Where are the NYU graduated dentists ended up at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in a nice and large suburban area and it is saturated with dentists. I checked the profile of the dentists on their office website in light of the recent debate on NYU dental school tuition and loan issues. With my search, I found no NYU graduated dentists except very old timers or who only did specialization at NYU. It is weird and ironic because since NYU produces the highest number of dentists among all dental schools every year, so that it should be logical to expect finding relatively higher proportion of NYU dentists among the dental offices in any given area (* in general, statistically speaking). So I came to a conclusion that due to their amount of debt, most NYU dentists moved to rural or military upon conferral of their licensure and degree to pay off their debt. That is where you can find a job or higher income potential, or scholarship/loan forgiveness opportunity. Otherwise, they will declare bankruptcy and end up in prison for not paying off debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nice conclusion but based on what evidence? That u don't have dentists in your nice area?

US is huge and there's a lot of places to practice. Also NYU has many international students. Lastly a lot of people try to practice in northeast after

Reactions: 1 user
I understand this is a miniscule sample size, but nonetheless this evidence supports the hypothesis that NYU dentists cannot practice in suburban region where the potential income is lower than undesirable areas such as rural and military environment due to their debt from school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously "birds" are not extinct as you didn't understand the logic and took it literally.

My father is working as an associate dentist at one of the corporate dental chain offices. The managing dentist is a recent NYU grad and a good friend of my father's. The managing dentist just took over a private dental office together with a friend of his who's also an NYU graduate and they're doing pretty well.

Just give it a rest already!

You sampled a very, very small population..... take a stats class and you'll realize that the smaller the sample size, there greater the chance that the data you collected does not represent the true population.

There is absolutely no way you can sample the area you live in and apply that to all of NYU graduated dentists. Lmfao...

In dental school if you are ever involved in any sort of research, please, for the life of you, do not make hypotheses like the one you made in this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
If you really want to know, call their alumni office and ask them to put you in touch with graduates. Checking where the dentists around you went to school isn't exactly the most thorough method.

From experience I know two graduates who live and work within the 5 boroughs another 1 is the dean at Nova and another is a board member at touro dental

I live in a nice and large suburban area and it is saturated with dentists. I checked the profile of the dentists on their office website in light of the recent debate on NYU dental school tuition and loan issues. With my search, I found no NYU graduated dentists except very old timers or who only did specialization at NYU. It is weird and ironic because since NYU produces the highest number of dentists among all dental schools every year, so that it should be logical to expect finding relatively higher proportion of NYU dentists among the dental offices in any given area (* in general, statistically speaking). So I came to a conclusion that due to their amount of debt, most NYU dentists moved to rural or military upon conferral of their licensure and degree to pay off their debt. That is where you can find a job or higher income potential, or scholarship/loan forgiveness opportunity. Otherwise, they will declare bankruptcy and end up in prison for not paying off debt.
Generally speaking, in any given area, you should expect a high proportion of dentists graduating from either the state school or dental schools close to that area, for example I'm from south jersey and there are a lot of dentists graduating from temple, penn, and Rutgers. So your assumption that you should expect to see a high proportion of NYU graduates is incorrect. Additionally with your assumption that a lot NYU graduates go to rural areas, or the army, you're completely disregarding urban areas. And as NYU is located in NYC, it would make sense that most graduates would prefer to stay in a big city rather than going to suburban or rural areas.