Where Do I Go From Here ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaEXE

Reaction score
In need of advice on where to go from here. Tips, stories, or anything else that may help with my journey would be greatly appreciated.

Background:

High school:
  • GPA 3.54
  • Freshman and sophomore year had A's,B's,C's and D's. Junior year had only one B(89%). Senior year had all A's, but was all concurrent/dual enrollment.
  • ACT 24, SAT 1170
  • Accepted to dream college next fall
  • Finishing high school with 29 college credits (basically my whole freshman year of college completed)
Currently it is my senior year of high school, but as I have >95% in every class I expect to complete next semesters courses with around the same degree of success, although I know I have more intense courses planned for next semester.

Extracurricular:
  • 1000 non-clinical/research volunteering
  • One of twelve high school students selected for a 2019 hands-on laboratory work along with a conference. Roughly 20 hours of experience.
  • 2 years of work experience. (coming up on 3 years this June)
  • Trifecta state champion wrestler. Academic, Dual, State championship.
Have attempted to get in with one research program with no guaranteed success. However, I have another meeting tomorrow which will hopefully be more fruitful. My aunt is an ER doctor who I plan to shadow for the last year or two years of my college career.

Simply put, I hate wasting time. I wish to dedicate as much of my time as possible to the betterment of others.

EDIT: What I am asking for is, with my completion of high school and entry into college what advice does anyone have to make for a phenomenal med-school application? It can be as simple as "good grades, high MCAT" or can be more detailed advice regarding pacing yourself and study tips. Stories of good applications submitted by peers or yourself work as well. Just looking for goals and mile markers to become the best applicant and doctor I can possibly be.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take a deep breath buddy. I don’t understand. Are you applying to a direct entry program? What exactly do you need advice on?

Reactions: 1 user
Take a deep breath buddy. I don’t understand. Are you applying to a direct entry program? What exactly do you need advice on?
Sorry I wasn't more clear about what I was asking. It's a wide net of advice. What I am asking for is, with my completion of high school and entry into college what advice does anyone have to make for a phenomenal med-school application? It can be as simple as "good grades, high MCAT" or can be more detailed advice regarding pacing yourself and study tips. Stories of good applications submitted by peers or yourself work as well. Just looking for goals and mile markers to become the best applicant and doctor I can possibly be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the first semester to evaluate your abilities, and adjust to a new environment. Don't worry about building your app the first semester; make friends, do well in class, build a social support network, find hobbies! Don't try to stack your hours so that it looks like you took "hard semesters", take the course load you are recommended to take (12-16 hrs/semester depending).

After Christmas, only then would I suggest that one start figuring out their app! You are going to want experience in clinical volunteering (such as helping at a hospital or free clinic), non clinical (such as helping at a soup kitchen, salvation army, anything really. I judged for my HS debate team), leadership (such as being VP or pres. of a club), research, and LORs. Once you have settled into your second semester, I would start probing different places about volunteer opportunities, email some profs about helping in their lab, and start talking to professors (to build a relationship you can ask for a LOR from in three years). Also find some clubs that you really are interested in, you will find getting a leadership position is relatively easy come junior year if you have been in the club for a year or two. Throughout all of this, try your best to keep a close circle of friends, having that support is alot more helpful than one realizes - until they lose it!

Don't worry about the MCAT until junior year or senior year if you are planning to take a gap year. It is useless and stressful to start studying for it more than a year out (I started about 6 months prior, took it early April junior yr, started studying in Oct).

Your HS volunteering matters very little come med school app time, unless it was something absolutely huge I would think.

For me, I started research sophomore year fall semester after I cold emailed several profs. Ended up working for one since then (currently am a senior). I also cold emailed several clinics, hospitals, and doctors (which is how I got my volunteer positions and shadowing hours). In terms of leadership, I got lucky at several of my clubs to get in a position.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Take the first semester to evaluate your abilities, and adjust to a new environment. Don't worry about building your app the first semester; make friends, do well in class, build a social support network, find hobbies! Don't try to stack your hours so that it looks like you took "hard semesters", take the course load you are recommended to take (12-16 hrs/semester depending).

After Christmas, only then would I suggest that one start figuring out their app! You are going to want experience in clinical volunteering (such as helping at a hospital or free clinic), non clinical (such as helping at a soup kitchen, salvation army, anything really. I judged for my HS debate team), leadership (such as being VP or pres. of a club), research, and LORs. Once you have settled into your second semester, I would start probing different places about volunteer opportunities, email some profs about helping in their lab, and start talking to professors (to build a relationship you can ask for a LOR from in three years). Also find some clubs that you really are interested in, you will find getting a leadership position is relatively easy come junior year if you have been in the club for a year or two. Throughout all of this, try your best to keep a close circle of friends, having that support is alot more helpful than one realizes - until they lose it!

