Where am I in-state? Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBI831

legend in the making
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal. i've lived in tennessee for the past 5 years and finished highschool here and all. but now my fam is most definitely moving to a different state and we'll have a house and all that there(ie proof of residency). i'm about to start my senior year in college(so i will have one year of living in this new state before med school). this new state(IL) has a better med school for in-state etc so i was just wondering if i am in state for illinois or for tennessee? or maybe at neither now.

Members don't see this ad.

If your in the state of Illinois for 1 year then you are considered a resident in Illinois:)

It's different for each state, but Google tells me hellodoc is right: 1 year in Illinois prior to application at UI gives you residency status. It could also vary by school, weirdly enough, but it usually is controlled by state law.

Note that if you are independent, it doesn't matter where your parents move, so if you are staying in Tennessee for school while an independent, you'll remain a resident of Tennessee.

Members don't see this ad :)
EBI831 said:
So here's the deal. i've lived in tennessee for the past 5 years and finished highschool here and all. but now my fam is most definitely moving to a different state and we'll have a house and all that there(ie proof of residency). i'm about to start my senior year in college(so i will have one year of living in this new state before med school). this new state(IL) has a better med school for in-state etc so i was just wondering if i am in state for illinois or for tennessee? or maybe at neither now.

depending on that mcat score you'll be getting soon, the quality of the state school may be less important as the state school may become your "safety school" (yeah ppl bring it on, i said there is such a thing). However you need to have a sure state school to apply to, so make sure to contact both ut and ui about your situation and see what they say about residency, you might luck out and be able to get instate at both or you might get burned at both if you can't show the correct documents for state residency.

ps we need to talk at lunch and learn ;)

quantummechanic said:
depending on that mcat score you'll be getting soon, the quality of the state school may be less important as the state school may become your "safety school" (yeah ppl bring it on, i said there is such a thing). However you need to have a sure state school to apply to, so make sure to contact both ut and ui about your situation and see what they say about residency, you might luck out and be able to get instate at both or you might get burned at both if you can't show the correct documents for state residency.

ps we need to talk at lunch and learn ;)

I have a similar situation. I moved to NC for work and school. I have been here about year and half, and will be here 2 1/2 years by the time I apply to med school. But-- all my family is back in CO. I heard that you are still considered a dependent, even if you aren't until 24 yo. Hopefully that is an urban myth. Otherwise I have one med school then in CO, rather than 3 here that somewhat prefer NC residents.

lynn623la said:
I have a similar situation. I moved to NC for work and school. I have been here about year and half, and will be here 2 1/2 years by the time I apply to med school. But-- all my family is back in CO. I heard that you are still considered a dependent, even if you aren't until 24 yo. Hopefully that is an urban myth. Otherwise I have one med school then in CO, rather than 3 here that somewhat prefer NC residents.

I think that's a myth. That is true for the purposes of financial aid, but I don't think it's true for determining residency. The big factor seems to be whether or not your parents claim you as dependent on their tax returns. If they do, then you might be a CO resident.

lynn623la said:

utah had a rule like that, but i found out it only applied to kids of divorced parents. It wont count if your parents are still together and you are no longer a dependent on their tax forms.

exlawgrrl said:
I think that's a myth. That is true for the purposes of financial aid, but I don't think it's true for determining residency. The big factor seems to be whether or not your parents claim you as dependent on their tax returns. If they do, then you might be a CO resident.
:thumbup: If you are filing your own tax returns and your parents aren't claiming you then you are a NC resident. If your parents are still claiming you then you are a CO resident. Although some states have different guidelines about all of this. But that is pretty much the rule of thumb.

md mayhem said:
utah had a rule like that, but i found out it only applied to kids of divorced parents. It wont count if your parents are still together and you are no longer a dependent on their tax forms.

Uh-oh my parents are divorced.

But they both do not claim me as dependents, or not to my knowledge. Is there any way to prevent them from claiming me? I guess the whole emancipated stuff, right? I'm 20 y.o. soon to be 21 by the way.

THanks everyone for all the input!

lynn623la said:

But they both do not claim me as dependents, or not to my knowledge. Is there any way to prevent them from claiming me? I guess the whole emancipated stuff, right? I'm 20 y.o. soon to be 21 by the way.

Ask them

I moved to a new state and the state school i want to apply to says that you have to have worked in that state for 1 year - you can't just go to school during that year and be considered in-state.

cdngirl80 said:
I moved to a new state and the state school i want to apply to says that you have to have worked in that state for 1 year - you can't just go to school during that year and be considered in-state.
another good point.

I have a similar situation. I've lived in MA my entire life, went to private school in CT, but recently moved from a house to an apartment. Big family though... my mom can't put all of us on the lease. Since I'm in college, I'm not technically a resident at my mom's apartment... though my liscence does say I am. Can I still claim MA as my state of residence?

You haven't worked full-time and you have only attended CT for academic purposes. Most states/schools will not consider you a resident of CT but of MA.

*edited* sorry I messed up what I was trying to say.

Schools usually require residency of up to 12 months. If you are a student and still use your permanent address as something other than where you live (like your parents address) your state residence would most likely lay with your former state.

EBI831 said:

I moved to IL immediately before submitting AMCAS as an IL resident. For IL, you need to be a working (not attending school unless you are independent from parents) resident for at least 12 months prior to MATRICULATION. It is not necessary to be here for 12 months before application.

lynn623la said:

the best way to figure out what you need to do is to contact your state school and ask them. What I think the 24 year old rule means, is that if your parents get a divorce, and you move with one of them to another state, you can still be considered in-state at your original state if you have been away from that state for an extended period of time, provided your other parent remained in that state... confusing, i know. again call the school up and find out who you need talk to..

md mayhem said:
the best way to figure out what you need to do is to contact your state school and ask them. What I think the 24 year old rule means, is that if your parents get a divorce, and you move with one of them to another state, you can still be considered in-state at your original state if you have been away from that state for an extended period of time, provided your other parent remained in that state... confusing, i know. again call the school up and find out who you need talk to..

Thanks so much!