when you want to specialize after DDS, does undergraduate grade matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wkawk2416

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heard this recently,

so,, does undergraduate GPA or DAT score matter when you want to specialize?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this is all assumption..... but i would imagine no because wouldn't the grades you get in dental school and your boards carry more weight? i mean dental schools could care less about the grades you received in high school, so i would imagine it would follow that same trend where undergrad would be a distant memory.... but i could be wrong

yeah thats what i thought,,, but just wanted to clarify..

Members don't see this ad :)
heard this recently,

so,, does undergraduate grades matter when you want to specialize?

it does matter for SOME 6-year OMFS programs. You have to pass the med school admissions process which I suppose for some is more difficult than getting past the OMFS program director.

Your ugrad GPA goes into their med school averages...so they dont want you to ruin it.

You will have to send all of your transcripts to the schools. Do they look at them is the question and if so how heavily is it weighted?

what if your dental school is on pass/fail system and you wouldn't get any gpa in dental school, considering that boards would be pass or fail system how specializing programs decide about their applicants? would you think the undergraduate GPA has some effects in this situation?

Last edited:
Yes, in a way it can matter. Here's why ..... getting involved in research during dental school is a very good thign to do and sometimes an expected thing to do in order to get accepted into some dental residency programs. Some researchers want their research assistants to have previous research experience. So, by having a biology or chemistry degree where you must do some sort of research project in undergrad, you help your chances of getting a summer research grant with one of the dental researchers at yor dental school. Is it necessary to have the dental research in undergrad to get a research position? Some schools yes and some no. No matter what, the previos research experience helps your case.

navy dds, its a good point and thanks for responding

however, would admission committee take consideration of undergraudate gpa or dat score when they accept for specialization..

Emory's 6yr OMFS requires a 3.5 in undergraduate.

On the PASS application (for residencies), it asks you for your undergrad GPA, but I couldn't find a place for your DAT score (I really doubt it will ever matter again). However, I've been told that undergrad GPA has much less significance than anything else.