Where are latinos appliying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlos5272

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola applicantes!
I was just wondering were all of the future latino doctors are applying to.
Que Dios los bendiga en todo!!

Los

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Carlos :D
I haven't made my final list yet as I've been focusing on the August MCAT :eek: but I do know I'm definitely applying to the DC area schools and all the Cali state schools!
Y tu??

Hey kitty.

Well, since I live in Tennessee, I will be applying to Vanderbilt and UTenn next cycle(I'll be applying next year). I really like Baylor and some of the Texas schools. I was thinking about the Cali schools, but I heard it was a really expensive state to live in. I'll probably apply mostly in the southeast.
Buena suerte con todo. Espero que te escojan en tu universidad favorita.

Los

Members don't see this ad :)
Hay nada mas dos applicantes latinos?

UMiami anyone? Aqui en Miami, espanol parece ser como una lengua oficial

Quiero ir a UAB por que soy residente de Alabama.

soy residente de tejas, entonces estoy aplicando a todas las escuelas en tejas. pueden ver mi lista completa en mi mdapps.

Yo se que hay mas applicantes hispanos. Porfavor no tengan pena! Es muy importante saber donde van a estudiar los futuros doctores latinos. Asi podemos saber adonde van personas que viven nuestra cultura. Tambien podemos conocer otras personas que entienden este esfuerso que estamos haciendo. Necesitamos mas doctores hispanos en este pais lleno de latinos!!

Estoy applicando a Ponce y UCC en Puerto Rico. Tambien estoy applicando a USF, UF, y FSU.

Para que sepas, no es tan caro vivir aqui en California. Si estas pensando en comprar tu propria casa pues...si, es un poco complicado. Pero en cuanto a vivir aqui como estudiante--se me hace normal.

I UNDERSTAND!!! I UNDERSTAND!!!! my four years in HS paid off!!!!! WHHHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
yo a todas las esuelas publicas aqui en tejas, que son siete. mi preferencia es TCOM en ft. worth pero la verdad es que iria a donde me acceptarian. tambien tengo aplicaciones en 10 escuelas osteopathic por todo el pais. buena suerte a todos ustedes. que llege pronto el dia en que todos juntos puedamos ayudar eradicar los problemas que sufrimos nosotros, el pueblo latino.

Dios mio! Santo cielo!!! Yo entiendo todo de que estan diciendo!! Yo soy un arabe, pero voy a tener un "minor" en espanol, y luego, aplicare a la escuela de medicina en Miami, para utilizar mis habilidades del lengua espanol!!! Me esperen mucha suerte!!!

jtorres said:
que llege pronto el dia en que todos juntos puedamos ayudar eradicar los problemas que sufrimos nosotros, el pueblo latino.

I agree, but "el pueblo latino" needs to change some of its ways before we can become mainstream in American society. Many of the problems we face are a vicious cycle of our own behavior patterns. I speak from my experiences (and the experiences of my siblings) as a middle school teacher. 90% of my students were adamantly opposed to learning, and they treated me like an enemy! How the hell can we better ourselves if many young latinos refuse to embrace education? I was so disappointed that I left after one year. (I worked at a school in East Los Angeles, by the way. And like many of my students, I too was dirt poor growing up, so that's no excuse!)

No soy latino! Pero ya que soy de Los Angeles aprendia espanol. Buena suerte a todos los latinos

En cual escuela (en Los Angeles) trabajaste?

riceman04 said:
No soy latino! Pero ya que soy de Los Angeles aprendia espanol. Buena suerte a todos los latinos

En cual escuela (en Los Angeles) trabajaste?

It's called Hollenbeck Middle School. It's an inner-city school 2 miles east of Downtown that's 99% latino.

Esteban said:
I agree, but "el pueblo latino" needs to change some of its ways before we can become mainstream in American society. Many of the problems we face are a vicious cycle of our own behavior patterns. I speak from my experiences (and the experiences of my siblings) as a middle school teacher. 90% of my students were adamantly opposed to learning, and they treated me like an enemy! How the hell can we better ourselves if many young latinos refuse to embrace education? I was so disappointed that I left after one year. (I worked at a school in East Los Angeles, by the way. And like many of my students, I too was dirt poor growing up, so that's no excuse!)

I think this is a generalization. As you sure know, not all latinos are the same because we come from different countries. I can only speak for the people from my country (Colombia), but I can tell you that colombians value education a lot, and most people hold professional degrees. Unfortunately, there are no jobs for so many people, but that is another story. I don't want to start a war with people from other countries and origins, but attitutes do change from country to country. I agree that we definitely need to change things for kids growing up here, but I think their attitude also comes from the extremely low expectations from others. Never thinking of myself as a minority student while growing up, after coming to this country I realized that people do think you are not smart because you are hispanic, and it is quite exhausting having to prove people wrong all the time.

