Wher should I work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipaww

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all.. i am a reapplicant and i am trying to figure out what to do this year. I have two opportunities. One is to do clinical research at UCLA with the prospect of getting published. The second in health education with youth. most of my experinces in the past have been with health education/outreach/public health. i neven did bench research in undergrad. i would like the health job better but im thinking the clinical is better for my application ?? I need some sound advise .. help???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Well... since you already have a lot of health education experience... I'd say do the research at UCLA. You want to have a wide range of experiences...

Good luck :)

I echo RP.

Do somethign unique. Perhaps get a publication. I am not saying that makes or breaks you, but a pub never hurt anybody. Go with the research.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys .. it think you are right , but its tough when your desires dont match what is probably the best choice;)

randomly!!!! The Beatles Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to be contrary and make your decision more difficult, but I say go with what you love to do. Research is NOT necessary for med school admission. Passion for something and depth of experience is. I would concentrate on honing the rest of your application. I don't think it was lack of research that kept you out. I got several acceptances last cycle without any research experience, and with only average stats. Figure out what the weakness(es) were in your application and concentrate your effort there. Good luck!!:)

Originally posted by SMW
Sorry to be contrary and make your decision more difficult, but I say go with what you love to do.

I strongly disagree with this statement. I believe it's very important for people (especially students who want to be professionals) to gain as much experience as possible in different areas. It takes a lot of maturity to say "well, I don't really want to do this... but I will... because it will be a great learning experience."

We can't only do what immediately appeals to us... that's not how we grow. It's not mature, and it's not professional. Learning and gaining a broad range of experiences should be every students top priority.

Yes... when choosing a career... definitely do what you love to do. However, this isn't your career... this is just a temporary job.

I can't tell you how many times I've not wanted to do something because I didn't think I'd enjoy it... but then did it anyway and learned a lot and really enjoyed myself.

Take this for what it's worth... but I strongly suggest you do the research. If you like it... then you'll be happy you took the chance. If you don't like it... then you'll have one more good experience under your belt... and you'll know for sure that you don't want to do research.

hey all,, thanks for all the advise.. i think both of them I could get in to .. meaning like them and being passionate about them.. im just trying my best to make a thought out decision.. and i think your right rel prime.. it would be a challenge as far as going against my normal flow of likings and perhaps developing skills that I never thought i even had;))) but your also right smw that what you will shine in an endeavor when you are passionate about it. as far as addressing my problem.. it is my MCAT score where i recieved 10 and 11's in the sciences but on two different sittings. goe a 10 in ps the 1st time and an 11 in bio the second, unfortunately my ps went down to an 8 the second time??? most of the schools i have spoken to focus on my MCATS.. its just a shame that they are not taking into consideration both tests..ive considered retaking the MCAT and after much advise against it it decided not to .. ..im really looking for something that will push me over the borderline edge.

I gently want to repeat what RP said. Although I respect SMW's opinion a lot, I do think that it is important to get a variety of experience. It can't hurt you to do that. Take me for example:

I worked with a children's organisation for 4 years. I loved working with the children and for a while even thought about Pediatrics. By the end of the fourth year, I felt a bit burned out and lacking of inspiration. Perhaps it got too old and repetitive after a while. Not knowing what i wanted to do next, I looked for things that sparked my interest. And next thing i know, I am working with physicians in an OB/Gyn clinic. I absolutely fell in LOVE with OB/Gyn....and this is perhaps what I'll do later in life.

BUT.... (hehehe..there's always a BUTT)
Since the last year, I've been working in Geriatrics with terminally ill people. And that is a whole different field, something ELSE I have fallen in love with. My point is--do what sparks your interest. Not what "fits" your profile. Do something absolutely new and different, but also somethign that will keep you interested for a year. I did bench work for a summer and it was a 10 week program. By the 9th week, I was about to call it quits because I absolutely abhorred coming to work everyday and washing stuff and weighing stuff and doing RIAs. One year of that would surely kill me.

So, now if I go to an interview, I will be able to say that although I have done research for 5 years, I don't think I could step into a lab. However, I do love clinical research and find myself at home doing research on human subjects. Not only does it get me close to the "intellectual and detective" side of medicine, but I have been able to have clinical experiences that have taught me many, many lessons.

Now, do you think that at the end of one year, you will be able to say something similar about your "new" position?

Does it make you smile when you talk about the kind of research you are doing? Does it excite you to know that even IF you don't get paid.....or don't get a publication...hell, even if you have to work on weekends, do you will still think it's a worthwhile experience? If you can seriously say YES to all these questions, then that is the right choice for you.

So think hard about what you want to do, and don't hurry into any decisions. You have one year (and i know its' hard but think of it as time granted to you for more personal growth) to make something ELSE out of your application, and yourself. Don't forget that this is one year out of yourself. take the time and learn something new that not only adds to your application, but adds a new .....meaning to "YOU." Something that gives you personal growth, somethign that you are going to carry in your heart and mind even after you finish that one year and moved onto something else. Love what you do.

If I were you, I would try a whole different option. Perhaps do a few months in a different country ((if you are out of school)) because I've always wanted to travel. Anyway, your opportunities are limitless. Make the most of your time. My best wishes to you, and keep us updated!!

I noticed your a CA resident - The adcom directors from the UC's came to my school and their advice was this -

It is good to have different experiences but esp. IF they show some consistency.

In other words, do the research if the focus of the research echoes your other experiences. If it is in a totally different area, I would say do the health w/ youth job and then talk about the longstanding commitment you have to public health, etc.

Good luck w/ your decision !

hey guys thanks for all the great dvise.. i decided to take the clinical research position, i think it will be a great experience. plus i can live at home and save some flow for the long years of being broke!!!!! while this position isnt exactly in line with my past experiences... i surely relates to my personal life.. and i think in the end much of it is how your present the expereince to adcom:))) thanks again and good luck everyone!