SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

where do dental students get their dental work done?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by pntbutter, May 7, 2008.

1. pntbutter

pntbutter 2+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2007
    just curious
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
  4. Turnerjo13

Turnerjo13 Ski Bum 2+ Year Member

Make friends with a dentist in private practice and have them do it.
  5. Lopyswine

Lopyswine 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL

holy f*cking ****!!!!!!!!!!

these guys should be ashamed of themselves.

"The dental methods had hardly changed in the last half century. The more I thought about it the angrier I got. I determined I would pay a fair price and no more. I began a web search for a dentist in Mexico."
  6. caffeinehigh

caffeinehigh Dentist Dentist 7+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2007
    You could try to make friends with one of the faculty members who is involved in the faculty practice at your school? You could also talk to residents of an OMFS, Perio, or other program that places implants frequently? You could also try to find someone in your class with a parent/family member who practices locally that places implants and could potentially offer you a discount?

All of these have pros/cons as I am sure you are aware.
  7. Regmata

Regmata Member Dentist 10+ Year Member

Feb 29, 2004
    If you get it done at your school it will bel pretty cheap or you could ask a faculty member as others suggested. They may do it for just the cost of materials....

As for other procedures, I am nervous to have students work on me...
  8. UKdent

UKdent 2+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I personally wouldn't want fellow classmates to perform the procedure, not because i don't trust them but because of lack of experience placing implants. I would however go to a our graduate perio or OMFS program, or even better find an older faculty that doesn't agree the our new policy of charging students the same price as everyone else in our clinic, and allow them to do it. The latter has worked for a few student getting their wizzies out.
  9. Dukie

Dukie Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I see a dentist and hygienist in the faculty practice. I pay full price (they don't give discounted care), but the quality is excellent and it's very convenient. No offense to my classmates (some of whom are very good), but I'm going to see experienced providers for a while.