Don't worry about the MCAT until junior year or senior year if you are planning to take a gap year. It is useless and stressful to start studying for it more than a year out (I started about 6 months prior, took it early April junior yr, started studying in Oct).

Your HS volunteering matters very little come med school app time, unless it was something absolutely huge I would think.

For me, I started research sophomore year fall semester after I cold emailed several profs. Ended up working for one since then (currently am a senior). I also cold emailed several clinics, hospitals, and doctors (which is how I got my volunteer positions and shadowing hours). In terms of leadership, I got lucky at several of my clubs to get in a position.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice. Would I be able to list the 1000 hours on my med school application if I continue volunteering for the organization throughout college?

Sorry I wasn't more clear about what I was asking. It's a wide net of advice. What I am asking for is, with my completion of high school and entry into college what advice does anyone have to make for a phenomenal med-school application? It can be as simple as "good grades, high MCAT" or can be more detailed advice regarding pacing yourself and study tips. Stories of good applications submitted by peers or yourself work as well. Just looking for goals and mile markers to become the best applicant and doctor I can possibly be.
Med schools don't care about high school. What exactly are you asking?

Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice. Would I be able to list the 1000 hours on my med school application if I continue volunteering for the organization throughout college?
Hmm. I can't remember the specific wording on the AMCAS app, but I would say just put the hours you did in UG. Although if you want you could probably mention in the description that you have been volunteering since HS

Big mistake I see a lot of high achieving high schoolers make, particularly those who already have the college pre-reqs "completed" is jumping into upper level courses and getting bad grades.
Use your success to help you-don't overextend as a freshman. Make sure you know how to study when you have left your high school bubble and have much more autonomy. Pick up hobbies, make friends. Way more important than freshman year orgo chem.

Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't go overboard trying to get started right now with a med school resume.

Looking back, going from highschool to college was a HUGE change, and it might not go as smoothly as you'd expect. I echo the advice that your best move right now is going to be relaxing, and enjoying your senior year. You are literally never going to be this free again.

That first week of school making sure you are prepared to take it all in, and start those good study habits early. Success in college is dictated by your ability to prepare for things. In the same vein, I wouldn't concern yourself with research your first semester or even your first year. Take the time to figure out where you stand academically, and your comfort level balancing academics and your free time, then take on more tasks. If I were you, I would just stick with volunteering your first year - its a good way to make friends, become more familiar with your new community, all while getting a good start on creating that resume.

Reactions: 3 users
Your goal in your first year of college should be to explore a wide range of opportunities--both scholastic and extracurricular--to understand what it is you really enjoy and to make lifelong friendships. You will be wearing that white coat or suit--the uniform of the profession you choose--for a long, long time. Make sure that you have done enough exploration in college to choose wisely. If you ultimately choose medicine, opt for classes that interest you, fulfill the premed requirements, and do well. After you are comfortable in your new surroundings and have a sense of the direction you want to head, begin building your extracurricular record. And don't forget to have some fun along the way.

Reactions: 1 users
1. 4.0 every semester (As and A-s will do)
2. Make friends (side quest: avoid first-year premeds like a plague).
3. Engage in meaningful hobbies/student groups
4. Volunteer clinically and non-clinical >200 hours
5. Do at least 500 hours of research if you're interested in research (top) schools, prioritize publications and posters
6. Have >9 meaningful activities
7. >513 on the MCAT
8. >50 hours of shadowing, majority primary care.

Do all this, you've got a great shot at admission.

5. Do at least 500 hours of research if you're interested in research (top) schools, prioritize publications and posters
7. >513 on the MCAT

3.6+ GPA will be fine for OP.
To the other other fine advice offered, do what you love and love what you do.

Reactions: 1 user
7. >513 on the MCAT

What's the difference between 3s hobbies and 6s meaningful activities?

What's the difference between 3s hobbies and 6s meaningful activities?
A hobby could be a meaningful activity and vice versa. But most of the times it looks something like this.

Hobby: Woodworking
Meaningful Activity: Starting a program at your college focusing on womens' health with a local medical school that you continue and develop for 3 years.

You are starting with a clean slate. Dont overload your schedule first semester. Get into your study habits and adjust to college life. Taking too many upper levels right off the bat could be disastrous to your gpa. There is no rush. Dont make any mistakes like giving up a double legged takedown and getting into trouble early. You'll be fine.