Where are the best cornea fellowship programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WiseGeye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im applying for a corneal fellowship and i was wondering if i can get some advice as to where one would go to get great surgical experience combined with a happy atmosphere.
People that have done or are doing a corneal fellowship please post here or PM me.
If youre unhappy where you are, that would be valuable to know as well.
Much love.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting my Cornea fellowship in 3 weeks.

In my opinion

UC Davis
Salt Lake City
Baylor
Bascom
UIC
Duke
Oklahoma
Minnesota
UCSF

I'm starting my Cornea fellowship in 3 weeks.

In my opinion

UC Davis
Salt Lake City
Baylor
Bascom
UIC
Duke
Oklahoma
Minnesota
UCSF
Agree with the list. In addition:

Dr Hamilton Atlanta
Dr Lindstrom Minneapolis

Both have high surgical volumes and good people. Don't be scared off by the private practice tag. Also Dr Holland-U Cincinnati is good too but I don't think the surgical numbers are as good. Also since Cionni left I don't know how that impacted the fellows cataract numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as programs to avoid. Please don't waste your time on Dr Price in Indianapolis. Yes he is a huge name and does all kinds of cuttting edge things but his fellows are miserable. In fact, when I interviewed there one of his fellows actually told us that he was miserable. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

For someone interested in refractive surgery (both laser and IOL) which cornea / refractive fellowships offer the best experience? (Assuming the fellow is primary surgeon and does the pre-op, post-op, counseling, etc.)

LASIK and PRK
1) <20 cases
2) 20-50 cases
3) >50 cases (average 1/wk)

Premium IOLs, including phakic, accommodating, multifocal
1) no experience
2) a few
3) good experience, maybe >10 cases

Cataract surgery
1) <40 cases
2) 40-100 cases
3) >100 cases (average 2/wk)

:luck:

I just completed my cornea fellowship with Dr. Price two months ago and had an amazing surgical experience. Primary cases included DSEK, PKP, K-Pro, DALK, IOL X, 23G PPV, DMAEK and DMEK, Ahmed valves, Trab. My refractive surgery volume is also probably one of the highest for fellowship porgrams. Dr. Price is always getting into the latest and greatest in cornea, and you get to be a part of it. I've enjoyed working with Dr. Price, learning from him, and had a great fellowship experience; I would do it again. If you would like more specifics on my surgical numbers, please contact Wendy at PVG [email protected] and she will give you my contact info.

For what it's worth I applied to

UCSF
MEEI
Bascom
Wilmer
Baylor
UTSW
Duke

I'm interested in academic cornea.

For what it's worth I applied to

UCSF
MEEI
Bascom
Wilmer
Baylor
UTSW
Duke

I'm interested in academic cornea.

You want to go back to Baltmore :eek:

Wilmer obviously is a good name, but Walter Stark has 6 fellows. Your cataract skills actually deteriorate during this fellowship.

Just curious- how is the reputation of the UCLA/Jules Stein cornea program?

You want to go back to Baltmore :eek:

Wilmer obviously is a good name, but Walter Stark has 6 fellows. Your cataract skills actually deteriorate during this fellowship.

They didn't even give me an interview....Divine intervention. :D

Hi I'm applying for Cornea right now. Any advice on best fellowships pls???

Any private/public message would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I am MS ophthlmologist from India. Can I join cornea fellowship in USA? What are my chances of selection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone guide me about SF match? How it works? Do programs ask for personal interview before selection?

SF match is simple. You submit the required materials to the SF Match, and the SF Match people distribute your materials to the programs that you selected (it costs money PER program, so the more you apply to the more it costs). Programs then get all the applications, and then decide who to interview. Programs then interview candidates. After interviews have concluded for all programs, applicants and programs submit a rank list, and then you match! Or don't match if you are unlucky. You should email SF Match or talk to somebody from India who has successfully matched here to see what would improve your chances.

For what it's worth, I put this in another thread but will add it here. My thoughts on top programs:

In no particular order

Michigan
Baylor
UC Davis
Mark Terry
Lindstrom
Utah
Colorado
Bascom
Duke
UIC
Hamilton (Atlanta)
Casey
San Diego
Vance Thompson
_______

Harvard, Hopkins, Wills, UCSF, UCLA are great for academics but surgical numbers are not as high as the above places

Reactions: 1 user
SF match is simple. You submit the required materials to the SF Match, and the SF Match people distribute your materials to the programs that you selected (it costs money PER program, so the more you apply to the more it costs). Programs then get all the applications, and then decide who to interview. Programs then interview candidates. After interviews have concluded for all programs, applicants and programs submit a rank list, and then you match! Or don't match if you are unlucky. You should email SF Match or talk to somebody from India who has successfully matched here to see what would improve your chances.

