Where do all the C students end up... in residency and in life..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any stories about C students- where they do their residency, and how their lives are afterwards? Do they drive honda civics, and are they on the verge of homelessness? :)

Members don't see this ad.

YouDontKnowJack said:
Anyone have any stories about C students- where they do their residency, and how their lives are afterwards? Do they drive honda civics, and are they on the verge of homelessness? :)

You know that old joke..."What do you call the med student that comes in last in his/her class?"

What do you call a black guy that flies a plane?

yeah. a doc, and a pilot ("you racist"), respectively....

But i'd like to hear some true anecdotes.

I don't have any true anecdotes, but in the meantime I will give my thoughts. First off, by C student I assume you mean mediocre in all aspects - C's in preclinical and clinical coursework, mediocre board scores, mediocre letters of recommendation etc.
Logically, I would think most would do their residencies in primary care at non-top tier programs. All certainly match somewhere in something.
Regardless, I don't think a mediocre education necessarilty negatively affects your earning potential once you've finished residency. While outstanding credentials, and practicing a highly paid specialty, can make it easier to be succesful, I think any physician in any field can be sucessful if they practice good business and market themselves well - assuming that, despite being a mediocre student, you practice decent medicine and make patients happy.

YouDontKnowJack said:

I'll let you know after the match.

If their name is Bush, they end up in the white house and make a mess of everything. ;)

dodo2 said:
If their name is Bush, they end up in the white house and make a mess of everything. ;)
I was thinking the same thing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dodo2 said:

According to documents released by the Kerry campaign, it appears he (Bush) actually did better than Kerry while at Yale (and Gore too from what I remember seeing).

Anyway, there is a saying that I can't quite remember, but I think it goes something like this: "A" students do the research, "B" students become the professors, and "C" students run the world. Remember, the richest man in America is a college drop-out (Gates). In fact, of the top 10 richest Americans, I believe 7 of the 10 never went to college, and those that did, none went to an Ivy league school. ( I think I remember reading this in Forbes a few years back.)

The moral...don't stress.

ericdopt said:
According to documents released by the Kerry campaign, it appears he (Bush) actually did better than Kerry while at Yale (and Gore too from what I remember seeing).

yeah, it sick how easily the wheels turn for people with connections, but that's life I guess. You'd be hard pressed to find a country where the children of the most powerful people didn't have huge advantages.

ericdopt said:
Anyway, there is a saying that I can't quite remember, but I think it goes something like this: "A" students do the research, "B" students become the professors, and "C" students run the world. Remember, the richest man in America is a college drop-out (Gates). In fact, of the top 10 richest Americans, I believe 7 of the 10 never went to college, and those that did, none went to an Ivy league school. ( I think I remember reading this in Forbes a few years back.)

The moral...don't stress.

Another version of the phrase goes " . . . and people who get C's become CEO's."

YouDontKnowJack said:

1. I don't think there's much of a relation between med school grades and income. :)

2. If you can't be happy on $150 K/year, the problem is you not the money. Twice or three times that won't make you happy. :(

I say this to my residents and they all obsequiously agree. :cool:

oh, but i'm not talking about making $150k per year.
i'm referring to those few stories i hear of people barely scraping a teacher's salary. Of course, if i can make the same amount of money coming from a lowlowlow-tier program as someone from a high-tiered program, that's great.

and bill gates is really not a good comparison. those people have natural talent and/or connections. It wouldn't make a difference if he had a Harvard degree. He'd still be the Gates running Microsoft.
Whereas medical C students probably really don't have talent in medicine and have to struggle to make the grade. Plus, no one wants to network with a C student. C students have no power. :(

I dunno, that's just my uninformed opinion....

Sledge2005 said:
Another version of the phrase goes " . . . and people who get C's become CEO's."

Or they do C-sections.

YouDontKnowJack said:
oh, but i'm not talking about making $150k per year.
i'm referring to those few stories i hear of people barely scraping a teacher's salary. Of course, if i can make the same amount of money coming from a lowlowlow-tier program as someone from a high-tiered program, that's great.

and bill gates is really not a good comparison. those people have natural talent and/or connections. It wouldn't make a difference if he had a Harvard degree. He'd still be the Gates running Microsoft.
Whereas medical C students probably really don't have talent in medicine and have to struggle to make the grade. Plus, no one wants to network with a C student. C students have no power. :(

I dunno, that's just my uninformed opinion....

