Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

when you want to specialize after DDS, does undergraduate grade matter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by wkawk2416, Dec 7, 2008.

1. wkawk2416

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    heard this recently,

so,, does undergraduate GPA or DAT score matter when you want to specialize?

#1 wkawk2416, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. left high n dry

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    this is all assumption..... but i would imagine no because wouldn't the grades you get in dental school and your boards carry more weight? i mean dental schools could care less about the grades you received in high school, so i would imagine it would follow that same trend where undergrad would be a distant memory.... but i could be wrong

4. wkawk2416

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah thats what i thought,,, but just wanted to clarify..

5. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    it does matter for SOME 6-year OMFS programs. You have to pass the med school admissions process which I suppose for some is more difficult than getting past the OMFS program director.

Your ugrad GPA goes into their med school averages...so they dont want you to ruin it.

6. JSQUARED

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will have to send all of your transcripts to the schools. Do they look at them is the question and if so how heavily is it weighted?

7. ddswillbeback

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what if your dental school is on pass/fail system and you wouldn't get any gpa in dental school, considering that boards would be pass or fail system how specializing programs decide about their applicants? would you think the undergraduate GPA has some effects in this situation?

#6 ddswillbeback, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  8. Yes, in a way it can matter. Here's why ..... getting involved in research during dental school is a very good thign to do and sometimes an expected thing to do in order to get accepted into some dental residency programs. Some researchers want their research assistants to have previous research experience. So, by having a biology or chemistry degree where you must do some sort of research project in undergrad, you help your chances of getting a summer research grant with one of the dental researchers at yor dental school. Is it necessary to have the dental research in undergrad to get a research position? Some schools yes and some no. No matter what, the previos research experience helps your case.

9. wkawk2416

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    navy dds, its a good point and thanks for responding

however, would admission committee take consideration of undergraudate gpa or dat score when they accept for specialization..

10. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Emory's 6yr OMFS requires a 3.5 in undergraduate.

11. joeDDS

joeDDS *UCSF Class of 2013*
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    On the PASS application (for residencies), it asks you for your undergrad GPA, but I couldn't find a place for your DAT score (I really doubt it will ever matter again). However, I've been told that undergrad GPA has much less significance than anything else.

12. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Emory... :love: