Where can i find online the table stating preference for internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahoymate

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't, every state regulates their internship priority differently. There is no one master list. You should go on the assumption however that as an international, you're near the bottom, except for the state of Victoria.

Based on my research, I think the argument over the shortage of internship positions is just all a big suspense drama. Every year nearly every student (international or local Australian citizen) has gotten an internship, and even this year which had a record number of students as compared to internship spots available, nearly everyone got it. the government made some positions available, from my understanding.

I think by logic sense, an international student who studied at an australian medical school, should not be kept out of an internship solely because of his citizenship. yes priority should be given to Australian citizens first, but the argument being thrown around is that international students may not be able to find an internship spot in the future solely because of their citizenship which is slightly too dramatized. I think everyone agrees that an Australian medical graduate is an Australian medical gradaute regardless of citizenship, and why new internship spots were created this year. It's was not a problem, is currently not a problem, and I dont foresee a problem in the future with this

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone on this forum disagrees with you regarding whether we should or should not get a spot.
The fact is that 180 students this year are unmatched, so your point is moot. Currently students have missed out. Whether this will get fixed with the government putting up more funds is yet to be seen. But for internationals considering starting here and with schools upping their tuition, dramatized or not, it's a very real issue. Overlooking it and saying "it's not really a big deal" then coughing up $300k freely is ignorant.

I don't think anyone on this forum disagrees with you regarding whether we should or should not get a spot.
The fact is that 180 students this year are unmatched, so your point is moot. Currently students have missed out. Whether this will get fixed with the government putting up more funds is yet to be seen. But for internationals considering starting here and with schools upping their tuition, dramatized or not, it's a very real issue. Overlooking it and saying "it's not really a big deal" then coughing up $300k freely is ignorant.

http://www.amsa.org.au/advocacy/internship-crisis/

To my understanding, they just opened up more internship spots. 116 of them. the remaining are still being worked out.

And anyways, students should study for step 1 and 2 during school to keep more options open. And studying for step 1 and 2 will prob help with studying for classes as well

You aren't currently in med school are you?

See how you feel about how easy it is to incorporate filling in the gaps from the Australian curriculum for the USMLE, maintaining a social life so you dont go crazy, doing a full course load and having extra curricular activities next year, then tell students what students should or shouldn't do.

You aren't currently in med school are you?

See how you feel about how easy it is to incorporate filling in the gaps from the Australian curriculum for the USMLE, maintaining a social life so you dont go crazy, doing a full course load and having extra curricular activities next year, then tell students what students should or shouldn't do.

I'm very sorry but that was not my intention. I know it will be difficult for me as it is for any other student. It will require extensive time management, but I'm hoping I can fit in studying for the USMLE as well :luck:

Good luck to you