Where do I go from here? (Low GPA, non-trad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mimikyu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated summer of 2016 with a BS in Biology. My GPA is pretty awful: it's a 2.63. I was unfocused, unmotivated, and immature during undergrad and didn't put in the effort. Even worse, my grades show a declining trend as I lost more and more motivation as the years went on.

I decided I wanted to go to dental school this past spring. I knew I would have to majorly repair my grades, so I enrolled as a non matriculated student at a different branch of the state university I attended for undergrad and took a five credit biochem class to see how I'd handle it a year out of school. I came out of it with a 3.8, which was encouraging.

Moving forward, I know I'll have to spend at least two years shoring up my academics although I will try applying next cycle just to take my chances. My question is, does anybody have any other advice on bouncing back from a terrible gpa? I'm planning to take three classes a quarter for the upcoming school year, (retaking pre reqs and upper level classes) but I'm not sure if I should stick to doing it non matriculated like I plan or looking at another way (post back program, SMP). I chose to go non matriculated because most programs I looked at required a 3.0 to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Uphill, but possible. I'll tell you right now though, the adcoms will want to see more growth than just a hike in GPA. It sounds pretty vague, but you need to show improvement as a person as well through some sort of job or activity. GL

Uphill, but possible. I'll tell you right now though, the adcoms will want to see more growth than just a hike in GPA. It sounds pretty vague, but you need to show improvement as a person as well through some sort of job or activity. GL

Thanks for replying. I'm in the middle of job searching right now so hopefully I find something soon. Can you give some examples of activities adcoms would look favorably on? I'm assuming you mean something other than the typical shadowing or clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always say its never too late. Just because you got a low gpa doesn't mean you aren't capable of becoming successful. Maybe your choice of major was boring you or not challenging enough. Either way you have to move on. Choose a major that you will enjoy and be sure that dentistry is right for you. First i would get shadowing, volunteering, get involved at your school, first aid club, humanitarian clubs, science clubs and reach a position of leadership in them... you get the idea. Do something unique such as sports or whatever. personally i run an online business and have competitive sports experience, which i believe allows me to stand out. Maybe you can do some research too. Your next step would be to score very high on the DAT - 21+ this will show adcom you turned yourself around and are academically capable. submit your application EARLY and have everything ready by JUNE 1st! Best of luck to you. I leave you with this quote: "If you give up now, do you think you really deserve it?"

Thanks for replying. I'm in the middle of job searching right now so hopefully I find something soon. Can you give some examples of activities adcoms would look favorably on? I'm assuming you mean something other than the typical shadowing or clinical experience.

Correct. They'd like to see involvement in the community. Stable, weekly volunteer service at the same facility would really boost your application, especially as a non-trad. Look into local church or soup kitchen organizations. Shoot for 1-2 shifts a week, if able. It'll give you something to talk about during your interview as well. Hopefully you'll take more than just "volunteer hours" away from the experience.

You got an A- in your biochemistry course. I am sure it was challenging but that does not mean you are entitled to a solid chance for school. You will need to work hard for the possibility of being a dentist. Your GPA is very damaging; Finish up strong, and you need a 3.8+ on your masters, in ADDITION to a 21+ DAT. You can do it, I know you can. The question for you is if you have the work ethic necessary

Reactions: 1 users
Continue taking upper level Science courses and raise your GPA to a 3.0. Take the DAT and aim for 21+, enroll in an SMP, kill it (grad GPA>3.6), and apply broadly. It'll be a long journey, but worth it. Good luck!