Where do I stand in getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwalmsley

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior Biology major with a 3.44 overall GPA and a 3.42 Science GPA. