where are the DO school rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakaboro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im going to be applying to DO schools next year and was wondering whether there is a site that ranks DO schools, or an MSAR book for DO schools?

I know usnews ranks all med school but since Im not a paying subrscriber I cannot see all of the listings. So are there any other websites that rank the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't work the same way that it does for allopathic schools. However, a search of this forum revealed this thread, which I think may shed some light on your question:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370996&highlight=top+schools

Furthermore, I essentially agree with this poster:

czanetti said:
The real answer is that there isn't a top school system for osteopathic schools, people try to go by the ones that have been around the longest but to be honest with you find one that is in a good location has been around for atleast 10 years so it put out more than one graduate class and whos students ..(those not on the admissions commitee) really like the school. I know thats not what you want to hear but there are only 25 osteopathic schools and some are in the middle of no where some are in great locations but have only been around for 4-8 years others are radicuolously expensive find the middle ground and be happy with it. Every college has a good resident history expecially if they have been around for a while (ofcourse they would your bound to have a few stars over 100 years) I choose TCOM because I wanted to go somewhere warm, it was difficult to get into being an out of state student, cheap tuition and every student I have interacted with liked the school. I have family in dallas, 45 minutes away from the school. I'm from New York and wanted a change. Either way at whatever school you go to IT IS UP TO YOU TO KICK ASS ON THE USMLE AND COMLEX. From there you have the pick. Good luck and stop listening to people try to argue there case when there isn't a unified system to do it you can't go by it, and I'm not saying that having a unified system is full proof but it sure as hell beats an obvious bias or people just trying to piss others off.

here's a good link, below. there is a free guide (through the aacom website I think) that is similar to the msar, but not quite as good... look around the website, you'll probably find a way to order it.

http://aacom.org/colleges/

Members don't see this ad :)
so theres nothing definitive...i just need to spend a few hours on each website and read all about each school to see if its a good fit...so 25 schools multiplied by a few hours...aghh.

nevermind the fact that each school says the exact same thing about itself- education, research, patient care, and the like.

so theres nothing definitive...i just need to spend a few hours on each website and read all about each school to see if its a good fit...so 25 schools multiplied by a few hours...aghh.

nevermind the fact that each school says the exact same thing about itself- education, research, patient care, and the like.
there's info the FAQ thread at the top of this page that should be helpful for this (ie about the factors to consider when looking at schools)

From my opinion, PCOM, DMU, KCOM, KCUMB, and CCOM are the strongest programs. If you have a state school (MSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM...etc) they are very strong as well since they have quite a bit of state funding. It also depends on what area of the country you live in/or what part of the country you would like to live in. Also some schools will have more research opportunities than others. Depending on your stats you should look at the above listed and maybe throw in a few of the other programs that interest you. Just my .02

From my opinion, PCOM, DMU, KCOM, KCUMB, and CCOM are the strongest programs. If you have a state school (MSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM...etc) they are very strong as well since they have quite a bit of state funding. It also depends on what area of the country you live in/or what part of the country you would like to live in. Also some schools will have more research opportunities than others. Depending on your stats you should look at the above listed and maybe through in a few of the other programs that interest you. Just my .02

:thumbup:

Hi, Im going to be applying to DO schools next year and was wondering whether there is a site that ranks DO schools, or an MSAR book for DO schools?

I know usnews ranks all med school but since Im not a paying subrscriber I cannot see all of the listings. So are there any other websites that rank the schools?

No site exists.
Just know that UNECOM (which is in Maine) is on top.
All the other schools are somewhere below.

I used the Baron's Guide to Medical and Dental Schools to read up on some schools in addition to each school's website. (It has both MD and DO school descriptions)

My advice is look at curriculums, match lists, BOARD PASS RATES, location, reputation, of each school and if you have some spare time (and cash), maybe visit a few this summer

My advice is look at curriculums, match lists, BOARD PASS RATES, location, reputation, of each school and if you have some spare time (and cash), maybe visit a few this summer

Funny most schools won't tell you their board pass rate or they tell you its above 95%. I find it odd that EVERY school has a near perfect pass rate yet the average pass rate is ~92%. You really cannot use this as a reliable guage of osteopathic schools since there is no central reporting of the number.

Funny most schools won't tell you their board pass rate or they tell you its above 95%. I find it odd that EVERY school has a near perfect pass rate yet the average pass rate is ~92%. You really cannot use this as a reliable guage of osteopathic schools since there is no central reporting of the number.

Most likely they are talking about first-time takers plus repeaters. 92 is probably first time takers passage rate. Just my thoughts