Where are my UCLA classmates (Class of 2009)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a bit early, but I thought it would be interesting to see who else will be attending UCLA next fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending next fall too, assuming they dont kick me out.
Congrad, u have just made a very important decision.

Update on those interesting in UCLA graduate student housing (especially Weyburn).

So I called the UCLA grad housing office and asked when we could apply for housing. Technically, we can apply in a few months. But if you were/are a UCLA undergrad with a functioning SID (mine still works and I graduated last year), you can apply for housing now. But if you decide to turn in your application pre-maturely, you should call grad housing in a few months to make sure you're in their system for Fall 2005.

And the bummer--students are selected via lottery (not first come/apply, first serve). So applying now does not increase your chances of getting grad housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Literati81 said:
Update on those interesting in UCLA graduate student housing (especially Weyburn).

So I called the UCLA grad housing office and asked when we could apply for housing. Technically, we can apply in a few months. But if you were/are a UCLA undergrad with a functioning SID (mine still works and I graduated last year), you can apply for housing now. But if you decide to turn in your application pre-maturely, you should call grad housing in a few months to make sure you're in their system for Fall 2005.

And the bummer--students are selected via lottery (not first come/apply, first serve). So applying now does not increase your chances of getting grad housing.

Thanks for the info/update Literati81...what do you know about the financial aid stuff? I asked Sarah and she said the office is supposed to send out info sometime in Feb?

Red823 said:
Thanks for the info/update Literati81...what do you know about the financial aid stuff? I asked Sarah and she said the office is supposed to send out info sometime in Feb?

That's correct. The financial aid committee will meet in early February to discuss additional merit scholarships. Non-merit scholarships depend on how quickly you turn in your FAFSA.

Literati81 said:
That's correct. The financial aid committee will meet in early February to discuss additional merit scholarships. Non-merit scholarships depend on how quickly you turn in your FAFSA.

additionaly merit scholarships? is that when they do the Regents one? And what if your FAFSA is dependent on when you get the W-2 forms to actually file taxes....ahh pain ! Did i mention i hate paperwork?

Red823 said:
additionaly merit scholarships? is that when they do the Regents one? And what if your FAFSA is dependent on when you get the W-2 forms to actually file taxes....ahh pain ! Did i mention i hate paperwork?

Regents, Deans, etc. They told me they will assign declined scholarships to whoever is "next in line."

Yes, the FAFSA is dependent on the W-2. But I heard somewhere that it is still okay to estimate as long as you correct your changes later.

Paperwork sucks. It's a sad part of life. Then again, it makes a nice fire.

Um, nevermind on the housing application thing. UCLA Housing finally responded to my e-mail.
Thanks for your message. We will have an updated application available in
late winter quarter, so we recommend you wait to apply. Please keep in mind
that assignments ar Weyburn Terrace are completed differently from those
done elsewhere. Weyburn is reserved almost exclusively for students granted
housing guarantees by their schools. It is possible that the School of
Dentistry may grant you a guarantee for next. Note that schools do not
notify housing of the guaranteed students until May. Housing is offered to
those who are not guaranteed on a space-available basis.

Sincerely,

UCLA Housing Assignment Office

Hi There!

I will be attending UCLA this coming fall! I can't wait to meet everyone!

Literati81 said:
Um, nevermind on the housing application thing. UCLA Housing finally responded to my e-mail.
Thanks for your message. We will have an updated application available in
late winter quarter, so we recommend you wait to apply. Please keep in mind
that assignments ar Weyburn Terrace are completed differently from those
done elsewhere. Weyburn is reserved almost exclusively for students granted
housing guarantees by their schools. It is possible that the School of
Dentistry may grant you a guarantee for next. Note that schools do not
notify housing of the guaranteed students until May. Housing is offered to
those who are not guaranteed on a space-available basis.

Sincerely,

UCLA Housing Assignment Office

In other words we can only sit and twiddle our thumbs... sigh :cool:

You can enjoy doing that till school starts =)
Once it starts, dont expect to stop.

Just took the anatomy quiz today. Thru hardship and life-threatening comments, I managed to get a perfect score =) kidding about the comments. So it is a good day for me. Life sucks, but it is fair. You get the result from what you put into it. Go to any dental school and work hard and you will be a good dentist.

