When you're OOS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbbie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I look on this site every day, so though I'm sure this question has been answered before here, I don't remember ever seeing the answer.

If you've made it to the interview stage as an out of state applicant, are you still at a disadvantage compared to the in-staters, or are you then on the level with the rest of the applicants.

I'm thinking specifically of Wisconsin ...

Members don't see this ad.

From US News & World Report

Medical College of Wisconsin

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 5,645 701 475 204
In-state: 552 208 160 96
Out-of-state: 5,093 493 315 108
Women: 2,516 329 218 91
Minorities: N/A N/A N/A N/A
International: 170 5 3 2

University of Wisconsin--Madison

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 2,602 630 277 163
In-state: 637 502 197 139
Out-of-state: 1,965 128 80 24
Women: 1,192 335 148 87
Minorities: 468 0 28 10
International: 0 0 0 0

Very helpful, thank you. Looking at that I'm thinking that yes, you are on level field at interview stage. At least for UW madison, which is I was wondering about.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problemo!

We need to unite and boost eachother's confidence levels..

I look on this site every day, so though I'm sure this question has been answered before here, I don't remember ever seeing the answer.

If you've made it to the interview stage as an out of state applicant, are you still at a disadvantage compared to the in-staters, or are you then on the level with the rest of the applicants.

I'm thinking specifically of Wisconsin ...

only if the school gives instate preference, which is usually dependent on how much funds they recieve from the state.

It will very by school, just look for the stats on the sites of the schools you want to go to other than posted earlier.

A few of the schools have told me at interviews that, if you have gotten there, the OOS factor no longer counts against you. It seems (for many schools) that getting the interview is harder OOS, but once you manage that, it is a level playing field.

I've gotten an acceptance from Wisconsin OOS- just to prove that not everything out of my mouth is complete bollocks.

SF

Yea it seems the playing field is more even once an oos person reaches the interview stage. I think looking at the US News report of interviewed/accepted stats for all of your schools will help determine that. Most schools I looked at and applied to, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting accepted once you have the interview no matter if you are in state or oos.