Where do I go next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Let 'er Buck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Everyone probably gets tired of these types of questions, but I don't have many resources to lean upon as I progress toward my goal.

Background - Mid 30's non-trad student. Married, two kids, all that mess. I was a firefighter and paramedic (volunteer and career) for 14+ years, with five of those years as an ER based medic. Since that time I have volunteered with a myriad of other entities, as well as being a chemistry TA.

Schooling - Currently cruising somewhere between my junior and senior year as a pre-med physiology student. I started college 20 years ago the first time, so I have some carry over credits which don't help my current degree plan but add to the vagueness of my student standing level.

I borked off in college the first time (Firefighters don't need no learnin'). Fortunately I woke up a couple years ago and took it seriously. I want to be a physician. Currently rolling a 3.6-3.7gpa, after having graduated high school with a 1.8gpa and a 2.3 gpa my first go-around in college.

By most accounts I have done a remarkable turnaround, and I am proud. I consider myself a recovering redneck, so this is big. First one in my family to seek education beyond high school.

I have NOT taken then MCAT yet, live in a WWAMI state (Wyoming), and am just looking into my next step. Obviously the MCAT is a top priority, and I plan on taking that next spring. Am I totally out to lunch with this plan or do I have a good thing going?

Thanks,
OM

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you score 500 or higher on the MCAT you will be competitive for at least 12 DO schools that I can think of. Just keep up the 3.6 GPA and do not take the MCAT until you have taken all the medical school prerequisites and your practice scores are consistently above 500. You could be competitive for the Washington MD schools with a MCAT above 508.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you score 500 or higher on the MCAT you will be competitive for at least 12 DO schools that I can think of. Just keep up the 3.6 GPA and do not take the MCAT until you have taken all the medical school prerequisites and your practice scores are consistently above 500. You could be competitive for the Washington MD schools with a MCAT above 508.

Thanks for the reply! My goal is (isn't it everyone's?) to get a very nice score on the test. Hopefully that pans out.

As for not taking the test until after taking the pre-reqs, are you referring to the chemistry (general and organic), calculus, physics, etc? At this point I am only in major specific upper division courses that aren't necessarily required for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry is huge for the current MCAT, definitely take that before taking the exam. At least a Psychology course is recommended with the new Psychology & Sociology section.

Biochemistry is huge for the current MCAT, definitely take that before taking the exam. At least a Psychology course is recommended with the new Psychology & Sociology section.
Definitely taking biochem first. That is one area I certainly don't want to scrimp on. Fortunately I've taken quite a bit of both psych and soc, but I will be sure to throw that into my MCAT study regiment.

I second this. Test well on the MCAT the first time around. Study hard for it. Take a course if you have to.

Thanks for the reply! My goal is (isn't it everyone's?) to get a very nice score on the test. Hopefully that pans out.

As for not taking the test until after taking the pre-reqs, are you referring to the chemistry (general and organic), calculus, physics, etc? At this point I am only in major specific upper division courses that aren't necessarily required for med school.
You need chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, biochemistry and psychology in order to be adequately prepared for the MCAT.