I wouldnt necessarily believe that C students have no talent. There are some students who may not be good at memorizing/regurgitation of material, and may thus do poorly their first 2 years. However, these same students may unleash their skill during their last 2 years, as they may be better with working in a clinical setting. These students are actually more preferred then those who can study text but dont do well on clinicals.

Step 1 boards also make a big difference. If you dont do well your first 2 years but then do extermely well on the boards, youre in good shape.

prazmatic said:
However, these same students may unleash their skill during their last 2 years, as they may be better with working in a clinical setting. These students are actually more preferred then those who can study text but dont do well on clinicals.

But...... I'm talking about students who never unleash their skills, even during 3rd and 4th year; those who get pimped and slapped and kicked on the wards.

I'm talking about all-around mediocre medical students who barely skid by, who go on to marginally pass their boards.

I wonder if they can catch up during residency. I wonder what 3-4 years of low-teir residency can do...

Solideliquid said:
You know that old joke..."What do you call the med student that comes in last in his/her class?"

Yeah, you call him doctor. But guess what he's referred to as by a trial lawer?

Fresh meat. :smuggrin:

flindophile said:
When I was in grad school, one of my lab mates was a C student. He was frightening -- I never saw him do a an experiment that worked and everything he touched seemed to become a disaster. Twenty years later he is chairman of a prestigious department and CEO of a company.

yep, he used his time in school to develop his social skills.

Anyone who passes med school and does a residency has a pretty good chance of being pretty darn successful in life.

I know of a very successful cardiologist who was held back a year in med school. Doesn't affect him much now.

Grades and scores that seem so important now will seem so silly to all of you in a few years. Try to get some perspective.

beyond all hope said:
Anyone who passes med school and does a residency has a pretty good chance of being pretty darn successful in life.

I know of a very successful cardiologist who was held back a year in med school. Doesn't affect him much now.

Grades and scores that seem so important now will seem so silly to all of you in a few years. Try to get some perspective.

Very true. The things you have to ask yourself YDKJ is:

1) Do you know where your personal physician went to school? If you do, I guarantee the vast majority of people do not, and frankly could give 2 sh**s.

2) If you do know their alma mater, do you know their class rank, board scores, clinical grades, etc.? Again, I'm guessing you do not.

Please, grades mean NOTHING in the real world. Do connections matter, yes...initially. Then, if you can't perform, you are SOL.

Good luck and chill.

If the experiences of my medical school classmates are any guide, the C students become:

1) assistant professor of cardiac anesthesiology

2) associate professor of anesthesiology at TOP Ivy League program

3) assistant professor of anesthesiology-pain management at Ivy League program

The above is TRUE. All were C students or worse and at least 1 failed part I of the boards (NBME prior to USLME). Two repeated a year of med school.

I believe the saying goes something like this: the A students become the professors, the B students become the best doctors, and the C students make the most money.

YouDontKnowJack said:

What year on the Civic? If you made C+'s do you think you could get one newer than 2000??? OK, what if you made all C's and one B...would that be enough to get a CD player in your Civic?

Don't worry about getting C's, YouDon'tKnowJack. You'll still be doc someday...hopefully...;)

Nikiforos said:
If the experiences of my medical school classmates are any guide, the C students become:

1) assistant professor of cardiac anesthesiology

2) associate professor of anesthesiology at TOP Ivy League program

3) assistant professor of anesthesiology-pain management at Ivy League program

The above is TRUE. All were C students or worse and at least 1 failed part I of the boards (NBME prior to USLME). Two repeated a year of med school.

I believe the saying goes something like this: the A students become the professors, the B students become the best doctors, and the C students make the most money.

I see a trend. The C students go into anesthesiology.

Reactions: 1 user
YouDontKnowJack said:
I wonder if they can catch up during residency. I wonder what 3-4 years of low-teir residency can do...

One of my attendings rambled on one day and said that students should all do residencies at no-name community places because you do a lot more. (Of course, I'd rather learn than just do).

YouDontKnowJack said:

I'll let you know after match day. Got clobbered last year.

well, if the c student has any sort of street smarts, he will get an IM residency at a small community hospital in a rich community, network his way to a posh private practice in the community and spend his days at botox parties for middle aged housewives. He'll probably also have the nicest car at the med school reunion.

On a personal note, I have a family member who was part of a surgical groupd who fired an anethesiologist because they felt he lacked th clinical/social skills. He went and got an MBA, became CEO of the hospital, and fired the whole group.

Sanman said:
On a personal note, I have a family member who was part of a surgical groupd who fired an anethesiologist because they felt he lacked th clinical/social skills. He went and got an MBA, became CEO of the hospital, and fired the whole group.

