Where are my future UCLA classmates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, everyone,
Just got the fall health fair schedule. It is a really neat thing and great opportunity to get a feel about ucla. You will be signing up patients, giving out toothbrushes and stuff, and have the chance to teach oral hygiene instruction. All these skills will help you later on in the clinic. And of cos, you get tons of chances to chat with our 2nd year students who could tell you that life will be tough, but it is managable.

Thanks to nick and his big sib. We are going to have a huge health fair (expected 3K kids showing up!) this saturday from 10-3pm. If anyone would like to get involved, please contact me through email: [email protected] or pm. Please read the attachment. Hope to see you there.

Also, here are the september health fair from the UCLA Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry. If you are interested in the following dates, please contact me or Sujain and we will send u to get you setup. (basically we just need a head count.)

Fall Quarter 2004

September 11, 2004
Lennox Health Fair - SSC
Buford Elementary School
4919 W. 109th Ave.
Lennox, CA 90304
8:30 to 3:30

September 18, 2004
Power of God Church
18825 Saticoy St.
Reseda, CA 91335
10 AM to 3 PM

September 25, 2004
Medical Mission Adventures/City Teens
David Gonzalez Park
10943 Herrick
Pacoima 91331
Time TBA

October 2, 2004
Nara Bank Health Fair
TBA

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• back to school flyerfinal1.doc
    74.9 KB · Views: 132
Hey, Sujian:

When did you get your white coat rsvp in the mail? I only got a letter saying don't be late on sep. 20th. umh....
Don't be scared. you are not the only one. I started to feel scared ever since I got accepted. I am sure that we will be fine.

Wow, eric, 3k kids?

Going to see you guys very soon, I can't wait! take care for now :love:

damn, gina!

Eric and Nick, that's so cool. Thanx for sharing all that info... hahah, Nick, you've got an awesome big sib. you're so lucky! i've got a really cool one, too...
i must say i'm getting just a lil tired of repeatedly explaining to 2nd years why i'm at a health fair and not at the beach, though. i'm like, duh! :rolleyes: i've got enuf of a tan. :laugh: i'm DEF not ready to study like hell, but i like everything else about being a dental student just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
rcmonkeypie said:
Hey, Sujian:

When did you get your white coat rsvp in the mail? I only got a letter saying don't be late on sep. 20th. umh....
Don't be scared. you are not the only one. I started to feel scared ever since I got accepted. I am sure that we will be fine.

Wow, eric, 3k kids?

Going to see you guys very soon, I can't wait! take care for now :love:

Hi Rita!

the RSVP note was actually addressed to my parents... it asks for the names of those coming, as well as a head count. i got it the same day as the don't be late letter. thanx for the words of comfort. i think i'm just scared b/c i haven't studied for a class since Jan 2003. afraid i've forgotten how to use this brain of mine... :p

Hi, guys,
Name is Alina. I have been reading your thread for a while, wow, you are so much ahead of the game....scary! :) Welcome another one of your future classmates at UCLA for the next 4 years. I can't even tell you how scared I am (maybe more so than excited about my acceptance). I would love to join you all in one of your nearest future get2gethers eventhough not too much time is left before school, isn't it? Oh, well...

By the way, did anyone get their financial aid notification yet? ;)

Hey everyone!! First off, CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU because I am a student at UCLA, and believe me...I know how hard it is to get into UCLA Dental School. I am currently applying and was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your stats and other information (extracirricular, volunteer, research, work experience) when you applied. UCLA Dental School is one of my top choices and I'd love to hear any advice from you guys, and get an idea of the stats from accepted students for this year. Thanks so much!

;)

Hi there, Alina!

nice to know ya. :D Welcome to the gang! hopefully there will be time for all of us to meet up before orientation... i think that would be real nice, but i just don't know who else is available-- a few of us have suggested a get-together, but everyone seems so darned busy. if it doesn't work out, though, i'll keep a lookout for u during orientation. ;)

LSN, you'll notice that my classmates did far better than me (especially on the PAT) which is why i thank my lucky stars the adcom decided to give me a go...

