Where do I from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stronghopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior with a 3.1 GPA (haven't taken MCAT's yet). I know my GPA isn't competitive, so what can I do to stand a chance?

Take classes after school?

What options do I have given that I'll do well on my MCAT (everyone probably says this)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior with a 3.1 GPA

Consider doing a 5th year or a gap year to increase your GPA for the application year. You can also consider applying to Post-undergrad programs such as Tulane's ACP.

Also consider DO schools. 3.1 GPA is barely above the 3.0 cutoff and I am not sure if your application will be considered for secondaries.

What exactly is Tulane's ACP? I'm willing to pretty much do anything after school to improve my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly to medical schools across the US. Take extra classes to boost your GPA. Get to the bottom of why you are not getting A's. Hopefully your GPA is a result of mistakes early on, rather than a pattern of persistantly low grades. It will be tough, but it has been done before. Good luck!

you can't just assume a good mcat score. take it first and see what you get
do has grade replacement (say you get a c in physics then you retake it and get a b+, then they don't count the c) and doesn't include math in their science gpa calculations so that's something to look into

I'm a junior with a 3.1 GPA (haven't taken MCAT's yet). I know my GPA isn't competitive, so what can I do to stand a chance?

Take classes after school?

What options do I have given that I'll do well on my MCAT (everyone probably says this)?
Take the mcat...28+ will give you a shot at DO.

When are you planning on taking the MCAT? Do you have dedicated time to study and a solid plan? How long will you be studying for it? Go into the MCAT only when you are as certain as you can be that you will do well.

MCAT aside, don't plan to get in your first attempt. Do your best to try, but keep taking classes in upper-level science classes to boost your GPA and demonstrate you can do well. Have you gotten straight A's recently? Can you for the rest of your semesters? If you aren't, why not? What have you done to adjust your study habits so you can ace all your classes?

Your GPA isn't so low you can't recover, but you really need to step up your game to have the best chance at getting in.

You're finishing your junior year. If you're serious about this career path, a full year (or maybe even consider extending it to two years, picking up a minor or another major) of all A's could have a profound effect on your GPA. You just have to decide within yourself if this career is what you want.. If you're gonna make it in med school, you should be able to pull an A in any class you put your heart and mind into. For MD, you would need to do that and additionally make at least a 32 on your MCAT and even still, there's a chance you wouldn't make it (but there's a chance you would).

Right, I've struggled recently because of various business activities I've been involved with. I've gotten A's in classes I've dedicated, but I haven't dedicated myself lately. Perhaps I should've taken it more seriously. However, I'm willing to do anything to get into MD, including taking classes after senior year.

Just wondering what other folks, in a similar situation, normally do. Someone mentioned ACP above, I might look into that.

Thanks for your replies, more advice is welcomed!