Then in the afternoon, we have a PBL session. If you have been to USC interview, it is somewhat like that, except the facilitator knows what he is doing and the students suppose to know what we are doing too. We are basically practicing how to ask patients medical history questions. Way too much fun. We have a good time. So, definitely come here. It is like USC. Except while they are at home "studying," we continue to have lecture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard stories like that too.
My friend's apartment kinda clotted.
And some dripping in the garage.
But it aint as bad as it looks.
That's still a good option if you want to live alone.

If you want to share an apartment, then you may want to look on Tiverton or Hilgard

Literati81 said:

Until I hear from one other school..UCLA is where Im heading! Yay!!! Can't wait to meet my future classmates.

ecdoesit said:
I heard stories like that too.
My friend's apartment kinda clotted.
And some dripping in the garage.
But it aint as bad as it looks.
That's still a good option if you want to live alone.

If you want to share an apartment, then you may want to look on Tiverton or Hilgard

BUBBLICIOUS said:
Until I hear from one other school..UCLA is where Im heading! Yay!!! Can't wait to meet my future classmates.

Yay! We got another BS Anthro grad (noticed from a previous post)!

that's right literati81! Anthro Rules! have you graduated yet? this is my last quarter and Im so burnt out. Can't wait to meet our classmates.

Literati81 said:
Yay! We got another BS Anthro grad (noticed from a previous post)!

Hey guys,
I'm sorry to be intruding on this thread as I'm not attending UCLA dental school this coming year. However, I am currently a third year UCLA undergraduate student who will be graduating in Fall 2005 and am strongly considering applying to UCLA dental school. I had a question, either for Literati81 or anyone else who knows, about my chances for getting a merit based scholarship from UCLA. I currently have a 3.99 overall GPA, received a 22/22/19 (not so hot) on my DAT, have been involved in research during all three years (including a research trip to Tahiti culminating in an abstract), have worked as a tutor for an organization known as AAP (former UCLA students should know about this) amongst other extracurriculars. I received the Regents Scholarship as an undergraduate and would very much like to receive it for dental school as well (I was also interested in the amount given for various UCLA merit scholarships)! I would appreciate any posts/PMs from anyone who could provide me with more information and help. Thank you again!

Hey piccolo2385,
I received the Regent's Scholarship @ UCLA. You can see my stats below. I was told by the financial aid office that they give out 6 Regents per class, for a total of 24 for the entire school. The amount of the scholarship depends on your financial need, but the highest award is about 4-6K per year. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hey calbear82,
Thank you very much for that informative reply! I now have a clearer picture of what to expect when I apply next year. Also, congratulations to you calbear82 on getting the Regents Scholarship and on that AWESOME DAT score! Will you be attending UCLA, by the way? I would also appreciate any more feedback from anybody else willing to help me out!

Hey piccolo2385,
I'm having the toughest time deciding b/w UCLA and UCSF. Both are really great schools. I'm really tempted by the scholarship @ UCLA but I love SF. I would say right now it's 50/50. So confused. :confused:

Congradulation to ur scholarship.
I agree that both UC are excellent school.
I had a tough time choosing last year.
Last nite, I talked with my friend at SF.
We came up with this conclusion. At LA, we learn every little tiny bit of science. At SF, they spare more time to do pre-clinical work. At least this is what first year is like.

By talking with an anatomy professor who has talked with graduates, they told him that their skill is comparable with other graduates from other dental schools. so the bottomline is where do you want to be in ur next 4 yrs.

calbear82 said:
Hey piccolo2385,
I'm having the toughest time deciding b/w UCLA and UCSF. Both are really great schools. I'm really tempted by the scholarship @ UCLA but I love SF. I would say right now it's 50/50. So confused. :confused:

I totally feel your pain. Everytime I go to SF, I pass by UCSF and wonder if I made the right choice. It's like those old-school "Make Your Own Adventure" books...except you can't cheat and read ahead.

Literati81 said:
I totally feel your pain. Everytime I go to SF, I pass by UCSF and wonder if I made the right choice. It's like those old-school "Make Your Own Adventure" books...except you can't cheat and read ahead.