For what it's worth, I put this in another thread but will add it here. My thoughts on top programs:

In no particular order

Michigan
Baylor
UC Davis
Mark Terry
Lindstrom
Utah
Colorado
Bascom
Duke
UIC
Hamilton (Atlanta)
Casey
San Diego
Vance Thompson
_______

Harvard, Hopkins, Wills, UCSF, UCLA are great for academics but surgical numbers are not as high as the above places
Thanks a lot friend. Really helped to clear some doubts.

Key is finding an institution which trains fellows with a training license (not a full medical license), since generally foreign medical graduates who have not completed residency in the US are ineligible for full state medical license in all states. Unfortunately, fellowships that accept a training license are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Key is finding an institution which trains fellows with a training license (not a full medical license), since generally foreign medical graduates who have not completed residency in the US are ineligible for full state medical license in all states. Unfortunately, fellowships that accept a training license are becoming increasingly difficult to find.
Does that mean that I have to get US medical license to be eligible for US fellowship? How is that possible? After fellowship I will go back to my country. Is there any other way?

Does that mean that I have to get US medical license to be eligible for US fellowship? How is that possible? After fellowship I will go back to my country. Is there any other way?

For institutions that require a US medical license, the main hurdle is that you have to pass all USMLE Steps 1-3. Many institutions have this rule for two major reasons; a) they want fellows to help take globe call, and b) they want fellows with billing privileges. These require a US medical license. Private fellowships may not have this requirement but your results may vary.

For institutions that require a US medical license, the main hurdle is that you have to pass all USMLE Steps 1-3. Many institutions have this rule for two major reasons; a) they want fellows to help take globe call, and b) they want fellows with billing privileges. These require a US medical license. Private fellowships may not have this requirement but your results may vary.
Thank you guys for helping me.I am very much enthusiastic to study further in US.US is well renowned for its education and research.But I have negligible knowledge about the procedure.Recently spending time on internet for this. But I am nothing but confused right now .Does USMLE is specific for ophthalmology?

You need a medical license to do a clinical fellowship. How else would you be able to treat patients? Licenses can be full or training. Training licenses require steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE. Full licenses require all 3 steps of the USMLE plus 2-3 years of US residency (depending on the state). Most ophthalmology fellowships require a full medical license, since fellows take call, supervise residents, and institutions bill for their services. However, some fellowships require only a training license, but these are few.

In California, some institutions (e.g JSEI and UCSD) allow some hands-on clinical experience without a medical license based on Section 2111 of the California Board of Medicine.

On the other hand, you may choose to do a research fellowship. These are less formal and are arranged mostly through private correspondence. These do not require a medical license.

Thank you guys for helping me.I am very much enthusiastic to study further in US.US is well renowned for its education and research.But I have negligible knowledge about the procedure.Recently spending time on internet for this. But I am nothing but confused right now .Does USMLE is specific for ophthalmology?

It isn't. Step 1 tests basic science and pathophysiology, step 2 and 3 tests clinical medicine with some basic science thrown in. Basically, it tests a wide variety of topics but with a more primary care focus. See nbme.org for more details.

To be quite frank, it would be very tough to find a clinical fellowship without connections if you don't have a US medical license. You also have to be careful because a few fellowships will basically use you as an extra pair of hands to help with paperwork and pre-op/post-op management. Those kinds of fellowships, in my opinion, are a waste of time because you're a scut work fellow.

If your passion is more towards research you may have better luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any age limit for joining fellowship? Currently I am 29. For getting USMLE and sfmatch I think I will be of 31-32 year of age. I heard that 32 is the age limit.

I would also add Emory as a well respected and decent middle tier program

Is there any age limit for joining fellowship? Currently I am 29. For getting USMLE and sfmatch I think I will be of 31-32 year of age. I heard that 32 is the age limit.

Never heard of an age limit. At least not for American grads.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just wanted to bump this thread and ask for an updated list? I'm not sure what 'flavor' of cornea I'm interested in... but what are the current top fellowships for cornea in terms of training, diversity of training/volume, volume, reputation, etc.

Thanks

Would highly recommend Duke, but I am biased as I am a current fellow there. Great faculty, good numbers and Durham is an awesome place to live.

I also liked Wakeforest and Cleveland clinic!

I would add Cincinnati Eye Institutue. Working with Ed Holland, Mike Snyder and Bobby Osher is pretty elite company

Anyone know anything about the Bascom split? How is Palm Beach Gardens vs. Miami?