Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Where are the Texans?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Medigirl, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Medigirl

Medigirl Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious if any of you will be starting med school in TX next year. I will be attending in San Antonio--anyone else??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

yep. Im going to UTMB next year...Im actually starting classes there(a "prematriculation program") June 3rd. I have a friend who's going to San Antonio, she's really nice...her name is Holly and she has blonde hair. Maybe you'll meet her. Have fun!

star

4. atune

atune Junior Member

Hey! Nice to see some other Texans out there...I'll be starting at UT San Antonio too in the early days of July. The day is coming soon, I can't help but be a bit nervous, and am trying to beef up a bit on my Spanish. I am stoked though! I just found an apartment and am rearing up to go. Any UTSA'ers feel free to email me, [email protected]

5. BioAggie

BioAggie Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll be starting at Tech in the Fall. Can't wait to get out to the Plains [​IMG]. Good luck to y'all!!

6. ringo643

ringo643 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Also going to UTMB in the fall. Also tossing out half a summer for the prematriculation. It's been highly recommended to me. Guess I'll see you there, star!

7. Medigirl...

Just curious... are you a TX resident?

If not, may I ask why you liked UTSA? Its a fine school, no doubt, but if you are good enough to get into the TX schools without being a TX resident, you should be able to get into a top 15 med school.

------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

8. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Hey Ringo [​IMG]

Im glad Im not the only person going! (nobody else Ive talked to is). I did hear that its for everybody - not just med students, but nursing students, PA students, etc. *shrug* I guess I'll find out June 3rd. Are you planning on going to the pizza party? I want to go, but my fiance will be down there helping me move in and stuff, and I dont want to leave him alone too much - I mean, I'll be in class 9 hours a day for one of the weeks he's there! Do you think maybe they'd let me bring him? (and his daughter?) ANyways just rambling now. See ya in June!

smiles,
    Star

9. Medigirl

Medigirl Member
    10+ Year Member

baylor21: Yep, I am a TX resident. I moved to Seattle for college and retained residency. My reasons for applying in TX were all based on the cheap tuition. By your user name, I assume you go to baylor. Really liked it there when I interviewed, but was not so keen on living in Houston. As for the other schools in TX, liked them all but got the best vibe from SA.

10. FourthTime

FourthTime Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey:
    I'll be going to UTMB in the fall. I'm also going to do the pre-matriculation program. I'm sooooo looking forward to leaving my job and getting back to the academic arena. Guess I'll see Starfly and Ringo there. Looking forward to it! Good luck all.

11. tigger

tigger Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I will be attending UT San Antonio too!!!

12. Crafty

Crafty Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone out there going to Baylor?

13. ringo643

ringo643 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Crafty,

I'll probably be going to Baylor if I get in -- I haven't heard from them yet (they're frankly starting to piss me off) But for now, I'm very happy to be going to UTMB. So maybe I'll see you there (maybe not). Good luck.

14. Medigirl,

I only wish what you asked about me was true :)

Yes, I go to Baylor. Baylor University that is, not Baylor College of Medicine. I am applying for 2002 entering class. Unfortunately Baylor U. dissociated themselves from BCM sometime in the 1960s.

Have fun in San Antonio.

------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

15. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah! I was waiting for you to chime in on this one ringo.

If I ever hear from Baylor, I would probably go there. However, I'm trying to make plans otherwise. But, I'm also really pulling for you on the Duke waitlist Crafty [​IMG] (I really hope you don't take that comment too seriously -- it's all in good fun).

16. kahlil78

kahlil78 Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll be going to UT Southwestern.

17. Kahkeetsee

Kahkeetsee Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Another Texas resident here, third year premed. My top picks are UTSW here in Dallas or UTMB. I'm also applying back to my home state (childhood) of Arkansas.

18. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thought I would revive this thread since I'm about to become a Texas transplant in 2.5 weeks (aaackk!!). I'll be starting at Baylor. Seems like there's a good number of people in the Houston-Galveston area on these boards. We could have our own little club. ;)

19. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Another Texan here. I'm a non-trad in Houston. I'm applying for entry in 2002 at UTMB, UT Houston, and Baylor. Hope I get in to one of them because my husband won't move.

So, I had to deal with all the AMCAS BS just to apply to Baylor. If only they had stayed out of AMCAS for one more year! The TMDSAS application was great!

I'm finally done though, I think. Thanks to Baylor21 for the hint about the Baylor secondary, by the way.

Pam