Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjoneskufi

Reaction score
Recently accepted to Caribbean school but after some soul-searching and hearing some negative things about the school and Caribbean in general, I KNOW I should not go and will not be going. At this point, I don't know what I'm doing: my undergrad GPA was just north of 3.0 and my science GPA was just south of 3.0 (due to a lot of external factors); MCAT 500. I still want to go to medical school but there seems to be so MUCH bull**** in my path: I have no money, no job, no life to speak of but I have remained strong (although my motivation waxes and wanes). I took alot of science in undergrad so I cannot really do a post-bacc. Should I just study for the MCAT, aim for a high score and reapply? I really don't know what I'm doing and it makes me very sad. I applied to LCME schools in the past and did not get one single interview. The more I think about my situation, the more I become depressed. I'm in my mid twenties and have very little to show for it. Please, someone give me an idea of what I can do to possibly get into medical school in the next few years.

I feel like this board is sometimes harsh but gives you the real deal but I'm just so distraught with my life. I did not realize the Caribbean was so terrible despite the evidence on this board. I thought I could just "make the best out of a bad situation" and move on.

@Goro @gonnif @gyngyn What do you recommend I do to try to make myself for attractive for medical schools? I know you've mentioned things before but I'm not sure how to look them up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply this cycle to DO Schools?

Did you apply this cycle to DO Schools?

No, I'm more than willing to apply this year (if it makes logical sense for me to do so)-would this even be a good idea?

My problem is that it is hard for me to get letters (been out of school a while and many people have retired).

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm more than willing to apply this year (if it makes logical sense for me to do so)-would this even be a good idea?

My problem is that it is hard for me to get letters (been out of school a while and many people have retired).
What's your last two semesters average gpa?

How long have you been out of school?

3.1 (mostly science courses)

2 yrs
Hmmm do you have a premed office or department? I know what i did was have my premed advisor email a professor about reminding them about my LORs.

Not sure if you exhausted all the professors but if not ask them again and have your advisor email them as well.

Hmmm do you have a premed office or department? I know what i did was have my premed advisor email a professor about reminding them about my LORs.

Not sure if you exhausted all the professors but if not ask them again and have your advisor email them as well.

It would be nice if my school was this organized but, it is not. I don't know how much help I'd get from my school which just adds to my frustration.

Would just stregthening my MCAT be enough? I'm not trying to avoid hard work but it just seems like no one is willing to help me get into any additional academic programs (e.g. letters of reference).

Would just stregthening my MCAT be enough? I'm not trying to avoid hard work but it just seems like no one is willing to help me get into any additional academic programs (e.g. letters of reference).
Ideally you should get your mcat up but your gpa is what's holding you back the most. 500 mcat can get you into DO schools so I would not worry about that yet.

Ideally you should get your mcat up but your gpa is what's holding you back the most. 500 mcat can get you into DO schools so I would not worry about that yet.

I don't know how to address this given I've taken a good amount of science.

URM?

Non-urm with 3.1 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA and 500 MCAT isn't enough for DO schools I would think.

@Goro would know for sure.

I'm smelling an SMP.

I think your numbers are weak for all medical schools, compounded by your low GPA in your last two semesters and your inability to get strong letters.

Your MCAT isn't doing you any favors, either, and - even with a decent GPA - still only puts you within striking range of the newest (read: scary) DO schools.

I recommend looking into SMP programs with linkage or considering a post-bacc and killing it.

GPA is low, one way to combat this if you want to spend $$ is through an SMP (special master's program) like an MS in (Bio)Medical Sciences, which are typically one year long and simulate medical school. Graduate GPAs like this show up on their own on the AAMC GPA Grid so if you get a 4.0 then that may offset the low undergrad GPA. Look for one with linkage to a DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP needs to research SMP's to learn difference between these special masters' programs and traditional pre-med post-baccs.

OP needs to reinvent and apply as non-traditional.

May also need continued service to those less fortunate, as well as updated clinical experience/exposure and/or research. OP does not say what they have done to strengthen their app in these 2 years.

Retake of MCAT might make sense if they need to (bc of date of original MCAT) or if scoring consistently >510 on full length practice tests. If URIM, not as critical to do this step, but if ORM, a 500 MCAT, esp combined with the GPA, can make your application too likely to get screened out.

Earliest cycle to apply would be 2020-2021. Many people apply at age 28-30 (though it CAN hurt non-military to apply after 30).

