe she'd be a volunteer somewhere.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The posts on this forum get more idiotic every time I log on here, which thankfully isnt more than once a month.

My wife will be pulling in 35-50 K as a teacher. Never really thought too much about my wifes income.

My fiancée will be subbing next year and will make less than that. We are hoping she can get a full time teaching job so her pay goes up to that range. We would live like kings on that income!

By next year, I will be making what my hubby will make entry level after his PhD (72K) and I will be a college sophomore. But it doesn't really bother me, at one point I was an illegal immigrant and he was the only breadwinner! After 5 years in his position though he will be well above $250k and 5 years for me average is $200k. It seems like our life will be a bit of a see-saw, I think I prefer it that way...no room for resentment.
If that didn't happen I cannot honestly say I would be happy, I'd probably try to push him into finding a passion that is better compensated! =)

My fiancée will be subbing next year and will make less than that. We are hoping she can get a full time teaching job so her pay goes up to that range. We would live like kings on that income!

No kidding right? Her salary and mine during residency would be enough income to live good enough....however, there are student loans :(

My fiance is an engineer, so not quite in the 6 figure range but nothing to complain about

One of those incomes is certainly enough to live on - whoever's it is. Two is certainly more comfortable financially, but...

One important thing to consider - A demanding career (like being a doctor) leaves a lot less energy for home and family. It can be very nice to have a spouse whose career is less demanding. Just don't be a douche about it and demean that person's contribution to the family's well-being.

Members don't see this ad :)
Around the range of the typical physician's salary.

I think their salary would be one of my last considerations honestly. Not the last, but certainly nowhere near the top. Compatibility and personality are far more important to me than income.

I never understood people who were living on mountains of cash but no true love to share it with. A trophy wife/husband a happy marriage does not make.

I think their salary would be one of my last considerations honestly. Not the last, but certainly nowhere near the top. Compatibility and personality are far more important to me than income.

I never understood people who were living on mountains of cash but no true love to share it with. A trophy wife/husband a happy marriage does not make.

Agreed, it won't matter if they make half a million dollars if I can't stand to be around them. I prefer to be supporting us both, while completely content, than to be rolling in cash without true happiness.

Would you marry someone with a low-income? How low? Or would you stick with someone who made 6-figures, like another doctor?

273749144a1547767279b236396425l.jpg

(Bout tree fiddy...)

Honestly.. I would like a stay at home dad.. I want children and I would like them to have the benefits of having a parent at home for atleast the first 5 years like I did.

I would prefer to date/marry a fellow person in healthcare, but not due to salary considerations.

I'd be fine marrying someone who wanted to be a stay-at-home parent or who made significantly less than I did, as long as:
1) What they did made them happy and they weren't coming home every night completely miserable from doing a job they hated.
2) They contributed to our partnership/family dynamic in some way (not every significant contribution in a relationship is a financial one).

Not necessarily my future salary, but someone in the medical field that can understand the hours of residency. :thumbup::)

I would like a decent wage. If significantly lower, prenup!

I'd prefer to marry someone with a career of her own, but I couldn't care less how much she makes.

The question itself is concerning.

You should marry because you love someone. It would be a shame to filter out your soul-mate based on socioeconomic status.

The question itself is concerning.

You should marry because you love someone. It would be a shame to filter out your soul-mate based on socioeconomic status.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

This is a sad way to go about choosing a life partner.

This is a sad way to go about choosing a life partner.

I would add that even taking it into consideration would be a shame - Especially from the prospective of someone who'll never be in need of money.

6 figures like another doctor? You mean like another surgeon? Or interventional cardiologist?

Seriously now, I never cared if she never worked another day in her life when I got married. It's irrelevant.
All you need is love like the Beatles well said.

We tend to choose mates who are best fit to reproduce with, and generally they come from educated families, which tend to be better off. I know I won't go shopping for a wife in the 'low end' of town, but I certainly wouldn't judge someone because of how much money they or their family has.

OP, love is unconditional, independent of wealth or social standing, but people tend to mate within their class.

By next year, I will be making what my hubby will make entry level after his PhD (72K) and I will be a college sophomore. But it doesn't really bother me, at one point I was an illegal immigrant and he was the only breadwinner! After 5 years in his position though he will be well above $250k and 5 years for me average is $200k. It seems like our life will be a bit of a see-saw, I think I prefer it that way...no room for resentment.
If that didn't happen I cannot honestly say I would be happy, I'd probably try to push him into finding a passion that is better compensated! =)

Just out of curiosity, how are you making $72-200k+ as a college sophomore and can I sign up?

Back to the question though, I could really care less. If she wants to be a stay at home mom, all the power to her (but not a stay at home wife who just mooches... unless she's a 10 ;)). If she wants to be the CEO of some big firm, I'm fine with that too.

My potential husband will prob be make 70 to 110 k once he finishes his phd, but will be prob make up to 250 k as he advances. That's fine with me. If it were a job with little salary advancement I'd be less inclined to date or be serious about someone who made less than 70k or who'd never make that much. I'm not going to be a sugar momma and I think marriages tend to be more successful when both parties can contribute.

depends....how much do models and strippers make?

I came from a family in which my dad made a lot less than my mom. Like 9 to 12 dollars and hour and their relationship has been a struggle. They bankrupted early on and fight about money all the time. It's not pretty and I'm realistic and know money is one of main reasons people divorce or have marriage problems. That and cheating.

I came from a family in which my dad made a lot less than my mom. Like 9 to 12 dollars and hour and their relationship has been a struggle. They bankrupted early on and fight about money all the time. It's not pretty and I'm realistic and know money is one of main reasons people divorce or have marriage problems. That and cheating.

I'm thinking that there were likely other problems in the relationship that were simply exposed by the money problems. If it wasn't money, it probably would be something else.

I don't care how much she makes. She just needs to be a US Citizen, your boy here needs a Greencard!!

jk lol

ok maybe semi srs

I'd prefer to marry someone with a career of her own, but I couldn't care less how much she makes.
Basically this. My wife stays home most of the time with the kids anyway, so we're relying on my income. My life is pretty decent most of the time, and that's with a resident's salary + her working 2 days/week.

I don't care. just want her to do something that she loves and feels fulfilled

OP, love is unconditional, independent of wealth or social standing, but people tend to mate within their class.

Lol I know that; I have a S.O. who I could care less what she makes. This question was brought up by my friend, who contemplated breaking up with his girlfriend because she decided to go into theater.

I would add that even taking it into consideration would be a shame - Especially from the prospective of someone who'll never be in need of money.

I agree that it definitely shouldn't be a top priority when choosing a mate, it definitely seems low but I wouldn't say it should be out of the question.

I say this because people with very low incomes tend to be people who did not go to college or just didn't establish steady careers. That's obviously a large generalization as there are many exceptions-- some people maybe just couldn't afford it.

But speaking for myself, I have a type A personality and I'm an ambitious person and I want to marry someone who cares about their career and is hard working. I'm not gonna marry some bum on the street who switches jobs every month, never established a career for themselves, has no direction, never graduated college and has no intention in trying or finding a career etc.. I just think my ambitious personality just wouldn't be compatible with someone like that.

The majority of people who graduate college will hold a decent job to support themselves so as long as they have that then I wouldn't have an issue.

And I'm a girl.. and I definitely don't want a stay at home husband. I'm very very old fashioned and I don't like the idea of me being the sole income of my family... I just think it's kinda weird and I'd get mad crap for it from so many people lol

I know theres many situations where the female does have to work and the male stays at home but if I have the option I would much rather my husband work.