• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Where do I sign up?

moneduloides

Corvus
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2008
  1. Medical Student
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/dec/03/congo-text-message-amputation

"He was dying" said Nott. "He had about two or three days to live."

The doctor realised the boy's best chance of survival was a forequarter amputation which requires the surgeon to remove the collar bone and shoulder blade. The only problem was that it was an operation Nott had never performed. But he remembered that one of his colleagues at home had carried out the procedure.

"I texted him and he texted back step-by-step instructions," he said.

eclcell

10+ Year Member
    Oct 28, 2006
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      Here's a link to a longer version.
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5276983.ece

It caught my attention because of the comment:
      “I don’t think that someone that wasn’t a vascular surgeon would have been able to deal with the large blood vessels involved. That is why I volunteer myself so often, I love being able to save someone’s life.”

Guess only vascular surgeons get to operate on the big vessels these days.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.