Where can I do US clinical rotation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr Kool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doctors
I'm new to this forum, but was told that I can find all the info that I need.
I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out?
I a recent IMG that just finished taking my Step 1, 2CK and CS.
Rigiht now, I'm looking for some US clinical rotations... especially in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine.
But I have no idea how to go about applying.
Where can I go? Which hospital can I apply to?
Please... if anyone has any ideas, can you please share them with me
Thanks a million
Dan:)

Members don't see this ad.

As a graduate, your probably only chance is to do an "Observership". There are several companies that can offer you such rotations for money. Please, make a search for "Observership". Also, you may want to contact IM departments directly.

As noted above, if you have graduated from medical school you are not eligible for US clinical rotations. These are only open to final year students.

You are eligible for observerships or research. Do NOT use these companies that purport to place you and charge you exhorbitant fees. There is no need; you can set these up yourself.

A search of these forums for observerships will give you some ideas on places open to you, but there isn't a centralized list as far as I know. You can contact IM programs in cities you are interested in directly and ask if they take observers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, docs
I'm just wondering, the hospitals that I apply to, does it have to be a teaching hospital or a university-based hospital?
Or I can just sort of shadow some attending physicians as long as its in a hospital setting?
Would the experience still count as US experience?
and their recommendation letters be as valuable?
If anyone has gone through the same problem as me and has some answers, I would really appreciate if you could drop me a reply
Thanks a million
Cheers
Dan :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies, docs
I'm just wondering, the hospitals that I apply to, does it have to be a teaching hospital or a university-based hospital?

There are some states that do not recognize rotations done outside of ACGME approved residency hospitals. However, those are generally for licensing issues so in terms of observerships and licensing, it probably doesn't make any difference.

Or I can just sort of shadow some attending physicians as long as its in a hospital setting?

You can, but generally the most powerful LORs (which I assume is the point of doing these observerships) come from those who are affiliated with residency programs. It does not have to be Harvard, but a letter from an internist with a faculty appointment is probably more weighty than a private community practice physician without one.

Would the experience still count as US experience?

It may.

...and their recommendation letters be as valuable?
See above.

If anyone has gone through the same problem as me and has some answers, I would really appreciate if you could drop me a reply
Thanks a million
Cheers
Dan :thumbup:

Again, please do a search. There are probably 32,546 threads about observerships.

Try to google search "Observership".

Regarding those companies, I once tried to look up feedback about them from various resources, and it seems there is a sort of controversy regarding their honesty. Some people say it's a complete fraud, so be very cautious or even avoid them as you can definitely, as noted above, do it without them being in the middle.