I just want to say that all of you who are studying Spanish in school and who have left messages here are so cute :) You make me smile. :D

Esteban said:

your story seem identical to mine. i too taught middle school for one year (seventh grade science) and that was a year too much. I worked at a school in East Dallas- my very own hood. i'm gonna use your same words to sum up my experiece- "90% of my students were adamantly opposed to learning, and they treated me like an enemy!". but what about that other 10%? you mean to tell me that in that year you dont think you could've made a difference? its these 10 % who we as young latino teachers want to reach. we have to keep them from falling thru the cracks. the other 90%? f'em. we cant do anything to help them. i truly dont want to sound like a calvanist but it is what it is. that 10% consists of students like me and you. its that 10% that needs to strive to make a difference. dont give up on our people so easily.

I feel that latinos(along with every other minority group) are stereotyped. People only see what they want to see. As a hispanic-american (mi familia es de Honduras), I am viewed as a very good laborer, but not smart enough to find a job where I will need to use my brains in. I can't blame anyone for thinking that, though, because that is what they see latinos doing. Only working either in construction or lawncare(all manual labor jobs). If only more latinos would use the numerous gifts they have. I wish people could see the many obstacles we face everyday which we have overcome and see how many young hispanics are trying to do great things with their lives( like each one of us trying to get into medical school). We are the future and need to strive to become the best leaders that we can be. I am so encouraged to read everyone on this thread and see how so many latinos are striving to use all of the gifts they have to get into medical school.
Todos nosotros somos indespensables en este mundo!!!!
Sigan adelante latinos.

carlos5272 said:
I am so encouraged to read everyone on this thread and see how so many latinos are striving to use all of the gifts they have to get into medical school.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think as a group, we are our own worst enemy. It's easy to say "society did this to me, society did that," but we need to buckle down and get our **** together. Like the 90% (my students) I was talking about, they are going to be pissed off when the life they are living sucks! Who's fault is it? I say it is mostly their own fault! Who cares if society doesn't expect us to achieve anything? I sure don't! In fact, society's minimal expectations give me more motivation to succeed!

And to Jennifer Lopez, Mexican and Central American immigrants tend to not value education as much as our South American counterparts. You can say it's stereotyping, but that is what I've seen and continue to see!

The way I see it is like this: if you really, REALLY want something, you will work your @$$ off to get it! It's so easy to not work hard, and complain about how society is screwing you over.

jtorres said:
your story seem identical to mine. i too taught middle school for one year (seventh grade science) and that was a year too much. I worked at a school in East Dallas- my very own hood. i'm gonna use your same words to sum up my experiece- "90% of my students were adamantly opposed to learning, and they treated me like an enemy!". but what about that other 10%? you mean to tell me that in that year you dont think you could've made a difference? its these 10 % who we as young latino teachers want to reach. we have to keep them from falling thru the cracks. the other 90%? f'em. we cant do anything to help them. i truly dont want to sound like a calvanist but it is what it is. that 10% consists of students like me and you. its that 10% that needs to strive to make a difference. dont give up on our people so easily.

You're right. My focus should've been the 10%. But for me, the 90% didn't let me help the 10% :(. I haven't given up on us yet, though.

No soy latino, pero hice quedarme a un Holiday Inn anoche!

Esteban said:
It's called Hollenbeck Middle School. It's an inner-city school 2 miles east of Downtown that's 99% latino.

Yeah East LA is definitely one of the areas with a heavy heavy heavy concentration...Huntinton Park is the same.

Esteban said:
And to Jennifer Lopez, Mexican and Central American immigrants tend to not value education as much as our South American counterparts. You can say it's stereotyping, but that is what I've seen and continue to see!

