where can i find Ortho "numbers"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biafra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone one know where i can find job openings and salary offerings for orthodontists?
it pretty easy to find numbers for oral surgery[aaoms] and pediatric dentistry [aapd] but i havent really had luck finding any for ortho.
i checked the ortho dept in my school and there is only one flyer posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Salary should have zero to do with what field of dentistry you choose. I know it sounds backwards, but it's true.

The average orthodontist makes much less than the highest paid General Dentist, but the average endodontist could expect to make much more than the lowest paid orthodontist, however, remember that the highest paid oral surgeon will surely make more than the average pedodontist, but in circumspect, it is important to consider that the highest paid orthodontist is going to be pretty pissed off with life if he/she hates what he is doing.:confused:

Bottom line. Don't worry about the money, because it will work out no matter what. Specialize only if you really want to limit your practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
amen again brother.......or in other words CAN I GET AN AMEN.......

You guys remind me of an old friend who wanted to be the first southern Baptist Jew. So for him, I'll give you an AMEN!!

Salary should have zero to do with what field of dentistry you choose. I know it sounds backwards, but it's true.

are you guys even serious? please read my post,why all the lecture about choosing a specialty and what not.
i just want to know if anyone knows where i can browse through job openings for orthodontists.it just seems like there isnt alot of jobs out there for orthodontists unlike peds and oral surgery where you have tons.

sorry for the "group".......as in all of dentistry, most clinicians are employed or own and operate private practices. Other options for employment are military, public health clinics (state,federal,etc), teaching at academic institutions; you get the idea. When seeking information on "job openings" in private practice, the BEST avenue for information is WORD OF MOUTH. Rarely do available positions get advertised on some sort of "job openings board", even though you may see some at dental schools to a limited degree. Get out and talk to practitioners, sales reps, lab folks; in other words-NETWORKING. In Ortho specifically, each programs alumni base is invaluable. Part time faculty members can be a gold mine of information......As you well know by now, ortho is a tight knit club and can sometimes have the feel of a "closed shop" but the fact remains that orthodontists retire, die, sell their practices or transition to other things which opens up a spot for another orthodontist.....

I dont know what is going on here......

The question was a fair one and one that has been posted in this forum before many many times, and one that Im sure you guys have asked yourself too.

True money should have nothing to do with the selection of a career but the question did not mention that. To be fair with biafra why dont we give him/her an answer and thats it. That is the purpose of this forum.

The question about salary has been asked in this forum in the past for which I recommend you do a back search. Other sources are salary.com (which tends to underestimate numbers). Also word to word is a good one too.

If I have to throw a ball park, I would say that Orthodontists on average make between 200 and 300k. Now out of ortho residency the figure that people talk about is $700-1000 per day. To get to the higher income level takes about 5-10 years once you have established your practice.

Lets try to keep things in perspective here an help all participants.

My two cents.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your question, but you were asking for numbers for orthodontics and suggested other specialties' numbers were easy to find. That sounded like you were comparing these specialties by their numbers. I was only pointing out the pitfalls of doing that.

To answer your question, the last 2 posts seem about right if not a little conservative.

I agree except 200-300 is WAY conservative. A proper business/asset plan for an ortho practice should net the owner on average around the country around 500k. My general practice which I sold to return to ortho has consistently netted 350k and it's very "nuts and bolts". Remember that figures are all relative to cost of living and number of hours worked. The key in any situation is a properly structured ownership situation. Associate orthodontists as non-owners can expect a lesser return as they have no ownership risk and build no equity.....