Where do I fall? Really confused now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uNiq1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA:3.87, 3.92s. 12P,9V,13B=34.
I have not submitted my AAMCAS yet and yes there is another thread going on about when to apply or not. If i submit my app by tonight or tomorrow will it take a full month to go through AAMCAS?

People keep mentioning the last few spots are for late superstars. What exactly consists of a late superstar (do I stand a chance against them?).

I really have been going back and forth about waiting 1 more year and applying later but the only problem is that I have no idea what I would do for that last year! I've thought about work, research, study more etc and everytime I think about it I realize that none of these things really appeal to me more than my excitement over going to Medical School and I really don't want to hold off on it unless of course it hurts my chances of getting in, in the first place.

So please give me an idea of where I fall and what kind of chances I have if I apply now and a comparison to applying next year.

Finally does anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly do for that extra year?

Edit:
If I do wait the possible changes I see: LOR a little bit stronger, Possibly retake the MCAT get 1-2 more points, same GPA within .1 point , Personal statement (little to no change), biochemistry major to pharmacology major, a little bit more research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a little late, but your stats are really good.

What kinds of extracirrcs do you have? Volunteering, research, etc?

Basically, if there is a specific school you want to get into, you should hold out. If you don't care, and you just want to go to any med school, you could probably get in this year, but you would have fewer options.

If you do apply, make sure you start doing your secondaries RIGHT NOW (all the essays are in this forum) so you can turn them in the same day that they come to you.

I suggest applying next year, when you can really have a chance to gather a decent number of acceptances to choose from. Rather then apply now, and pray for just one acceptance. Don't underestimate the depressive power of the application process, it'll bring you down.

I would wait just because I can't stand the "What if I applied early?" question. I limited my applications to undergrad, and I regret it everyday. I love my school, but "What if?"

Think of it this way, in 10 years you are going to be a doctor regardless. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of Research I have 1 semester and this past summer under my belt. I'll probably continue for the next two semesters before I graduate. The research i'm doing is a clinical based study on children, I started with it from scratch and worked with my team to build it to this point where we have begun pilot testing. Luckily I never had to do clerical data crunching type work in a lab.
I have served as a member of my collegiate ambulance corps for the past two years. Through them I attained my EMT-B certification and am pursuing my Advanced Care Life support 1 year cert. which I will obtain simultaneously with school this year. I have spent almost 1000 hours per year on active duty in addition to side trainings to become a crew leader (one who runs the call probably within 1 more month).
I TA organic chem
I am doing an Americorps state program which requires 300 hours of community service in one year.
I am an Resident Assistant (RA)
I am a member of my ambulance corps instructional staff which holds a very in depth class for EMT knowledge and skills
I am a member of a resolutions committee for my university which works with the dining contractor to assure quality assurance, product pricing and portion, etc.
Just recently I was on a cardiac arrest call where we performed active CPR on the patient on the ambulance and continued for about 40 mins in the hospital.

For the most part this is what I am all about! Would you take me?

Last edited:
GPA:3.87, 3.92s. 12P,9V,13B=34.
I have not submitted my AAMCAS yet and yes there is another thread going on about when to apply or not. If i submit my app by tonight or tomorrow will it take a full month to go through AAMCAS?

People keep mentioning the last few spots are for late superstars. What exactly consists of a late superstar (do I stand a chance against them?).

I really have been going back and forth about waiting 1 more year and applying later but the only problem is that I have no idea what I would do for that last year! I've thought about work, research, study more etc and everytime I think about it I realize that none of these things really appeal to me more than my excitement over going to Medical School and I really don't want to hold off on it unless of course it hurts my chances of getting in, in the first place.

So please give me an idea of where I fall and what kind of chances I have if I apply now and a comparison to applying next year.

Finally does anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly do for that extra year?

Edit:
If I do wait the possible changes I see: LOR a little bit stronger, Possibly retake the MCAT get 1-2 more points, same GPA within .1 point , Personal statement (little to no change), biochemistry major to pharmacology major, a little bit more research experience.

You are not a "superstar" applicant - is this what you need to hear?

You appear to be a relatively strong applicant in terms of GPA and MCAT, but by no means a shoo in. If you wait until next cycle, you can greatly enhance your chances (apply in JUNE).

Your EMT work is fine, but...you don't mention any other clinical exposure - this will hurt your application this cycle. Many EMTs find it hard to believe that their work alone is not enough for med schools - they want to see evidence of physician shadowing and clinical experience.

If you wait, do not retake the MCAT - MCAT is not your problem - being late is your problem. Do some clinical volunteering, and get some physician shadowing. If you can continue with research, that would be a plus. And get the best possible LORs.

Everyone is mostly in agreement of my applying next year. Can someone please suggest something I could do in that extra year besides the clinical hospital rotation? Something that I can tell myself is worthwhile and involved? Not just pending another year before medschool? If you have any ideas what so ever please do not hesitate.

What kept you from applying this year? Also, we need to know your extracurriculars to properly judge your chances. If they're average, you're in really, really good shape - near a lock - for acceptance if you apply wisely.

Moving to the WAMC forum.

I only know one person submitting lateish (like around now). He's waiting for one LOR and filling out secondaries now.

If he is any indication of what a late superstar is, late = good game for average to above average applicants. SDNers couldn't light a candle to this guy.

So to answer your question: No, you do not stand a chance (at all) against the late superstars. Chuck norris wouldn't even stand a chance at this point.

:thumbup: