Where are we in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impressions

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question was asked in another post but I think it deserves its own thread...thanks clarifying this issue for us currently applying. I really want to know because so far I only have 1 interview!!!

"Does anyone have any thoughts so far about where we are in the cycle? Are all the interviews given out yet? So far, there's 43 programs given out interviews, and there's only 35-40 programs left or so? "

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless things are very different than they were last year in terms of interview timing if I was in your position I would be a little nervous. Yes, you're right, there are still around 40 programs to send interviews, I am assuming you applied to every program? That being said if you only got 1 interview from the 45 or so that have gone out already chances are not great that you will get many more than that from the 40 remaining programs. The different tiers of programs are looking for the same type of candidate, and sadly it seems that for whatever reason you are not falling onto their radar. :mad: Do you have any back up's planned? I would start to look for research positions if you don't have anything. It only takes 1 interview to match...so I would not loose all hope, however I would start to look at plan B, just incase.

I totally agree with bragmt. I have applied to Prelim Medicine spots as a backup plan. I took a year off already, so I am not sure if that will help me if I don't match. Right now I have 8 interviews scheduled and I am still concerned. Any one have any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with bragmt. I have applied to Prelim Medicine spots as a backup plan. I took a year off already, so I am not sure if that will help me if I don't match. Right now I have 8 interviews scheduled and I am still concerned. Any one have any other suggestions?

If you look at the 2009 NRMP match data, people with 8 interviews had an approximately 90% chance of matching. So, unless you are socially inept, I would not worry about matching. Congrats.

Hey - some of those 10% that don't match aren't socially inept ;-)
I'd venture the ineptness may actually help you...
-S

hang on are talking about rad onc here or prelims? the op said 1 rad onc interview and 8 prelims. Is it 90% match for those with 8 rad onc interviews?

Last edited:
No, I just reviewed the 2009 outcomes and there were 4 people with 8 or more interviews that did not match. Regardless, 8 did seem to be the magic number.
To the OP, it's been three years since I applied but I remember hearing from some places through december. After christmas is when I stopped hearing, so don't give up hope yet.
Good luck!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but page 254 does seem to show that everyone with at least 8 radonc ranks matched. (http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf)

Could you clarify where you read about those 4 people?

hang on are talking about rad onc here or prelims? the op said 1 rad onc interview and 8 prelims. Is it 90% match for those with 8 rad onc interviews?

Yes, the 90% was for 8 radonc interviews. No one mentioned prelim interviews. The 1st and 3rd posts are not from the same person, it's an anonymous account called "impressions." I'm not sure if this is what your confusion was.

I had gotten my numbers from the original 2009 charting outcomes PDF that came out shortly after the match. I only have the rad onc pages, but I suspect it was an early version, since the one you posted is the 3rd edition. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. I never saw the earlier edition, but the second page of this one says something to the effect of "we effed this up before..."

I wonder if the original edition was reflecting the day of match and the corrected edition included scramblers who got a spot on Tuesday ...
-S

Unless things are very different than they were last year in terms of interview timing if I was in your position I would be a little nervous. Yes, you're right, there are still around 40 programs to send interviews, I am assuming you applied to every program? That being said if you only got 1 interview from the 45 or so that have gone out already chances are not great that you will get many more than that from the 40 remaining programs. The different tiers of programs are looking for the same type of candidate, and sadly it seems that for whatever reason you are not falling onto their radar. :mad: Do you have any back up's planned? I would start to look for research positions if you don't have anything. It only takes 1 interview to match...so I would not loose all hope, however I would start to look at plan B, just incase.

On the brighter side, I just got an invite to a program that seemed to offer their invites back in Oct (a month ago)...so I guess with cancellations, programs send several waves of invites? I've also heard of invites being offered as LATE as Jan (from a current RadOnc resident)...so stay hopeful, atleast for another month :)