Estoy de acuerdo. Trabajo en una clinica en chicago, en un barrio mexicano, y por la mayoria he visto eso. Una gran parte de los imigrantes mexicanos aqui no valoran la educacion, o por lo menos les parece estar fuera de su alcanse. Yo soy boliviano, y de lo que yo he visto, imigrantes sudamericanos tiended a tener otra perspectiva. Pero....no todos son asi. He conocido familias mexicanas que valoran la educacion, y familias bolivianas, peruanas que no. Tambien tiene algo que ver que no es tan simple entrar a los estados unidos desde sudamerica, o sea, no se puede cruzar un rio no mas. Asi que la gente que tiende a venir desde sudamerica tienen un poquito mas de recursos para comenzar, y la consecuencias son mas graves si les pescan (si has guardado todo tu dinero para hacer la venida, imaginense tener que comenzar from scratch cuando te deportan)

Una cosa que he notado es que las familias que ponen enfasis en la educacion tienden a ser mas asimiladas a la cultura americana a las que no. Es como si la gente que vive en barrios latinos no vieran mas alla del "comfort zone" que es su barrio. Lastimosamente, las escuelas en estos barrios no son espectaculares, y las familias no tienen los rescursos que otras familias con mas dinero tienen.

Cuando he llegado al nivel de la universidad, he notado que los estudiantes latinos son buenos, trabajan fuerte, y les importa hacerlo bien. Pero la mayoria de latinos no llegan a college. Y eso se debe a varias corrientes sociales; there's a reason why one poster was saying it's 90% of kids in that community who are opposed to school, and only 10% who make it through.

Entonces imaginense, de los pocos hispanos que llegan a entrar a college y terminar, cuantos de esos pocos podran entrar a medicina. I agree that if someone has the sincere drive, they will accomplish many great things, pero no todos tienen eso, y para algunos depende que tipo de "support network" they have. Aunque uno quisiera pensar que solo necesitamos hard work, no es tan simple la cosa. en mis post-bacc clases, todos eran blancos, asiaticos, o arabes. Era el unico hispano. Tome un prep course para el MCAT, y en uno de los practice exams, en un lecture hall lleno de 300 personas, yo y la mexicana a mi lado nos hemos dado cuenta que eramos los unicos hispanos. A la gente que parecia ser hispana (de cara) les preguntabamos, y ninguno era (eran filipinos o algo asi).

Asi que para todos que han llegado a este punto de estar aplicando a medicina, you've come a long way. :)

jbl16 said:
Como estan todos? Miren mi MD apps link abajo para ver a donde estoy aplicando.

Hey, good luck with the apps! I guess I'll see you this yr at UM and maybe the yr after at the med school :thumbup:

Hispanic here. I wonder why it's important to know where other hispanics in SDN are applying to? I was hoping SDN would be spared from another "are there any [ethnic group]"thread? Oh well. C'est la vie.

MercuryX said:
Hispanic here. I wonder why it's important to know where other hispanics in SDN are applying to? I was hoping SDN would be spared from another "are there any [ethnic group]"thread? Oh well. C'est la vie.

because we can. just like you can post here so can we. we arent being disrespectful to others and are only offering encouragement to one another. in case you havent noticed there are a few non-hispanics who are contributing positive comments also. no one made made you click on this post and no one sure as heck made you reply. ive read plenty of other "are there any ---" threads on this site and you havent seemed to have a problem with those. whats with that? ciao.

jtorres said:
because we can. just like you can post here so can we. we arent being disrespectful to others and are only offering encouragement to one another. in case you havent noticed there are a few non-hispanics who are contributing positive comments also. no one made made you click on this post and no one sure as heck made you reply. ive read plenty of other "are there any ---" threads on this site and you havent seemed to have a problem with those. whats with that? ciao.

Now, now. Play nice :laugh:.

jdm34721,

You made some really valid points about the differences between Mexican/Central American immigrants and South American immigrants. People from South America do tend to have more resources available to them. And, in many, many cases, Mexican and Central American immigrants are wretchedly poor! Those who are educated and middle class tend to stay in their countries. The result, then, is an influx of very poor people who do not value education because they were not educated themselves!

Using myself as an example, my parents had 5 children. In the 1980s (when we were growing up), the only person bringing in money was my father. He made, at most, $8.75 per hour through the 1980s. My parents never told us to do well in school because that wasn't a big priority to them- paying the bills was! 4 out of the 5 of us managed to get through school, and it was definitely tough! We've had to work through school, and didn't enjoy the luxuries that some other students enjoy (e.g., undergrads at UCLA with BMWs their daddy bought them :laugh: ). In the end, though, we did get through school!

Albeit our society is not perfect, American society is probably the best in the world. I probably would not have had the opportunities in Mexico that I've had here. To all the latinos who want to pursue medicine, it is difficult, but if you truly want it, you will make it! I'm not there yet, but I've been working my @$$ off to make sure I do :).

Aren't all the latinos applying to the Texas schools?

Vvandenn said:
Aren't all the latinos applying to the Texas schools?

I am two years away from applying. Not applying to Texas schools though. I cannot imagine myself ever leaving Califronia, though realistically, I will probably have to.