Where are my ECs lacking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alt91119

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is going to be slightly below average when it comes time for applying. As such, I am trying to make for it with stellar ECs. Where am I lacking? What is listed below is where I will be immediately before beginning my gap year. (I have 3 semesters left and am then taking a gap year).

Research: 7 semesters and 3 summers in the same lab (>1000 hrs). Poster presentation at a national conference.

Clinical Volunteering: 6 semesters and 2 summers at the same hospital (300 hrs). 100% patient contact.

Nonclinical volunteering: 1 wk/summer (3 summers) at a camp for children with a specific medical problem.

Shadowing: 100 hrs between 4 specialties (equally split between rural and urban)

Leadership: TA for biology 1 (2 semesters). Philanthropy chair of medical fraternity.

Awards: Fellowship awarded to implement a teaching project in Biology 1 (essentially change the way the class is taught in a small way).

I realize I have most of the major areas covered, but again, my GPA won't be pretty and I'd like to shoot for midtiers if possible. What new activities should I begin to strengthen weak points? As a reminder, I have 3 semesters left, so enough time to still begin something significant.

Members don't see this ad.

do something you love that you can show. I.e. if you like music, go do some music related community service stuff.

Same as what the commenter above said. Hobbies. Doesn't have to be extensive. Not sure how much time you have, but it's probably the only area you're lacking in.

Members don't see this ad :)
do something you love that you can show. I.e. if you like music, go do some music related community service stuff.
My major is Japanese. There's a group nearby that does Japanese taiko drumming. While there's certainly other things I'd also like to do, would this be a good option?

My major is Japanese. There's a group nearby that does Japanese taiko drumming. While there's certainly other things I'd also like to do, would this be a good option?

If it's something you want to do, definitely! :)

Do whatever makes you happy that you can genuinely speak passionately about in interviews. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would say you could pick up another community service project that is more frequent than once a summer, and that you do over a long period of time. Also, the hobby thing is a good idea. By the way, have you ever had a job that you'd list on your apps?

My GPA is going to be slightly below average when it comes time for applying. As such, I am trying to make for it with stellar ECs. Where am I lacking? What is listed below is where I will be immediately before beginning my gap year. (I have 3 semesters left and am then taking a gap year).

Research: 7 semesters and 3 summers in the same lab (>1000 hrs). Poster presentation at a national conference.

Clinical Volunteering: 6 semesters and 2 summers at the same hospital (300 hrs). 100% patient contact.

Nonclinical volunteering: 1 wk/summer (3 summers) at a camp for children with a specific medical problem.

Shadowing: 100 hrs between 4 specialties (equally split between rural and urban)

Leadership: TA for biology 1 (2 semesters). Philanthropy chair of medical fraternity.

Awards: Fellowship awarded to implement a teaching project in Biology 1 (essentially change the way the class is taught in a small way).

I realize I have most of the major areas covered, but again, my GPA won't be pretty and I'd like to shoot for midtiers if possible. What new activities should I begin to strengthen weak points? As a reminder, I have 3 semesters left, so enough time to still begin something significant.
That's some solid box-checking! I agree with the others, do something that you'll enjoy that you will be able to speak passionately about to round out your application. The Japanese drumming group would be great (if you'd enjoy it, of course) because it's always good to demonstrate outside of school that you're passionate about your major, and it doesn't look like you've done anything related to being a Japanese major yet outside of school. Everything else looks great, though.

How's your MCAT score or studying coming along

u got more than enough...

use ur time to study and ACE the mcat. it will help you beat the autoscreening, when they combine your gpa and mcat.
after that, you'll have the chance to impress them with your awesome EC list.

EC's won't mask your stats, as much as we would all like them to (except for those of us with awesome stats). Do better next semester and take an appropriate amount of time to do well on the monsterCAT

If anything work on non-clinical volunteering.