I'm also one of those "unfortunate" souls trying to decide between UCLA and UCSF. What made you ultimately choose UCLA?? Was it solely based on the scholarship or something else?

sniffles04 said:
I'm also one of those "unfortunate" souls trying to decide between UCLA and UCSF. What made you ultimately choose UCLA?? Was it solely based on the scholarship or something else?

Ultimately, it was personal reasons. The scholarship was a perk, but not too significant (I'm guaranteed at least 1,000/yr).

I tried weighing the academic and clinical sides of UCSF and UCLA. In the end, it was a tie. So it really boils down to personal preference. Don't get me wrong, this was not an easy decision. UCSF had been my "dream school" for the past 2 years; I definitely shocked a few people by choosing UCLA (and I'm still coming to terms with it).

Good luck with everything. Don't let anyone rush you. Take your time...you deserve it. :thumbup:

Thank you Literati81 and everyone else for all your helpful comments! As I've said, although I am strongly leaning towards UCLA, I am still heavily considering UCSF. As a previous Norcal resident (I now live in Orange County, yes, the OC), I was and am still in love with San Francisco (especially compared to LA). I still need to visit UCSF's facilities as I am already very familiar with UCLA's (I've been volunteering there for two years now and know several professors). I will probably need to consider the environment there and also see if they have merit based scholarships similar to UCLA's. Because there are so many great posters on this site that are attending UCLA (e.g. ecdoesit and others on this thread), I'm glad that I'll have some good insight into its dental school. Thanks again to all!

First of all, welcome all who got accepted to UCLA. You earned it. I am sure with our stats, a lot of schools want us to come. It is not unusual to have this headache. I have tried to list and talked with some of you about your choices. Bottomline, at UCLA, they teach us every single little thing. Sometimes we wonder why on earth we have to know these materials, but we learn it for the test anyway. Some of us may wonder if we have made the right choice. Especially hard when we get USC people's having such a good life as dental students. UCLA's curriculum is really tough, but you have what it takes to get through. Once we get the DDS or DMD, that's all we care about. Hopefully, someday, we have a patient coming to us with a problem with the inguinal ligament and we can remember something or someway to deal with that. Does it worth our blood and tear? I heard 3rd years said it does worth every effort. Hey, at the end, we need to know our stuff to perform the best procedure on patients, right?

I m going to upset a lot of people after this paragraph. This is how we(most 1st yr) feel about these scholarship. Besides scholarship, we get grants. So, if u choose scholarship, the grant is less. Unless, your parents make significant amount of money, you are kinda at the same level of "free money". Obviously, the name is very cool to get a scholarship at ucla. I want to get one too, but I dont have the merit =( jk

Another factor that i could think of is that there are more graduates from UCLA in SoCal than UCSF's grad. So, if you plan to stay in SoCal afterward, you should come to UCLA.

the last resort is porbably coin flipping =)

Interesting, so even if you don't get a scholarship from UCLA you can get a grant? Do amounts vary based on need and what percentage (approximately) of students get them? Also, this is kind of a random question, but I heard UCLA requires its dental students to purchase a certain Dell laptop during their first year. Is this true? And if so, which model do they specify and is there any way to get around this?

if u fill out all the paperwork, eventually, you will get ur fin aid.
it is quite a hassle cos u have to deal with sch's accounting and the ucla's accounting
but it is one time that u can walk around campus. o ya, our campus is one huge place, unlike sf with two separate campus.

o ya, for the laptop, u r so lucky that they do without gateway and dells. i m 90% sure that as long as u get a laptop that meets requirement is sufficient. let us(1st yr) knows if u dont want to get a laptop yet, we can probably find u a spare one somehow. cos the first year, it is helpful, but not necessary to get a laptop. (the library is cool that they let u check out dell latitude D800 with 17 wide screen laptop for 4 hrs for free each time) so i usually dont even bring my laptop to sch. those are so awesome.

ecdoesit said:
the last resort is porbably coin flipping =)

:D Tried that and still undecided! hehe what then?

