Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satuday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a traditional student and I've applied for the 2012 cycle but I don't know how great my chances are.:confused:

I have a 4.0 science GPA, a 3.98 cumulative GPA, but I didnt do so great on the MCAT with a 27P (7V, 10P, 10B) . I have about 1.5 years of volunteering at a pretty big hospital directly with patients. I only have one semester worth of research at a neuroscience lab, I got my name on a poster but no publications. I have a lot of tutoring and mentoring experience with underprivileged kids. Oh and I'm not an URM.

What are my chances of getting into MD schools this cycle, what schools do you recommend for high gpa but low mcat and non-exceptional ECs? Has anyone gotten in to an MD schools with stats like mine?

Should I apply to DO schools and which ones?

Should I take a couple years off and go for a masters/retake the MCAT and get more experience?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
when was AMCAS verified and when did you complete your secondaries.

That really low MCAT will probably get you rejected from most MD programs. Applying to DO starting now is kind of late as well. You might be better off retaking the MCAT and applying next cycle.

AMCAS was verified in July and secondaries finished by late August/early September, any other advice besides improving MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS was verified in July and secondaries finished by late August/early September, any other advice besides improving MCAT scores?

You will get into a DO school even if you apply this late. I guarantee you that you will so apply to AACOMAS ASAP. Just make sure you apply broadly....

Last edited:
Do you have a state schools with a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7? Did you pick schools that don't regard subscores, or at least that don't publish minimum cutoffs?

How were your last 4 practice test scores before you took the MCAT? Would having a lag year be a problem (educational loans coming due, eg) that makes you anxious to get in anywhere to start school fall 2012? Or are you willing to put the time in to study again to get a higher score and reapply in June 2012?

Any shadowing (of a DO particularly) or leadership?

Thanks for the advice, filling the AACOMAS out as I type...i never really researched the schools before, anyone have advice on which DO schools to apply to around the east coast?

Do you have a state schools with a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7? Did you pick schools that don't regard subscores, or at least that don't publish minimum cutoffs?

How were your last 4 practice test scores before you took the MCAT? Would having a lag year be a problem (educational loans coming due, eg) that makes you anxious to get in anywhere to start school fall 2012? Or are you willing to put the time in to study again to get a higher score and reapply in June 2012?

Any shadowing (of a DO particularly) or leadership?

Catalystik

The schools I applied to all gave that generic statement, "although we have no cut-offs, successful applicants have an MCAT score of..." Most of the schools I applied to, including my state schools, have an average around 30-32.

I wouldnt mind studying for the MCAT again but I dont know how, I was scoring 33-35s on the practice AAMCs, but I think the anxiety got to me on test day.

I dont know how much I would be able to improve my application my June 2012 since I still need to finish up my bachelors, so I would probably go for June 2013 to reapply, the question I'm asking myself is how much do I want an MD after my name rather than a DO??? (saying that with the hope that that flodhi1 is right :))

And ive shadowed MD's but not a DO yet, so getting a recommendation would take some time (which is limited considering its October),
About leadership, I'm involved in alot of organizations in school and I have been on the cabinet in previous years for community service and cultural clubs, nothing medical related...

the question I'm asking myself is how much do I want an MD after my name rather than a DO??? (saying that with the hope that that flodhi1 is right :))
I agree that you'd likely get a DO acceptance somewhere, even applying on the late-ish side, but don't rush into it. You need to do your research first. Some schools require a DO letter. Some permit an MD letter. And some don't care. Some have a regional bias. Some have cutoffs (not sure if any of them are an 8). Apply thoughtfully, rather than using the spray and pray approach.

Catalystik

The schools I applied to all gave that generic statement, "although we have no cut-offs, successful applicants have an MCAT score of..." Most of the schools I applied to, including my state schools, have an average around 30-32.

I wouldnt mind studying for the MCAT again but I dont know how, I was scoring 33-35s on the practice AAMCs, but I think the anxiety got to me on test day.

I dont know how much I would be able to improve my application my June 2012 since I still need to finish up my bachelors, so I would probably go for June 2013 to reapply, the question I'm asking myself is how much do I want an MD after my name rather than a DO??? (saying that with the hope that that flodhi1 is right :))

And ive shadowed MD's but not a DO yet, so getting a recommendation would take some time (which is limited considering its October),
About leadership, I'm involved in alot of organizations in school and I have been on the cabinet in previous years for community service and cultural clubs, nothing medical related...

OP the following schools will accept MD letters instead of DO letters. Considering it's sort of late in the cycle, I would just apply to all of them. I know it takes up time and money but it will be worth the effort. Later down the road you can update these schools with a DO letter. You will most likely based on your stats and ECs get at least 2-3 acceptances out of all these schools. It's hard to pin down which one is the best to apply and quite frankly I think this late in the cycle applying to 15 DO schools would not really be unreasonable at all.

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona,
AZ Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University,
AZ Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA Kansas City
University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA