When you retake DAT how does admissions view old and new scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smgood11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking the DAT on Monday. How does admissions look at old vs new scores. I know I am going to increase my TS by a lot but have been neglecting PAT and RC because I did so well the first time, mainly by chance (I barely studied those portions). If I do well on science this year but did better on PAT last year will they average my scores or take the better score? Or do they only look at current scores and see if I improved.

Members don't see this ad.

vast majority of schools will consider your most recent scores, some schools consider highest, but I was told directly by the dean of admission that they also consider the older ones too

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. At 2 out of 3 interviews they asked me why I took it twice. In one they asked what I did differently the second time. So no matter which scores they "take", assume that they will take note of both. :)

Good luck :). As a retaker myself confidence is truly the biggest key to killing it that second time

Good luck :). As a retaker myself confidence is truly the biggest key to killing it that second time
Heed these words!

OP, great job in preparing for TS. You have a day or two to review PAT and RC, do it. As long as your PAT is ~20ish range and doesn't go down a lot your second time, you'll be OK. Do not underestimate RC though, after TS it is the next most heavily weighed section. PAT can be learned and most schools don't care about QR much. But RC is important. Find the strategy that works best for you and stick to it.
As far as how schools view the exam, every school is different. They want to see improvement.
Other than that, take the next few days to recharge! And as already mentioned, confidence is key. You have to go in there and not let that test push you around. No matter what, you will walk out of Prometric, you will go to bed that night, and the sun will rise the next day. Although it's important, it's just a test.

Reactions: 1 user
Heed these words!

OP, great job in preparing for TS. You have a day or two to review PAT and RC, do it. As long as your PAT is ~20ish range and doesn't go down a lot your second time, you'll be OK. Do not underestimate RC though, after TS it is the next most heavily weighed section. PAT can be learned and most schools don't care about QR much. But RC is important. Find the strategy that works best for you and stick to it.
As far as how schools view the exam, every school is different. They want to see improvement.
Other than that, take the next few days to recharge! And as already mentioned, confidence is key. You have to go in there and not let that test push you around. No matter what, you will walk out of Prometric, you will go to bed that night, and the sun will rise the next day. Although it's important, it's just a test.
Schmoob is a very very wise man >: o

Reactions: 1 user