I hope to be in the same shoes as you a year from now Red823! I'll be very interested to find out which dental school you choose to attend when you do make up your mind! I've been paying close attention to the thread you started regarding the merits of UCLA vs. UCSF as many of the factors you brought up are those I am considering as well. When you do decide, I would greatly appreciate a little rundown of the factors that eventually pushed you one way or the other. Good luck deciding!

Does anyone know the difference between the Regent's and Dean's Scholarship?

The amount is different. I have no idea how much each pays. Frequently(like once a month), there is application for additional scholarships. I dont even border with those cos i know my classmates are way beyond me.

the most immediate threat is not how much scholarship u get, but to put a cap on student fee hike(yes, we dont have tuition!) this is ridiculous to raise tuition 40, 30% every year. with our state deficit, our governor didnt tax more on people that has money, but make us suffer? i believe UC is fighting hard, but we should give our support as well. I know ASDA(american student dental association) is trying to do somehting about this. In April, we have lobby day when we sent student representatives to talk with different senators and politicians to let them know various dental issues and convince them to support us. dont worry, we will "brainwash" you guys when the time comes. as u know, time is limited in dental sch. i wont waste time on things that doesnt work. SDN is cool and ASDA is awesome. You have getta check it out.

Another push to unite our predent with dent. Next week, we are going to share our drills with predents. This is going to be fun to teach them how to use hi speed and low speed to do prep. as far as i know, this is never been done before(except that denture course by Mr Hunt). This course is taught by 3rd year and assisted by 1st yr. I signed up as one of the volunteers. Hope some of u get a chance to go.

hey, red, u never told me u get head or tail.
since the bruins have a head and a tail, doesnt that mean u should go to ucla?
what's ucsf's masscot? o yes, we have a football, basketball team and a bunch of other things.

Do you use aim?
I remember last year, we started a list of aim. It was like msg windows everywhere. quite fun.
It is a fun way to getta know ur classmates for those of us who cant see enough of them for the 4 yrs ahead...
just a suggestion

piccolo2385 said:
I hope to be in the same shoes as you a year from now Red823! I'll be very interested to find out which dental school you choose to attend when you do make up your mind! I've been paying close attention to the thread you started regarding the merits of UCLA vs. UCSF as many of the factors you brought up are those I am considering as well. When you do decide, I would greatly appreciate a little rundown of the factors that eventually pushed you one way or the other. Good luck deciding!

Hi piccolo2385

Sure thing...i'll definitely let ya know once I've decided and the factors behind my decision (whenever that is :D ). I do hope you the best of luck (looking at your stats, doesn't seem like you need it) to get in this predicament of choosing between SF or LA.

ecdoesit said:
Do you use aim?
I remember last year, we started a list of aim. It was like msg windows everywhere. quite fun.
It is a fun way to getta know ur classmates for those of us who cant see enough of them for the 4 yrs ahead...
just a suggestion

yup i do have aim...can i get yours to bother you with more questions?? :laugh:

You could always find mine on my profile.
Not like you are the first one adding me.

A lot of people who don't get the Regent's Scholarship do get supplemental funds in the form of "Dentistry Grant", "Dean's Grant", and so on so forth. I didn't get a Regen't Scholarship, but my grant/scholarship aid is far higher than most of those who got a Regent's Scholarship in my class.

Sure, it's great for them to say they're Regent's Scholars, but I'm forking out less $ than them. =P So don't worry about not getting a Regent's Scholarship, call up the School of Dentistry Financial Aid Office and talk to them. They're great people.

I've been waaaaay to slow in filling out my FAFSA. Is it to late for me to receive a Regent's Scholarship? My family is pretty poor if that matters.

ziptree said:
A lot of people who don't get the Regent's Scholarship do get supplemental funds in the form of "Dentistry Grant", "Dean's Grant", and so on so forth. I didn't get a Regen't Scholarship, but my grant/scholarship aid is far higher than most of those who got a Regent's Scholarship in my class.

Sure, it's great for them to say they're Regent's Scholars, but I'm forking out less $ than them. =P So don't worry about not getting a Regent's Scholarship, call up the School of Dentistry Financial Aid Office and talk to them. They're great people.

I'm hoping this is because those who received the Regent's Scholarship were better off financially. But if you're right...arg. I've been duped again! Yeesh. :thumbdown:

umc27 said:
I've been waaaaay to slow in filling out my FAFSA. Is it to late for me to receive a Regent's Scholarship? My family is pretty poor if that matters..

