Where do I find roommates?????????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patriots0000000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just curious as to how do I go about looking for roommates to live with once I matriculate next year. I mean I figured I would room with other first year classmates but am I supposed to judge living with someone based on a day of meeting with them...second-look day in case you were wondering. Is it even a good idea to room with other first years or med school students for that matter? I am just really unsure about how to do this whole thing.
AND should I get roommates first then go shopping for an apt or the other way around? Sorry if I am rambling but I really need some help on this subject. Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just curious as to how do I go about looking for roommates to live with once I matriculate next year. I mean I figured I would room with other first year classmates but am I supposed to judge living with someone based on a day of meeting with them...second-look day in case you were wondering. Is it even a good idea to room with other first years or med school students for that matter? I am just really unsure about how to do this whole thing.
AND should I get roommates first then go shopping for an apt or the other way around? Sorry if I am rambling but I really need some help on this subject. Thanks alot.

why don't you start by going to the allopathic class threads?

AND should I get roommates first then go shopping for an apt or the other way around? Sorry if I am rambling but I really need some help on this subject and since you guys have already been through this you would be the best ppl to ask. Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Look on craigslist for room mates, some schools help, list or have on campus housing, if your so concerned maybe you should rent a place just for yourself. as I am oos I will have to look at pictures, talk on the phone, and go early and look for a apt to share with some one. Hope it works out... it is not easy...

Do NOT look on craigslist... I've heard too many horror stories :eek:

You should probably find roommates first and then find a place together-- that way, you can sign the lease together. Also, a good way to find compatible roommates is to come up with a list of things that you are looking for in your roommates (cleanliness, independence, quietness, etc etc) and also a list of things that would really bother you (noise, drugs, etc etc) and put that out on the table early so you don't run into conflict down the line.

Anyway, best of luck to you finding a cool roommate. Good luck in medical school! :luck::thumbup:

Do NOT look on craigslist... I've heard too many horror stories :eek:

You should probably find roommates first and then find a place together-- that way, you can sign the lease together. Also, a good way to find compatible roommates is to come up with a list of things that you are looking for in your roommates (cleanliness, independence, quietness, etc etc) and also a list of things that would really bother you (noise, drugs, etc etc) and put that out on the table early so you don't run into conflict down the line.

Anyway, best of luck to you finding a cool roommate. Good luck in medical school! :luck::thumbup:

DO NOT LOOK ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!!!! very bad personal experience here, have heard of tons of others as well.

I heard some schools keep lists of individuals looking for roomates, but not all do. Other option is to go to campus and check the bulletin boards on campus. As for roommates, I would not suggest rooming with another first year. You will see them in all you classes, and you might just get sick of seeing them. I would shoot for an M2 or 3 so that they understand what you are going through.

I'd do it at the second look day. Unfortunately, you can't judge people solely on first impressions, but you do get somewhat of an idea of what some of your classmates are like.

and get your roommate first...it'd be worse to end up holding an apartment for 2 when you can't find a roommate through your school. Finding roommates through craigslist probably isnt a good idea when you need stability in your home life as a first year.

Suggestion? Live the first year alone, especially if money is the reason why you want a roommate. You aren't going to tell that you will "click" with someone else from now until school starts enough to sign a 12 month lease with them. The little things you don't know about your future roommate add up in a snowball fashion and may become nasty.

Think about it after your first year is over when you actually KNOW the person you will be rooming with.

Perhaps you could just arrange something like this. The french are cultural leaders after all.