That's only a good story if he was the anesthesiologist. Was he?

Sanman said:
well, if the c student has any sort of street smarts, he will get an IM residency at a small community hospital in a rich community, network his way to a posh private practice in the community and spend his days at botox parties for middle aged housewives. He'll probably also have the nicest car at the med school reunion.

Are there any teaching hospitals in rich communities?

well is an anethesiologist, but not that individual. The story ends with the group doing just fine and the CEO dying (either suicide or a car accident; I can't remeber which one). So, either way karma is a B*tch.

There are definitely teaching hospitals near well to do areas. I grew up near one and now go to school near another. The richer communities need major medical care as well. And from personal experiences I can tell you that most of the successful groups in the area probably started off there, so connections abound.

Thats the ironic thing about going to a top university program, the name may help you get your foot in the door, but many of the connections are pretty much within academia. Of course, this can vary by field.

The success stories of C students are the exceptions to the rule. There are not that many C students who end up running administrations or become top scientists. They exist, but they are a rare and endangered species.

Success comes from being the most driven. Perhaps some successful people weren't driven at obtaining a certain grade (although most of them are), but they were the most driven at reaching their goals.

To answer the OP's question, most C students fizz out and become "a doctor" at the local hospital/clinic.

Can someone define what is a C student? Is it having C's in your transcript or having a GPA in the C range (ie., less than 2.50)? I am just curious. Also can some one define what are mediocre USMLE's which make a person fall in the C category. Thank you very much

"C" medical students are the ones that get laughed at once they are interns/residents by 3rd year medical students. If you give me 5 minutes with any resident at all, I can tell you what type of medical student an intern/resident was during medical school.

p53 said:
"C" medical students are the ones that get laughed at once they are interns/residents by 3rd year medical students. If you give me 5 minutes with any resident at all, I can tell you what type of medical student an intern/resident was during medical school.

Laughing.....all the way to the bank.

p53 said:

Whoa Nelly. I am an intern at Duke and I can say that while the medical students here are very smart and I am a C student, there is a whole heck of a lot more to being an intern or a resident than memorizing the TCA cycle and even the smartest student will be very happy to be working with a resident who might not have gotten the best grades but knows what to do when it counts. (like a code, a difficult blood draw and etc.)

Not putting down the A students because they work hard to get their grades and in my book deserve their success.

YouDontKnowJack said:

Hey, my Honda Civic gets about 58 mpg :smuggrin:

That's makes the Civic a pretty nice piece of technology if you ask me.

As for homelessness...well...

It's astonishing how pretentious some of you guys can be. Putting a person's future success on grades and scores. Amazing. I work hard and make pretty damn good grades. But I'm not silly enough to think that those who perform less well on exams are destined to be "just a doctor at a local hospital."

Some of you need to get real. Not everyone has a high school diploma, college degree, or graduate degree and were A students all the way through. Maybe reality will kick in when you see your plumber drive off in a better car than yours. :)

aren't most medical school grads regardless of academic performance destined to be "just a doctor at a local hospital/clinic?" i'm just wondering why that's such a horrible fate to relegate to the slackers. personally, i'm wondering why one would opt to go to medical school if you're not okay with being a doctor at a local hospital or clinic. the purpose of medical school is to train future doctors, right?

also, i'm wondering what the hell it means to put "a doctor" in quote marks. are only anesthesiologists, cardiologists and surgeons doctors without quote marks?

exlawgrrl said:
aren't most medical school grads regardless of academic performance destined to be "just a doctor at a local hospital/clinic?" i'm just wondering why that's such a horrible fate to relegate to the slackers. personally, i'm wondering why one would opt to go to medical school if you're not okay with being a doctor at a local hospital or clinic. the purpose of medical school is to train future doctors, right?

also, i'm wondering what the hell it means to put "a doctor" in quote marks. are only anesthesiologists, cardiologists and surgeons doctors without quote marks?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know you all are training to be Nobel laureates but my ambition is to be a doc and take care of sick people.

As an aside, anesthesiology and general surgery don't require super grades to match into and all those cardiologists started with a match into internal medicine.

happydays said:
The success stories of C students are the exceptions to the rule. There are not that many C students who end up running administrations or become top scientists. They exist, but they are a rare and endangered species.

Success comes from being the most driven. Perhaps some successful people weren't driven at obtaining a certain grade (although most of them are), but they were the most driven at reaching their goals.

To answer the OP's question, most C students fizz out and become "a doctor" at the local hospital/clinic.

Many people dont want to become top scientists or run administrations.

You guys are so easily trolled :rolleyes: