where are my USUHS orders??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting seriously annoyed- I'm a former active duty Navy officer, now in the reserves and waiting around for my USUHS orders. I'm starting there this fall. I've been told by the manning office at USUHS that BUPERS had to process all of the people who needed to get to OIS first. Ok, fine. But now I'm less than two months out from my move and I can't set up my move or process out from my reserve unit without the orders. USUHS is making it sound like it's out of their hands and they blame BUPERS for the hold up. Anyone else having this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I go off to COT in about 3 weeks and don't have my orders. There're some serious problems with this process.

RunGuns said:
I go off to COT in about 3 weeks and don't have my orders. There're some serious problems with this process.

I'm not one to bash the system...unless it's absolutely necessary. The transition into USUHS gets really hung up, particularly if you interview/ are unconditionally accepted late in the game. We had the same issues last year, some ppl didn't get thier orders until the end of June. For the Army, I'm pretty sure the problem occurs because all of the orders are cut by one person, Louise Taylor at USAREC. I literally called her every day for a month trying to get orders in a timely fashion. In her defense, my case was peculiar, and she came through for me, but not for lack of my efforts.

As for the active duty officer to reserve officer transition. This process causes an exponentially higher amount of headache than should be necessary. The issues that arise with ETSing (which includes being kicked out of DFAS, removed from personnel rosters, etc.) only to be recommissioned in the reserves the following day (new ID cards, orders, oathes of office, transportation, etc.) seems completely ridiculous.
Someone should do a cost analysis on how much money it costs the gov't for this process.

We voiced our opinions about how ignorant the process is last year, and got exactly no where. The issue is this: The time at USUHS does not count toward active service until you retire, thus they have to stop the clock. They also have to demote prior officers, which there is no mechanism for at DFAS.

Common sense answer: Make a code that demotes/promotes USUHS matriculates to 2LT, and a similar code that stops TIS from accruing. This option was presented, and duely noted. Someday when I'm in charge.....

Good luck with the process. BTW, watch out for pay issues, particularly if you're prior commissioned. I'm not sure if there's a way to get around your pay getting turned inside out.

Fight the good fight!!!!