I believe the Regent's Scholarship is based on merit. The actual amount of the scholarship, however, does take your financial need into account. But, if the previous posters are correct (with Regent's Scholars getting less grants, etc.), I would expect you to get more aid than, say, me.

So, if they were going to give me the Regent's scholarship, they probably would have told me already already? (I'm from another state... I don't know how that factors into the equation.)

umc27 said:
So, if they were going to give me the Regent's scholarship, they probably would have told me already already? (I'm from another state... I don't know how that factors into the equation.)

I wish I could give you a more substantial answer. Unfortunately, it would be a shot in the dark. You're better off contacting Sarah on this one. :luck:

Just remember to turn in your FAFSA ASAP. :)

Mark this date:
may 13-15 it is our bi-annual CDA conference at anaheim.
you may want to email Sarah to ask if you could attend.
last year, me and another friend from my class went.
it is something like our acceptance letter with 25 bucks.
well worthy cos i got a oral-b sonic complete toothbrush and went to various parties.

for those of you got accepted to ucsf, u will get an invitation as well.
it will definitely give u a better idea while u talk with various sch representatives.

if you are going, please visit the only pre-dental booth---UCSD Free Dental Clinics Project in the convention. anyway, more detail on this later.

o yes, another interesting site of interests
body world2.
http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/
very good start to start looking at our body.
how complex and fasicnating we are.

I highly recommend this to prepare for your future anatomy class.
cos next year, they may not be there any more.

ya i got into UCLA, but decided not to go there. I don't know why you all want to go there, everyone seemed unhappy and the school has has no money. what are you all thinking? :) hehe jk have fun

hi, juggamynugga,
good that you find ur dream school.
may we know where are you going?

i wont say everyone. i m pretty happy today. there are about 10 predent students coming to our lab and did class I and V prep. dude, predent doing what first year are doing. this is pretty awesome. and i just get pretty excited that i getta teach my student the stuff that i learn since the beginning of this quarter. tell me one sch that let u teach so soon =)

our state doesnt have money, so we get less funding. it is kinda good that our sch doesnt increase our tuition too much just to be rich. faculty are one of the most important asset at the school. i would say our clinical professors are really really awesome. some of them volunteer to teach. so it is all good. we appreciate them alot.

juggamynugga said:
ya i got into UCLA, but decided not to go there. I don't know why you all want to go there, everyone seemed unhappy and the school has has no money. what are you all thinking? :) hehe jk have fun

hey juggamynugga, i was just at ucla for my interview on monday and i don't see what you see. they were perhaps all stressed (NB I) but there's no reason to conclude that they're all unhappy. (i for one work better under stress so i like it )

btw, i just got my acceptance letter today and i'm so stoked... ucla is a great school! and it's even better when you take into consideration that their clinical professors are so passionate with what they do that they are willing to volunteer their time to teach! .. how awesome is that!!! :D

That's because we don't have patients to work on. Hah.

Am I unhappy here? No.
Do I believe I could've made a better decision (if it had not been for the high tuition at other schools)? Yes.
Do I believe I can ucceed while at this school and go on to specialize or do whatever I want to? Emphatic yes.

When i was at the interview i was told that UCLA had about 5 off-camous clinics where students can get their clinical experience and satisfy their requirements. For instance, there's a large clinic at Venice where students can help those who are NOT from Westwood. hahaha. UCLA is starting to realize that if the patients aren't coming in, we have to go out. Makes sense.

I do realize that UCLA has a patient pool problem, but the solutions are out there, just get off campus! HAHA.

ziptree said:
That's because we don't have patients to work on. Hah.

Am I unhappy here? No.
Do I believe I could've made a better decision (if it had not been for the high tuition at other schools)? Yes.
Do I believe I can ucceed while at this school and go on to specialize or do whatever I want to? Emphatic yes.

Hi everyone, I've just submitted my deposit earlier today and made a final decision to attend UCLA next year. I'm really excited and look forward to meeting all of you.

I have a quick question- have anyone found housing? I just started my search and realized I have a long way to go. Just thought I'd get some input if you don't mind. :D