OP seems to be in a low place. We can not diagnose anyone, but we know the buzz words that identify those at risk, so see if there is a place to get evaluation for possible mental health issues. The whole application process can wear down everyone, and some support can help.

The guy types he has no income, no job, and no life and yet every follow-up post is about the application process. Really guys.

The guy types he has no income, no job, and no life and yet every follow-up post is about the application process. Really guys.

This is a medical school help forum. OP’s post clearly implies a question of how OP gets into medical school from where OP is at.

I’m here to help people get into medical school. I’m not a life counselor. Sorry.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a medical school help forum. OP’s post clearly implies a question of how OP gets into medical school from where OP is at. I’m here to help people get into medical school. I’m not a life counselor. Sorry.
You recommended someone to do an SMP when they just told you they can't afford a Happy Meal (no income, no job). I think that for a good portion of students who fail or get subpar grades that the issue is less about doing more/throwing more money at a problem and more into assessing a root cause. Someone having a poor performance, because they don't have basic life needs is pretty much a recipe for a repeat performance if they are still missing... those basic life needs.

@Isoval Am I speaking another language?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm smelling an SMP.

I think your numbers are weak for all medical schools, compounded by your low GPA in your last two semesters and your inability to get strong letters.

Your MCAT isn't doing you any favors, either, and - even with a decent GPA - still only puts you within striking range of the newest (read: scary) DO schools.

I recommend looking into SMP programs with linkage or considering a post-bacc and killing it.

I'm not able to get any letters, let alone strong letters.

You recommended someone to do an SMP when they just told you they can't afford a Happy Meal (no income, no job). I think that for a good portion of students who fail or get subpar grades that the issue is less about doing more/throwing more money at a problem and more into assessing a root cause. Someone having a poor performance, because they don't have basic life needs is pretty much a recipe for a repeat performance if they are still missing... those basic life needs.

I don't have an income and a job now but this hasn't always been the case. I'm just trying to figure out how to get on my feet and move forward with my goal.

I recognize that OP is not in a position to currently pay for an SMP. There are multiple avenues through which this may become a reality, whether it's in the short or the long term, including loans, scholarships, military service, or many, many others.

With that being said, this is SDN. Not pennypinchers.net. If that's what OP currently needs help with, they came to the wrong forum.

I recognize that OP is not in a position to currently pay for an SMP. There are multiple avenues through which this may become a reality, whether it's in the short or the long term, including loans, scholarships, military service, or many, many others.

With that being said, this is SDN. Not pennypinchers.net. If that's what OP currently needs help with, they came to the wrong forum.

I thought SMPs have financial aid? Not trying to get finance advice from a premed forum but merely trying to plan for the next year or so academically.

I thought SMPs have financial aid? Not trying to get finance advice from a premed forum but merely trying to plan for the next year or so academically.

This is highly dependent on the program. How much, what kind, etc. are all very school- and program-dependent. This should be something you look at when researching SMPs; if this information isn't publicly posted, give them a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to find out their financial aid information for you.

In most cases, though, the school's financial aid is unlikely to cover the entire program. You're probably looking at federal or third-party loans of some sort to jump back into school.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that your URM status may open some doors and change my recommendation from taking an SMP to applying, pending the rest of your application (with an otherwise solid app, it could work). But, you still have the dilemma of not having any letters of recommendation. Given that most medical schools like to see a letter from science faculty, you may actually have to go back to school in order to fix this anyways.

Last edited:
@jimjoneskufi Having been homeless for a brief period of time, I understand how sudden life can change and you go from situation A to situation B. My two cents is that you have to find internal stability and that you don't jump quickly into a post-bac because they are designed to be expensive as well as to weed out students who haven't done their due diligence before starting them. I know that one method is using a weighted grading system so that the higher the class performs on average, the more you get penalized for missing questions the majority were able to score correctly. This means that benchmarks such as earning a 3.5 grants you a guaranteed acceptance has different connotations than what you might expect from what you would think is involved in getting a 3.5 in any given program.

@Isoval Taking note of someone who types that they have no income and are going to continue the premed process without a job to supplement that income is not analogous to them penny pinching. It's kind of a ridiculous comparison, but one that's really common for people who have had little to no financial barriers in their premed process. I really do think that people who insist that failure within being a premed is an isolated instance of being an inadequate premed are speaking from self-experience of not having to choose between office hours/working a full time job. Or even having to sacrifice a lab score/quiz in order to meet ends meet. I think it's all relevant, but I don't think neither of us really care to change our opinion on this matter.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in no ways able to offer admissions advice but I would suggest looking at SMPs/Post-bac programs that are for URM. The university that I work for has a program (not sure if it’s a full SMP) for individuals who are URM and not quite competitive for med school admissions.

