Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel so disappointed in myself right now I currently ended my first year of college with a 3.5. Started off rocky with a 3.4 in my first semester and worked my ass off only to get a 3.6 in my second semester. What do I do? I feel horrible. Mostly because of that fact that I put in so much effort and my best is only a 3.6. Medical Schools usually require a 3.7 and I couldn't even reach that freshman year. I guess I just want to ask if any of you also found freshman year tough and what did you guys to improve or suggest I can do to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools do not have a 3.7 cutoff, and a 3.5 is not terrible. Take a chill pill, and understand that this is a marathon not a sprint. Many many premeds end freshman year in way worse of a spot that you are in (I wouldn't call you in a bad spot either..) and they turn out fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line, you're fine.

I feel so disappointed in myself right now I currently ended my first year of college with a 3.5. Started off rocky with a 3.4 in my first semester and worked my ass off only to get a 3.6 in my second semester. What do I do? I feel horrible. Mostly because of that fact that I put in so much effort and my best is only a 3.6. Medical Schools usually require a 3.7 and I couldn't even reach that freshman year. I guess I just want to ask if any of you also found freshman year tough and what did you guys to improve or suggest I can do to improve?

Most people find freshman year tough as they are adjusting to the new environment. You're good.

A lot of people struggle during their freshman year so I wouldn't stress out too much about it. A 3.6 GPA is solid. Take the summer to recharge or do something interesting, and come back refreshed for your sophomore year.

In terms of improving, try to explore resources on campus to help you with academics. Attend office hours for your professor and TA, form study groups, seek tutoring, go to your university's academic learning center. Keep working hard over the next couple of years and you'll be fine.

Congrats on the improvement from your first semester to your second. Keep doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input. I just have high expectations of myself and just had to talk about this somewhere. Apparently my grades are coming out and my GPA this semester is actually a 3.45 so my overall GPA is now like a 3.425. I'm just nothing but a disappointment tbh.

Better start looking into Caribbean schools.

Just kidding you're fine. You literally have three years to raise your GPA. I started freshman year with a 2.8 first semester and graduated with a 3.8. Adjusting from studying the night before a test to putting in a few more hours to get A's isn't easy for everyone.

How do you stay motivated to do that tbh @Wolfpack93 ? I tell myself I'll study in my free time but I always end up studying 2 days before the exam and I pull B's. If anyone else had tips I'd appreciate it. I just feel like I just fail.

It's not the end of the world. I had a 2.1 sGPA freshman year and I'm starting med school this fall. So you're in much better shape than I was.

Where do you go from here? Shoot for upward trends.

How do you stay motivated to do that tbh @Wolfpack93 ? I tell myself I'll study in my free time but I always end up studying 2 days before the exam and I pull B's. If anyone else had tips I'd appreciate it. I just feel like I just fail.
Just remind yourself of what the goal is. And honestly once you get past gen chem/gen physics the classes get a lot more interesting. I was a biochem major and I actually enjoyed the upper division classes which made it easier.

Thanks for all the input. I just have high expectations of myself and just had to talk about this somewhere. Apparently my grades are coming out and my GPA this semester is actually a 3.45 so my overall GPA is now like a 3.425. I'm just nothing but a disappointment tbh.

You're very lucky to be in a position (GPA-wise) where improvement is not extremely difficult. Medical schools look for upward trends, so you want to spend the next three years showing that you used your dissatisfaction with that freshman GPA to drive you towards higher grades.

Some classes are easy A's. Others require a lot of effort. You may need to look into tutoring. You may need to change your study habits and the times of day during which you study. Try studying with a partner. Use YouTube teaching videos for difficult subjects. Manage your free time more effectively. Either way, you get out what you put in. If you really want to improve, you have to find the problem and work from there.

First, get rid of this defeatist attitude. Keep your head up, you'll be fine.

I finished my first semester of college with a 3.3 and improved every semester until I hit 4.0 my senior year. Recently have been accepted to 3 med schools. I know how terrible it feels but just keep at it!! work hard and enjoy your time in undergrad. volunteer, join clubs, make yourself a well rounded person and everything will work out:nod:

3.4 is not bad my friend. I know a lot freshman pre-meds that don't have that GPA. What pre-reqs did you take? What were your grades in those classes?

Bio and Chem. Had a A- in Chem first semester and a B+ in Bio. B in Chem and A- in Bio second semester. The rest is just a bunch of core classes. Thanks for all the support. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to stop myself form procrastinating. I feel that's my issue. The stress of tests come and I find myself studying but then watching an hour of netflix to "relax". I need to study everyday I think but i need to find a way to stay motivated and prevent myself from procrastinating because I try to do that but while reviewing for classes every day I end up just watching netflix because I don't find the urgency.

Bio and Chem. Had a A- in Chem first semester and a B+ in Bio. B in Chem and A- in Bio second semester. The rest is just a bunch of core classes. Thanks for all the support. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to stop myself form procrastinating. I feel that's my issue. The stress of tests come and I find myself studying but then watching an hour of netflix to "relax". I need to study everyday I think but i need to find a way to stay motivated and prevent myself from procrastinating because I try to do that but while reviewing for classes every day I end up just watching netflix because I don't find the urgency.
Cancel your Netflix subscription if it's really that much of a distraction. I've also found it helpful to temporarily delete social media apps because it's so easy to waste a ton of time on them without realizing it.