Where can I get money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 22 from NY. My parents wants to kick me out the house (long story). I currently have a 3.5 GPA from CC, and I plan to move to CA to continue my pre-reqs this coming fall.

Where can I get money to pay for college? My parents claimed me as dependent this year so I don't think I qualify for financial aid. I don't have a good credit so I'll get denied for loans. Do I have any other options? Besides taking a year off to save up for money? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 22 from NY. My parents wants to kick me out the house (long story). I currently have a 3.5 GPA from CC, and I plan to move to CA to continue my pre-reqs this coming fall.

Where can I get money to pay for college? My parents claimed me as dependent this year so I don't think I qualify for financial aid. I don't have a good credit so I'll get denied for loans. Do I have any other options? Besides taking a year off to save up for money? :(

You would certainly be eligible for scholarships. Try:
http://fastweb.com/

You might also consider the armed forces. They'll assist you with paying for college/graduate school in exchange for active duty after you graduate. I believe 3 years is about what you should expect, but don't forget that you would enlist as an officer, not a grunt soldier.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if your parents have claimed you as a dependent then you can still get aid. Hmmm, if your parents make a lot of money (like mine did), and don't want to help you out then your stuck. If I'm not mistaken everyone qualifies for a $5300 dollar loan/year from the federal government. My parents made a lot of money so that was all I got, and it was unsubsidized. There are also loans that your parents can take out, but I don't know if your parents would be willing to do that. I don't know if you're planning on going to a CSU or a UC in California. The tuition is quite different. Oh, and if you just came from New York, you wouldn't be a Californian citizen for the first year, and then your tuition is REALLY high. There might be other special education loans that you haven't looked into. You might have to work like 20 hours a week to help support yourself also.

Why you want to move to ca to finish up your pre-reqs? It's be simpler and cheaper to stay in ny and finish up those classes then to transfer halfway.

Get a job, or get back on your parent's good graces.

If you're going to a cc then it shouldn't be too hard to pay for classes. Get a job and a cheap apartment and take less classes if you need to. Welcome to the real world.

This isn't really a helpfull advice but see if you can marry the rich (jk). I know a 21 year old who married a 38 year old just so she could afford to go to med school. Pretty determined if you ask me. :laugh:

This isn't really a helpfull advice but see if you can marry the rich (jk). I know a 21 year old who married a 38 year old just so she could afford to go to med school. Pretty determined if you ask me. :laugh:

:eek: I cannot believe you just wrote that! I would sell my kidney and work 3 jobs before I married someone for their money!

that's if jobs and a buyer are available. if not... you'll be lucky if someone will marry you in the end.

Oh, I dunno. I may be interested...

Any rich old women hanging around here? :love:

lol

:eek: I cannot believe you just wrote that! I would sell my kidney and work 3 jobs before I married someone for their money!

I wrote it sarcastically, not realistically. That's why I put jk = just kidding at the end and the smiley. I would never marry someone for money either, especially when they are old enough to be my biological dad. That's essentially long term prostitution.

That girl is a real person I know and from the time I met her I was appalled. In her case, it is clear there was no love there whatsoever.

What ever you do , do not give up. I was in the same situation 7yrs ago, moved out and dropped out. I ended up having to work alot to pay all my bills, spent more than I should, now here I am. Work out what you have to with your parents, and concentrate on school. TRUST ME, im finally financially stable enough to go back to school, when I shouldve been done w/ school.

I wrote it sarcastically, not realistically. That's why I put jk = just kidding at the end and the smiley. I would never marry someone for money either, especially when they are old enough to be my biological dad. That's essentially long term prostitution.

That girl is a real person I know and from the time I met her I was appalled. In her case, it is clear there was no love there whatsoever.

Haha, thought so... you're too smart to marry an old fart for money :D

Your a piece of work . Your always talking about how hot you are. I bet your a fat hog. Hey dumbing focus on getting into pharm school. Instead of bragging on how hot of russian chick. Most russian chick stink and I have never read a decent response to anyones question. Its always how hot you are and your this super russian chick.

USA all the way you communist.

Your a piece of work . Your always talking about how hot you are. I bet your a fat hog. Hey dumbing focus on getting into pharm school. Instead of bragging on how hot of russian chick. Most russian chick stink and I have never read a decent response to anyones question. Its always how hot you are and your this super russian chick.

USA all the way you communist.

Not cool alphadog.

Ever thought of doing ROTC?

Also, I have a friend who has been in the same situation. Her parents are divorced, mother is an alcoholic, father refuses to support her directly. She lives in an apartment with international students that come and go, works 3 days out of the week and still goes to school full time. She attends a state school and emancipated herself from her parents, so she is listed as an independent. Financial aid usually covers her tuition in its entirety each semester.

It's not impossible, but it'll be difficult.

Ever thought of doing ROTC?

Also, I have a friend who has been in the same situation. Her parents are divorced, mother is an alcoholic, father refuses to support her directly. She lives in an apartment with international students that come and go, works 3 days out of the week and still goes to school full time. She attends a state school and emancipated herself from her parents, so she is listed as an independent. Financial aid usually covers her tuition in its entirety each semester.

It's not impossible, but it'll be difficult.

side effects

Where can I get money to pay for college? My parents claimed me as dependent this year so I don't think I qualify for financial aid. I don't have a good credit so I'll get denied for loans. Do I have aner options? Besides taking a year off to save up for money? :(

Depends on what part of California your going , to , all their community colleges are pretty dirt cheap over there compared to new york, im from the 310 area in cali and I just moved here to new york, the colleges here are mad expensive. The community college called el camino college, which is in torrance california thats near the beach is where I used to go . The fees were 12 dollars per unit when I was going there. I was only paying about under 1 thousand bucks for classes and books for the semester, FULL TIME You may also want to check out OCC , orange coast college, which is in orange county. Which is also ridiculously cheap. In that area you can look at soome asian newspapers and look for people renting out rooms in their houses. when I lived in orange county i was renting out a room in some rich peoples house for 500 bucks a month. which was down the street from OCC. What I am trying to say is, if you have a car and a part time job, you can definitely make it in california if your smart about your money. On top of that , those schools ECC and OCC is one of the TOP flagship schools to transferring to places like uci , berkley, ucla etc.

I never took out financial aid when I lived in california. I finished about 40 units there. Only problem that you may have while living there, if you live in the south bay 310 area, is that you might have trouble concentrating on school, because it is very easy to get "caught up" in the california lifestyle. This is why Im 26 now and still in school , while two of my buddies are 25 and are now practicing pharmacists:( . Good thing new york is not as fun as california, I can finally concentrate on studies :D.

If I was you , I would seriously think about trying to get along with your parents and finish your pre reqs in new york.

Take out private loans from companies like Astrive Direct Loans or Chase Education Finance.

I play $1/month in the lottery on the off chance that I hit the jackpot.Hell, even if I win $300 Million, I would still go to Pharmacy school or Medical School.

Something I've considered is becoming a taxi driver(can make good money in 2-3 days work), or finding the local mob boss and being his getaway driver.