PM me and I’ll let you know where this is.

I’m in no ways able to offer admissions advice but I would suggest looking at SMPs/Post-bac programs that are for URM. The university that I work for has a program (not sure if it’s a full SMP) for individuals who are URM and not quite competitive for med school admissions.

PM me and I’ll let you know where this is.

SDN won't let me PM you; could you possibly PM me the information?

Before you embark on an expensive SMP or whatever, do some soul searching to try to understand why you’re not excelling in school. If you haven’t figured out how to efficiently study, budget time, deal with a disability, etc. you will get annihilated in medical school, and if you get very far behind it’s extraordinarily difficult to catch up.

OP, I think your situation can definitely be overcome, but it definitely won't be easy, you might need to change your approach to how you study, and it will take time. With an SMP you need to be aware it's a high stakes program, where you will get a shot at admissions at some programs if you perform really well or dig yourself into an even deeper hole if you don't do well. I am not sure if you will be competitive to apply to such programs to begin with, but if you are not, then in the meantime I would suggest getting a job that allows you to get clinical experience. Most of these jobs will have some sort of certification/class requirement, which you would need to invest in, but doing this will allow you to get save some cash while getting valuable experience. At the same time trying to take classes at a local community college to decrease the cost and doing well in those classes so you are at a better standing to get into those SMPs, wouldn't be a bad idea.

All in all I think you would be looking at a couple of years before applying, but it can be done. I had to take 3 gap years, improving my weak areas before I was lucky to be accepted at a program so it can definitely be done.

Only the newest of the new.

Suggest SMP

Sorry just curious. Why would OP need an SMP? Isn't it about showing that the you of now is not the you of then? Couldn't OP just take 30 credits of upper division science classes and get a 4.0 in them. (Ideally at a four year institution but if costs are an issue then CC is fine)

OP, you need to then retake the MCAT and get at least a 505. With a 505 and maybe a year (30 credits, so 15 credits a semester) of a 4.0, you should be able to at least get interviews from several DO programs right?

Also good job on not going to the Caribbean. Trust me. That would've made you completely fu**ed

Read Goro's guide to reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
OK OP. The first thing you need to do is find a way to get a job. Try to maybe get a loan and start working as a CRC or something. It'll at least pay you something. Then at the side, take classes. You NEED to take classes again. Maybe at a local CC or a four year institution. Once you've taken those, try to get close to those professors. You NEED to get a 4.0 in this. Once you do that, prep hard for the MCAT. Try to get a least a 505. You should be OK for several DO schools

Sorry just curious. Why would OP need an SMP? Isn't it about showing that the you of now is not the you of then? Couldn't OP just take 30 credits of upper division science classes and get a 4.0 in them. (Ideally at a four year institution but if costs are an issue then CC is fine)

OP, you need to then retake the MCAT and get at least a 505. With a 505 and maybe a year (30 credits, so 15 credits a semester) of a 4.0, you should be able to at least get interviews from several DO programs right?

We suggested SMPs because that might knock out two birds with one stone. Neither OP's GPA or MCAT are currently in favorable states, and a solid SMP would assuage most concerns there - SMPs show, essentially, "I can handle medical school" definitively. Of course, this option is higher risk as it may also show, definitively, that one cannot handle medical school.

Based upon OP's post history, he needs a structured program. I actually didn't read the OP, but was responding to something else , I think. I had thought the IOP was accepted into a stateside MD school, but alas, it was yet another case of the Carib predators hooking another desperate mark.

Back to @jimjoneskufi , you're not ready for med school now. How are you going to afford the app fees, the travel costs, and even if accepted, the hefty deposits???

You need to get a job, work for a few years, maybe take a class or two part time to keep the academic chops up (but you have to ace these things). Save up your money, and then apply to an SMP.

We suggested SMPs because that might knock out two birds with one stone. Neither OP's GPA or MCAT are currently in favorable states, and a solid SMP would assuage most concerns there - SMPs show, essentially, "I can handle medical school" definitively. Of course, this option is higher risk as it may also show, definitively, that one cannot handle medical school.

I think SMPs are way too high risk. I’d pursue a post bacc. It’s OP’s decision tho

URM with your stats should have a shot at DO schools.

If you do a year of a solid post bacc and bump your gpa up or retake your retake and get a 505 you could probably a get low tier MD (especially if HBCU are an option).