1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

where do i go from here?please

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by goldensnow, May 15, 2007.

1. goldensnow

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just need some advice

hi, i am IMG, currently working in taiwan
    i have passed step 2 ck in dec, score 254/99
    then have sat step 1 , had passed , waiting for score report via mail
    the point is , what do i go from here, i want to apply for step 2 cs, but to tell the truth, i am scare to sit that exam,
    when should i take it, and what courses should i need to taken.
    i am aiming for 2008 residency.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you are applying for a start date in 2008, you'll need to take Step 2 CS before say October 2007. You may even want to take it earlier so that your scores are in when you apply. I would not take it later than October.

There are no specific review courses or books, but you may check out the USMLE forums here and see what the current students are recommending using for studying. If you have been well trained, work well with patients and have a good understanding of the English language, you should do well.

A few years ago there was a book about passing the CSA (which has been replaced with the CS for everyone). I found it quite useful, but am not sure if the scenarios are relevant. Again, check in the USMLE forums here to see what people are using.

In general some good basic tips:

1) introduce yourself when you walk in

2) offer a handshake but understand that some groups may not shake hands (ie, Orthodox jewish women) so do not force it

3) allow the patient to describe their symptoms and before attempting any examination always tell the patient what you are about to do

4) allow yourself enough time before the session ends to wrap things up with the patient - ie, summarize the problem, your differential diagnosis (keep it short) and what your plan is - ie, tests, labs, etc.

5) avoid medical jargon when speaking with the patient. You do not have to totally dumb it down, but if you start talking about HIDAs or ERCPs the patient will have no idea what you are proposing.

6) thank the patient at the end of the session. In the old days, patients rated you on your presentation, empathy and general appearance.

You should have a lab coat and professional dress prepared for the sessions. Do not come in scrubs, jeans, casual wear.

its a hurdle we all had to surpass and you'll get over it as well, as long as you prepare and do so intelligently.

best of luck...

4. goldensnow

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank for ur reply,
    just want to update my thread.
    i just received my score step 1 241/99. step 2 ck; 254/99
    and where do i go from here.

5. sga430

sga430 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Resident [Any Field]
    step 2 cs is much easier than the others. just do the USMLE workd and first aid in the step 2 CS. do it with a study partner. if u really think u need more try the kaplan course. however it is expensive but it will save weeks from prep time.