Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickennn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to move forward with my journey on to medical school. I graduated in '16 with a degree in Biology at a decent private school; cGPA: 3.4 sGPA 3.3. I have cookie-cutter EC's. I took the MCAT 3 times and received scores: 26 then 497 then 500. I had a lot going on personally during these MCAT takes but there is no excuse for my poor scores and it was mostly from bad decision making and forcing exams in order to meet deadlines etc. I was scoring high 500's on practice exams for the last take but ended up doing poorer than expected.

I have gone through 2 application cycles with 0 interviews. I applied late first cycle to 5 DO schools. I applied to 10 DO schools this past cycle. I have been scribing for a year now and dabbling in clinical research during my gap-year. I was wondering what I should do to strengthen my application? Should I be looking at SMPs? Post-Bacc? Re-take MCAT (am I able to take it 3+ times?) If I do an SMP will I still have to retake MCAT later on?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You applied to 10 DO schools as a 3.4/25 and didn't get a single interview?

Some kind of SMP with linkage is really the only possibility, but it's a very expensive route to attempt with no real value afterwards if you aren't outstanding with your grades in it. You might make one final attempt where you apply to nearly all the DO schools, after that I'd start looking into alternative careers (stuff like podiatry, pharm, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Those stats should be getting you atleast an interview at newer DO schools. I would evaluate the rest of your app critically to see if you are missing something. I would investigate DO linkage programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You applied to 10 DO schools as a 3.4/25 and didn't get a single interview?

Some kind of SMP with linkage is really the only possibility, but it's a very expensive route to attempt with no real value afterwards if you aren't outstanding with your grades in it. You might make one final attempt where you apply to nearly all the DO schools, after that I'd start looking into alternative careers (stuff like podiatry, pharm, etc).

Yes, that was my worry about the SMP. Wouldn't you think another MCAT retake is less riskier than an SMP?

Those stats should be getting you atleast an interview at newer DO schools. I would evaluate the rest of your app critically to see if you are missing something. I would investigate DO linkage programs.

I believe my 3 MCAT's may be holding me back. I have volunteering, clinical experience, shadowing, etc. I am debating SMP vs MCAT retake now. Will a successful SMP make up for the mcat scores? or do you believe I will have to retake it after the SMP?

Yes, that was my worry about the SMP. Wouldn't you think another MCAT retake is less riskier than an SMP?

I believe my 3 MCAT's may be holding me back. I have volunteering, clinical experience, shadowing, etc. I am debating SMP vs MCAT retake now. Will a successful SMP make up for the mcat scores? or do you believe I will have to retake it after the SMP?
Some DO linkage programs give you garunteed acceptance if you perform well. I would investigate those programs , this would prevent you from having to retake the MCAT. You really should be applying to ALL DO programs excluding the touro's with your stats. Your MCATs are probably not keeping you out of new DO schools.

What about the Carribean?
Better off going into a allied health profession. Op is not the strongest standardized test taker which is a prerequisite to do well at the carribean. 2.5 @180 credits and 512 MCAT would be a better profile of a successful carribean applicant.

Better off going into a allied health profession. Op is not the strongest standardized test taker which is a prerequisite to do well at the carribean. 2.5 @180 credits and 512 MCAT would be a better profile of a successful carribean applicant.

Thats true. You need to be prepared to score high on Steps if you choose teh Carribean route and it doesnt seem OP has the historical qualifications to do so.

Either move on or retake the MCAT. N=1

I would suggest you try linkage MD SMP programs, particularly those that have a guaranteed interview or acceptance if you do very well both in grades and over a certain score on the MCAT. Drexel and OSU medpath come to mind.