Where Can I Go With A 185?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get a 185 on my board exam, what kind of residencies can I get with that? I want to do IM at a suburban hospital, and then a fellowship after a few years.

Members don't see this ad.

Llenroc said:
If I get a 185 on my board exam, what kind of residencies can I get with that? I want to do IM at a suburban hospital, and then a fellowship after a few years.
Depends on your OB/GYN grade. :laugh:

Llenroc said:

the ones that scramble.

Members don't see this ad :)
That bad huh? I hav en't yet taken the exam, but I want to prepare for the worst case.

llenroc, dont listen to tibor75

Llenroc said:
That bad huh? I hav en't yet taken the exam, but I want to prepare for the worst case.

Don't kill your chickens before they've hatched. :)

silly question in the first place...

A board score in itself is fairly meaningless. You need to analyze your entire package: your med school and reputation, basic science grades, clinical grades, any research/publication, other activities, lettes of recommendation you will be able to obtain, etc, etc, etc....

a deficit in one single component of these factors is not the end of the world.

If you have a low board score, then make up for that in the other areas- work on better grades, getting solid letters of rec, etc.

isn't this obvious? I still don't understand why people fixate on one component of a much bigger picture.

This year, South Carolina had a derm match whose Step 1 was close to your score so anything can happen. If you're US grad, dont worry about it.

Don't listen to them. If you score under 200, you may as well quit med school now.

... well not really but this thread needed a troll

APACHE3 said:
This year, South Carolina had a derm match whose Step 1 was close to your score so anything can happen. If you're US grad, dont worry about it.

are you joking. he/she must have been a world war II hero and the long lost child of George Bush.

Or the program director's long lost daughter.

Well if u r a foreign grad...then....well its tough.
If u r a US grad, then the rest would come into play, i mean ur 'entire package' (your med school and reputation, basic science grades, clinical grades, any research/publication, other activities, lettes of recommendation you will be able to obtain, etc). But don't lose hope, any idiot can score a 99 or 245+, all u need is that lil' bit of luck on the day of ur exam (they really don't ask u anything that tough).

Bah it doesn't matter, I got a 218. I came into medical school wanting to do IM at a large, average-to-mediocre program where they don't work you like a dog, so this changes nothing.