1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are you starting your psych residency?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Anasazi23, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just thought I'd start a thread about where the 4th year people are heading this July, and what you expect of it.

After an agonizing struggle, I decided to sign-out at Mt. Sinai's Cabrini Medical Center in New York City. Looking very forward to living in the Gramercy Park area. From what I've seen/read, the hospital is the perfect blend of "big name" (i.e. Mt. Sinai), without the hassles of a large hospital. The residents and staff seemed extremely warm and friendly, and the program had a very nice blend of exposure to various populations, pathologies etc.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caffeine

Caffeine Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you mean by "sign out"?

4. Anasazi23

Attending Physician
    "Sign out" is the same as "pre-match" which means that the program has offered you a contract to begin residency at their institution without having to go through the computerized match system. You essentially just bypass the NRMP.

5. drchris71

drchris71 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just Curious if you are a foreign grad or if you were an american grad who was able to bypass the NRMP. Either way it's great...just trying to educate myself.
    Chris

6. jay dub

jay dub Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'll be going to IOL/Hartford Hospital in Connecticut. I'm so curious about the residents with whom I'll be working. It would be great to hear where everyone is going. Surprisingly I don't feel like I got to meet tons of people on the interview trail (at least not like in some other specialties I've heard about). It would be great if people could make some pre-June connections here with fellow classmates.

Congrats to everyone!!:clap: :clap:

7. Anasazi23

Attending Physician
    i'm graduating DO school. This is the last year that DOs can sign out of the match (supposedly). Not sure about FMGs.

8. BigBopper

BigBopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not that it probably matters to you, but community hospitals which try to attach themselves to a larger academic institution are never held in the same regard as the major academic instiution. They are basically considered community hospitals. Examples are Yale/St. Raphael, Hopkins/Sinai, Tufts/Baystate. In general, there is much less research going on at these hospitals, there are mostly private practice types rather than academicians, and they are much easier to obtain a residency position at.

If you are happy there go for it. But don't go there thinking you will have gone to a "name" institution.

9. Anasazi23

Attending Physician
    I understand what you mean. However, we spend quite a bit of time at Mt. Sinai, and can do many rotations there if we would like. They offer quite a bit more being a larger institution, of course. Most of what they have is available to us.

Besides, I'm sick of academia, academicians (have been since I was 8) and all its nonsense. This way, I get the name (on the wall), and the lack of hassle in some respects.

I'm a believer that in certain programs, like psychiatry, you get out what you put in. I don't need to sit and read at Hopkins to become an expert in psychopharm. I'll do all the ECT and specialty therapy that I'm inclined to do. I'll get my forensic fellowship and eventuallly buy that Ford GT-40 one day :love: