Where do AMGs get J1 visa from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xschen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused because nobody around seems to know the answer. Most people who need a visa are IMGs, so their situation is different from mine.

I would like to know the process of getting J1 visa as an AMG.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're an AMG going for an American residency you don't need a visa.

ECFMG sponsors J1s for IMGs. I imagine you should talk to your country of orgin's consulate. There will be similar paperwork, statement of need
If you are a US citizen graduated from a US medical school, what would you need a visa for?

Ahh...what if they're a Canadian graduating from a US Medical School?

I am well aware of that. But that's not the question that was asked.

Wait, does Allopathic MG add something besides "From an LCME-accredited allopathic (MD) medical school?"

I guess it may be because I know a couple people that are immigrants who would need a visa to continue on in residency, but I didn't think it was included in the definition of an AMG.

Otherwise, I am missing whatever was in the OP to suggest that he/she is a US citizen.

I mean, common things are common I suppose, so if that's all you were going for, then so be it.

Wait, does Allopathic MG add something besides "From an LCME-accredited allopathic (MD) medical school?"

I guess it may be because I know a couple people that are immigrants who would need a visa to continue on in residency, but I didn't think it was included in the definition of an AMG.

Otherwise, I am missing whatever was in the OP to suggest that he/she is a US citizen.

I mean, common things are common I suppose, so if that's all you were going for, then so be it.

The A stands for American, not allopathic.

So by referring to themselves as an AMG, the OP was using a misnomer.

But I agree with you a obviously the OP was saying they are a non-citizen in need of a visa who is graduating from a U.S. school. People are being needlessly nitpicky when the intent of the question was clear

Reactions: 1 users
As a graduate of a US medical school you can get an OPT to H1. Although then it would hurt you for fellowships since there are fewer programs that sponsor an H1 for fellowship.

For the J1 though, you'll need to contact the ECFMG as I think they're the only sponsors for the J1 for physicians. Whether they can/will, I don't know.

http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/?program=Physician

The A stands for American, not allopathic.

O rly? I thought it was Allopathic. I always refer to AMGs separately from DOs in my posts as well as RL discussions, especially in areas where it is relevant, like residency prospects.

So by referring to themselves as an AMG, the OP was using a misnomer.

But I agree with you a obviously the OP was saying they are a non-citizen in need of a visa who is graduating from a U.S. school. People are being needlessly nitpicky when the intent of the question was clear

Hell, if AMG means American, thn so be it, the term was improperly used. Is that what everyone really goes with for AMG? How come we never see AMG MD and AMG DO being used as these terms? I've generally seen AMG and DO concurrently.

O rly? I thought it was Allopathic. I always refer to AMGs separately from DOs in my posts as well as RL discussions, especially in areas where it is relevant, like residency prospects.

Hell, if AMG means American, thn so be it, the term was improperly used. Is that what everyone really goes with for AMG? How come we never see AMG MD and AMG DO being used as these terms? I've generally seen AMG and DO concurrently.
AMG has always meant "American Medical Graduate" and is synonymous with a graduate of an MD school in the US. And while it's true that there are non-citizen graduates of US MD schools, they make up a tiny fraction of the population (I don't know the numbers, but the 3 classes I am familiar with, my own of 220 and the last 2 entering classes of the school where I am now comprising about 250 students between the 2 years had a whopping 2 foreign nationals in total...N=3 but let's say it's ~1%).

All of this is to say that if the OP had just said, "hey, I'm a Canadian/German/Chilean/Rwandan citizen graduating from Midwest State Med School this year and I'm trying to figure out who will sponsor my visa" we could have avoided this whole conversation.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh. So I was partially right. What about DOs then? They are American Medical Graduates, but not from MD schools. What's the abbreviation for them? AOG?

Oh. So I was partially right. What about DOs then? They are American Medical Graduates, but not from MD schools. What's the abbreviation for them? AOG?

Just call them DOs?

The issue for the whole AMG/IMG/FMG thing is that they all have the same letters after their name - MD - so you need some further way to characterize them. DOs don't have that issue as they are a purely American phenomenon.

DOs don't have that issue as they are a purely American phenomenon.

Well, there are DOs in other countries, but (according to wikipedia) "foreign osteopathic degrees are not recognized by any state in the U.S. as being equivalent to American D.O. degrees"

Well, there are DOs in other countries, but (according to wikipedia) "foreign osteopathic degrees are not recognized by any state in the U.S. as being equivalent to American D.O. degrees"
As far as I know, the DO degree in most other countries isn't the same as the US version, but basically a chiropractic/omm only degree. We're the only country I'm aware of with DOs as actual physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
Just call them DOs?

The issue for the whole AMG/IMG/FMG thing is that they all have the same letters after their name - MD - so you need some further way to characterize them. DOs don't have that issue as they are a purely American phenomenon.

So does being a DO student also indicate that they are an american citizen?

I know I'm being a PITA about this, but I'd rather get this all hashed out so as not to offend somebody in the future. I seriously thought I knew what all these acronyms meant, so it's like being told Santa isn't real after all these years.

I know I'm being a PITA about this, but I'd rather get this all hashed out so as not to offend somebody in the future.
I doubt anyone will be offended at your guess about their citizenship as a DO or AMG. The word AMG is only used in contrast with I/FMG, when referring to the group by itself or in contrast to DO most people will say allopathic/MD. There are too few non citizen students in America schools for you to worry about offending them, least of all on the count of their citizenship.