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.4
PAT: 17 (UCLA says they look for ~20)
AA: 22
1000+ hrs. volunteering as a dental assistant
UCLA dental clinic volunteer
director of Project READ on my campus
2 yrs. undergrad research

i hope that helps, and best wishes :luck:

Sincerely, Sujain

Hi, alina:

Welcome!!! Yeah, I got the finacial aid notification in the mail two days ago. you can also log on to ursa.ucla.edu to check your status. I actually found out mine on line first. It is already updated. see you soon.

wow, sujian, you have really good status. You definitly derseve to go to UCLA. My undergrad was spending on working and "Zzzz" in the classes :laugh:

Hey Sujain--
Thanks for that info. I really appreciate it. It gives me some hope because I have pretty much the same stats as you. Thanks! Good luck at UCLA

hi everyone! hope you guys are enjoying the last month of summer. welcome to the group alina!
ok, so i spoke with kim (bbpower) the other day and we were both wondering if you'd all wanna meet up for some dinner the night before orientation, sunday sept. 19th. we figure that'd be a convenient date since everyone will prob be in or around westwood by then. if not dinner then we can go grab some diddy reese cookies or boba in the village. would do you guys think?

I'm down for Sept 19th, and I look forward to meeting you's guys soon! :D

mmmm..... diddy reese's.... drool!!!!

i am SO there! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I am in for sept 19th!!!
This is a great idea, since all of us will be around already at that time. Sounds like fun, so I am there?

Where do you think would be a good place to meet? Ideas?

glad u guys can make it! how about meeting up in front of the starbucks/fox theatre (on the corner of broxton and weyburn) and then we can go from there? or it might be easier to meet up at the boba-loca or lollicup across the street? What time do you guys wanna meet up? i don't have any other plans that night so i'll go with whatever's more convenient for everyone else.

Yay hooray!! I'll be there, if I don't get lost! :laugh: :laugh: I can't wait to meet everyone. Should we carry name tags??!! J/K! It'll def be a lot of fun.
Until then, take care.

Hi, everyone:

I found out through eric that the health fair for tomorrow has moved. The new address is 711 W. Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90044. It is between s. vermont Ave and S. Figueroa st. I hope that I can wrap up my moving soon enough so that I can join you guys there. =)

Great idea, amy. count me in.

i'm up for it. :). See you guys there!

Tina

aw man. just found out i will only be available on the 19th during the day till about 3 pm. :rolleyes: hopefully i'll still be able to meet some of you guys...if not, orientation it is. i'll be getting my keys on the 13th and moving in on the 15th. Looking forward to meeting you guys! :p

Hi, everybody,
here is the health fair update.

WHAT: Lennox Health Fair
WHEN: Saturday, September 11, 2004
SHIFTS: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM or 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Breakfast and/or lunch will be provided!!!
WHERE: Buford Elementary School
4919 W. 109th Street
Lennox, CA 90304

And for the 19th, I will also be there if i can find that place.
Going off to Vegas soon
EC out

hey guys. isn't it shocking that there's so little time left? well, i was wondering what time you guys wanted to meet up on the 19th..would it be more convenient to have it earlier in the day (as it would be for Sujain)...so that we could grab some lunch or something? holla back~

What up peeps, I am SUCH a dork, disregard my last post I wasn't sure how to post a message since I haven't kept in touch for a while. Just caught up in the whirlwind of relaxation that is about to be over soooooo soon!

Is it bad that I felt so relieved that some of you guys are starting to get a little scared too, because I have been starting to get soooo anxious/nervous recently, and its nice to know I am not alone.

I am definitely down for meeting up before orientation esp. since I haven't met any of you yet.

And what's up with the sky high cost of these lap tops??!? I thought it was going to be part of the 15K dental supplies stuff?? Oh well, were already being juiced mucho dinero, why not mucho dinero + $1,800??? :laugh:

i also thought the laptop was part of the "dental package"... i was hoping financial aid would have kicked in by the time i'd have to buy this puppy. Very sudden, huh? I hope everyone gets their e-mail in time.

sigh.... :(

I thought that the laptop was included in the package too. I was hoping just like sujian that the fiancial aid will cover that part of the cost. oh, well, what's another 2k on top of 20k already, hee hee.

Have all of you find places to stay yet? see u guys soon.
btw, I am up for meeting up early and grabing lunch? Amy, why don't you pick a place?

...So have you guys bought it yet????

I was thinking about where to eat on Sunday....and I thought I might suggest a place called Damon & Pythias--it is super yummy!!!! Gourmet sandwiches and salads. But it's only a lunch spot, I am not sure if you guys want to go somewhere that offers alcoholic beverages too. Chili's is a good spot too!

Let me know what you guys think! :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

dentique said:
Is it bad that I felt so relieved that some of you guys are starting to get a little scared too, because I have been starting to get soooo anxious/nervous recently, and its nice to know I am not alone.

me too, dentique :) i've even been having weird dreams lately!

hi, Rita! i just moved in some of my stuff yesterday. I'll be totally moved in by tomorrow. i'll be living on Hilgard, close to Manning-- is that close at all to you? Anyone else moved in?

:D i feel like a jumping bean.

dentique said:
...So have you guys bought it yet????

I was thinking about where to eat on Sunday....and I thought I might suggest a place called Damon & Pythias--it is super yummy!!!! Gourmet sandwiches and salads. But it's only a lunch spot, I am not sure if you guys want to go somewhere that offers alcoholic beverages too. Chili's is a good spot too!

Let me know what you guys think! :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

it all sounds great to me! where is this Damon & Pythias located?

oh yeah, i haven't bought it yet... do we HAVE to get it from this place? what about those who already have this exact same laptop already-- it's not like they're gonna have to buy another one are they? my brother says there are ways to get it cheaper than this...

Damon & Pythias is on Broxton between Kinross and Weyburn in Westwood Village.

dentique said:
Damon & Pythias is on Broxton between Kinross and Weyburn in Westwood Village.
Thanks! sounds real yummy! :D

toothpixie said:
oh yeah, i haven't bought it yet... do we HAVE to get it from this place? what about those who already have this exact same laptop already-- it's not like they're gonna have to buy another one are they? my brother says there are ways to get it cheaper than this...

From what I've heard and have been told, we MUST buy the laptop that they offer us, even if you have one, just bought one, or even if you could find it cheaper elsewhere. It was explained like this awhile back, "The computer company produces a certain amount of laptops to fulfill the entering class's needs. Therefore, you must buy one since one is being specially made for you, and if you don't buy it, then it'll just sit there, so we're gonna make you buy it. On top of that, we're gonna charge you for loaning dental supplies, hmm..somewhere around $15,000 dollars sounds right! Will you be paying by sweat or tears? Fine then, in God we trust, all others pay cash!" It really wasn't stated as eloquently as I put it, but you get the jist of the message. They did state that the computer should be included in the dental kit, so I'm hoping they're gonna dock off 2g's from the cost of the dental kit? They made each of us sign a paper that we agree to buy it, but if I remember correctly, that paper also stated the cost of the laptop would be included in the dental kit. hmm...sounds like there might be a loop to get out of this one...If anyone can get this to happen (have the cost of the laptop deducted from our dental kit costs), I'll put in a vote for them for president (*ahem, eric...cough, cough) btw, lunch sounds good, i'll try to be there :thumbup:

k...i dug through my mountain of paperwork and found this copy of one letter from Ann Beech that i had signed. it was in the big packet we received back in April. it says,

"The SOD has assembled a list of equipment and supplies that is requisite for your first year of d-school. UCLA Dental School policy states that each student must possess a new and complete selection of the items on this list prior to the first class meeting. The purchase of a used or partial kit is not an acceptable option..."

at the bottom we had to sign under the statement, "I contract to purchase the First Year Dental Kit from the ASUCLA Health Sciences Store. Please reserve a kit for me."

nowhere do i see any mention of the laptop...but then again, i don't ever remember seeing such list. funny cuz i thought i had seen it somewhere...! Maybe it was in the paperwork we had to sign when we went to our interviews? i vaguely remember signing an agreement that i would buy my loupes thru UCLA... man. that day i was totally panic-stricken. i would have happily signed my life away without even knowing it... hahah..
aw, $#@% !!!! :eek:

Hi Guys,

LET ME CLEAR THINGS UP!!!

