where are medical school interviews held?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bob Doe

The four yonko of medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NY resident applying to every MD school in NY, and plenty away from NY too like Texas and California. My question is if I apply to these schools far away from me and they ask me to come in for an interview will I have to travel back and forth to Texas and California or wherever each time I have an interview and for each school that wants to interview me or can I save the air fare and interview for these schools in my home state ?

If this has been asked before and I'm sure it has, I apologize but if I found it I wouldn't be writing this thread, please someone give me an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much. Start racking up some air fare points!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a NY resident applying to every MD school in NY, and plenty away from NY too like Texas and California. My question is if I apply to these schools far away from me and they ask me to come in for an interview will I have to travel back and forth to Texas and California or wherever each time I have an interview and for each school that wants to interview me or can I save the air fare and interview for these schools in my home state ?

If this has been asked before and I'm sure it has, I apologize but if I found it I wouldn't be writing this thread, please someone give me an answer.
99% of the time interviews are at the medical school. In some rare circumstances, med schools will do phone interviews, but they usually only do this when the interviewee is currently living outside of the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you will travel to the actual school and have your interview there. You'll meet current students and receive a tour of their educational/medical facilities. Most people who apply broadly end up traveling quite a bit (so save up some $$).

note: it's sometimes possible to set up back to back interviews in the same city, but don't count on it from the start.

You will interview at the school. People will fly from abroad (think South America, South Korea in a certain SDNer's case) to interview. Best prepare or don't apply to schools where you don't think you would be able to attend the interview for money reasons.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous but you gotta travel to that school..I wish that they would hold remote interviews..we have all this communications technology and yet they still require us to waste time and money just getting to the damn interview...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you will travel to the actual school and have your interview there. You'll meet current students and receive a tour of their educational/medical facilities. Most people who apply broadly end up traveling quite a bit (so save up some $$).

note: it's sometimes possible to set up back to back interviews in the same city, but don't count on it from the start.

How does one travel all over the country for interviews and finish up their final semester of college at the same time ?

How does one travel all over the country for interviews and finish up their final semester of college at the same time ?
By going without sleep for days at a time. True story.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous but you gotta travel to that school..I wish that they would hold remote interviews..we have all this communications technology and yet they still require us to waste time and money just getting to the damn interview...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed this makes me reconsider how many schools I apply to

With careful planning, missing classes, making up homework, stress, coffee, tolerance for delayed flights, and $$.

There are a ton of schools closer to NY than Texas and Cali... So many schools in NY and bordering states. No need to apply all over the country unless you really like a school or really want to live in a particular region of the U.S.

With careful planning, missing classes, making up homework, stress, coffee, tolerance for delayed flights, and $$.

There are a ton of schools closer to NY than Texas and Cali... So many schools in NY and bordering states. No need to apply all over the country unless you really like a school or really want to live in a particular region of the U.S.

Agreed. Just from these states alone you can have well over 10 schools to apply to.

Some schools will do skype interviews, but that's only under extenuating circumstances.

I also plan on applying to nearby states such as new jersey , Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. I know this is not a geography forum but which other states have somewhat nearby schools(no flying).

You should also keep in mind that certain states (especially Texas) have strong preference for in-state students. Public Texas medical schools are required to fill 90% of their class with in-state students.

You should also keep in mind that certain states (especially Texas) have strong preference for in-state students. Public Texas medical schools are required to fill 90% of their class with in-state students.

Do you know if NY is the same way, and congrats!

I also plan on applying to nearby states such as new jersey , Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. I know this is not a geography forum but which other states have somewhat nearby schools(no flying).

Sometimes it's more convenient to fly. I'm from NYC and flew to interviews within the state because it was more convenient instead of wasting a whole day sitting on a bus

Do you know if NY is the same way, and congrats!

the SUNY schools have a preference for in-state students, not as much as texas state schools
the MSAR has all the information you'll ever want/need. i recommend you get it and definitely don't apply to UT schools, it's a different application and will eventually be a waste of time and money.

one good thing about med school admissions (as opposed to residency) is that once you get accepted you can reconsider your upcoming interviews and cancel the ones that you don't want to go to

Dude. Don't apply to schools in Cali and Texas. Save some money.

Yep, you have to fly all over. Or bus/drive to nearby schools.

Just be sure to let your professors know ahead of time, and be prepared to make up work/ do HW on planes if you apply while in school. If you can, make sure you have a relatively light load, as you might have to miss upwards of a couple of weeks.

Finally, don't be afraid of letting schools know you will be in the "area", especially if the school is far away. The staff knows it's costly and many times will try to accommodate you (but don't count on it.).

Thank you to all who replied, my question has been answered, now I must save my money and tweak my list a little.

They're usually held in your dreams on the beaches of Capistrano where the margaritas and caipirinhas flow freely, and beautiful, bountiful breasts float around you. No women, though. Interviews were kind of weird, TBH.

not serious. posts above are total cash money for real info. terms and conditions may apply.