where can I take an online microbiology lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodslisa88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to take a credit of microbiology lab because my school only offer the lecture. The other colleges close to my house only offer the lab but I have to take it with the lecture too. I didn't want to do that so I was wondering if there's a online lab that I can take? Thank you guys very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I need to take a credit of microbiology lab because my school only offer the lecture. The other colleges close to my house only offer the lab but I have to take it with the lecture too. I didn't want to do that so I was wondering if there's a online lab that I can take? Thank you guys very much!

How do you expect to do a gram stain online?

I am not positive, but I thought graduate schools do not accept any Online Courses (according to my Advisor) or it is at least frowned upon. I would check with whatever insitution you are planning to attend if they would accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools wont except online science classes especially lab. Look at your desired school prereq schedule and find out.

Microbiology lab online is almost a disrespect to the course in general you cant do grams stains, acid fast stain,and microscopes

you cant cook that up online.

Labs aren't offered online, and if they are, then the school is a joke. By the way, there is no indication if a class was taken online or not on your transcript...at least not in Florida.

There is no online lab, but to hummor you guyz you can actually do a gram stain online. You can do it virtually, duh.. with a gram stain software and a decent mouse. and No I am not kidding :D:D

There's a community college (Lake Superior College) in my city that offers an online Microbiology class. It's freshman-sophomore level, 3 credits, and you have to buy your own microscope and equipment (really expensive). But it's an option. I hear you have to take photos of the lab experiments and send them into the instructor.

actually, you're wrong. i'm currently taking an online microbiology class WITH lab from university of new england. i thought it sounded incredibly stupid, but i'm actually really impressed with the lab software. it's set up so you've got an image of a lab, complete with bunsen burner, loops, scopes, incubators, etc. sure, it's not like actually being in a lab, but for me it's good enough.

i had to retake this class because my pre-req was over 10 years old. i work at a biotech company, so i'm in lab all day long anyway. this class was actually recommended to me by MCPHS as a great alternative for someone with my background to fulfill the pre-req.

all i have to say is don't knock it till you've tried it. i was shocked myself!

Wilson21, how hard are the labs? Do you think I can do well on it without taking the lecture at the same time? Thank you!

I honestly have never heard of a Microbiology Lab class online, but maybe for online lecture. I'm actually looking for an online Medical Microbiology lecture class right now for this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! I am thinking about taking this class, and I am in the same situation as you--i needed to update my classes, too. I have taken several classes through UNE--Gen Chem II, Orgo I and II, and I am currently taking Bio I..Don't let it fool you--it's a lot of work and good time management! Thank you for sharing your story!

actually, you're wrong. i'm currently taking an online microbiology class WITH lab from university of new england. i thought it sounded incredibly stupid, but i'm actually really impressed with the lab software. it's set up so you've got an image of a lab, complete with bunsen burner, loops, scopes, incubators, etc. sure, it's not like actually being in a lab, but for me it's good enough.

i had to retake this class because my pre-req was over 10 years old. i work at a biotech company, so i'm in lab all day long anyway. this class was actually recommended to me by MCPHS as a great alternative for someone with my background to fulfill the pre-req.

I honestly have never heard of a Microbiology Lab class online, but maybe for online lecture. I'm actually looking for an online Medical Microbiology lecture class right now for this summer.

I took the Microbiology lecture online at www.dcc.edu

HTH

I totally agree when people think of online classes, they tend to think that it's easy when in actuality it's harder because there is no one there explaining anything to you, for the most part your on your own. Your professor is available by email, but sometimes that can take a day or two. I like working independently so I don't mind online classes. The only reason I didn't apply to Creighton's distance program was because I like everyone at Xavier, and I think I will have a better experience.

Just my 0.02 cents, take it for what it's worth!

Wilson21, how hard are the labs? Do you think I can do well on it without taking the lecture at the same time? Thank you!

Don't go into a class with a mind set of easy or hard, sign up for the class and do your best! Seems like this school is your only alternative, so just take the class.

HTH

Thanks for your input--totally agree with you and your views on online courses!

Don't go into a class with a mind set of easy or hard, sign up for the class and do your best! Seems like this school is your only alternative, so just take the class.

HTH

I took the Microbiology lecture online at www.dcc.edu

HTH

Thanks, yea...I checked their schedule (I hope I looked at the right pg b/c the site is kind of confusing to navigate) and it didn't seem like they are planning to offer the class this summer. On the other hand, I looked into the "Microbiology for Health Professions" class that is offered at the University of New England. I know it doesn't specifically state "Medical Microbiology" but I am hoping that the school approves it after reading the syllabus. The material that will be covered sounds like Medical Microbiology to me. I already signed up for that class at UC Berkeley in case if I can't find a class or don't get accepted to another school. However I really don't want to stay up at Berkeley this summer prior to matriculation, which means that I only have one month left before I leave SoCal. If the school approves that class at UNE, then I'm going to cancel the class at Berkeley.

I am glad that i found this thread bc i need an online micro lab too! The one at new england is kind of pricey, but in despiration, it might just work. Does anyone know if you can just take the lab there, without the lecture?

And for all of you who thought that science labs are not offered online...WELCOME TO 2009...lol

Last edited:
I also need to take microbiology lab - my school only offers lecture but no lab. I don't want to take an online lab though. Online labs seem to take the point out of lab courses. Simulations don't reproduce what actually occurs and need to be done.

Have u studied " The Art of Cyber Incubation." Maybe you could culture some Ecoli on Drive D of your computer.

I think it might be immpossible to take an online microlab cuz u need to culture specimen

Hi Wilson,

I saw your previous post about UNE's Online Microbiology course.

I plan to take UNE's Online Microbiology Lecture and Lab course for one of my pre-reqs for Optometry School.

I was just wondering what your experience was with the course. Was it a hard and demanding course or was it much easier than a traditional format course?

Thanks for your help in advance.

you are replying 2009 post? come on..

anyways, online science courses are not smart idea at all.
Why not? First of all most schools don't indicate if the class was taken online or not, and in my school exams are on campus while the material is online. If anything it's HARDER this way. I have taken a couple of online science classes.