I just spoke with Sarah and the final word is that, yes, we must purchase it and therefore, our $15,000 hoopla boopla won't cost as much, basically it will be about 2 g's less (the cost of our lap tops). It just occured this way that we purchase it because we actually have a choice in the two lap tops, I personally prefer the lighter one :D

Wow, so much action going on when I took vacation. Thanks for everyone's input and advice. I hope we all have the chance to order the laptop and find a credit card somewhere to pay for it. We did a great job to buy it in such short notice. They really did a good job getting the news to us(through emails and letters). Plus, it is nice that we getta make our decision as to which laptop to choose. (vs. in the past, going a rock with Gateway with a PIII) I only wish we could have more time to make that decision.

I also picked the smaller silver one cos it is just easier to carry around, especially I will be taking the bus. And they get an IEEE port vs a parallel port and 1 extra USB port. The D600 gets a better sound and video card though. Good for games, but not that useful for our lecture and clinics. Does anyone know any good deal on LCD monitors? I am trying to find a bigger display at home.

Now we purchased our laptop, how about some food?
Hi, Dentique, where is Damon & Pythias at? Let's get a headcount. How many people could come during afternoon and night?

Afternoon
Night
Doesnt matter

Btw, got the confirmation email from Dell that they are shipping our laptops on the 23rd if not earlier. If we are lucky, we will be able to use it the first day of class =)

you guys, it looks like i'm only available on the 19th from morning to about 3pm. if you don't mind meeting up earlier in the day, then i can make it :) no pressure, though!

... Dentique posted the location of Damon & Pythias being on Broxton between Kinross and Weyburn in Westwood Village.
Looks like my procrastinating days aren't behind me as i had hoped. i was sposed to move in today, but flaked on myself. okay... bright & early tomorrow then... ;) i'm in big trouble if i keep slacking off like this!

Hi Everyone,
Wow, back from my mini-vacation and I have so much catching up to do. I too ordered the smaller laptop. My plan is to drive down on Sunday so hopefully I will make it in time for when everyone meets up. If not, then it'll be rise n shine Monday morning at orientation. My how time flies, only a few more days of freedom, enjoy it. :)

hey, everyone:

Put me down for afternoon-lunch. I ordered the dell but going for the bigger D600. I don't like such some display. killing my eyes=( may be the trick is to put all my books and laptop in a cart and lug it around.

I am crashing with my friend for a while until the dorm is ready, please, please let the dorm be ready=).

Did anyone get the news that finacial aid will be disbursed this friday? I am a little worried becuase the due day for all the fees is on Sep. 20th. Do anyone know anything about it?

Thanks,

rc,
I asked Frank about the due date, and he said not to worry about it. They won't be charging us a late fee b/c some of us are still getting our paper work together. So I'm not gonna worry about it so much. Just hope, however, that we get our money early so we can settle in.
Take care.

hey everyone. both sarah and frank said that we'll be taking care of the dental kit financing stuff on tuesday. we'll be asked to put down the deposit by check or credit card so bring the bling folks! just wanted to give u guys a heads up. ;)

Okay guys, tomorrow we are all havin lunch hopefully. Let's make sure of the when, where, who details.......

When: 12:00-3:00????

Where: Damon & Pythias???

Who: Me

Who else?

dentique said:
Okay guys, tomorrow we are all havin lunch hopefully. Let's make sure of the when, where, who details.......

When: 12:00-3:00????

Where: Damon & Pythias???

Who: Me

Who else?

orientation blows. =)

toothpixie said:
UHoh..... it's baaaaaaaaack!!! :D

Is it a coincidence that this year's thread is titled almost identically to 2008?

DOH!!!

i guess this thread is no longer considered predental, huh?
didn't think about that... :laugh: ahhahahah. *sigh...*

*Bump*

hey, you guys!!!! let's stop bothering those poor 2009ers with our midterm venting! They shouldn't have to worry about school till September. Let's give them some space, and use our own good old thread instead-- i know it should no longer be considered "predental", but maybe it would be helpful to any predents who have questions about UCLA... :idea: ...not bad, huh?

:p Sujain

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr crown preps! heh.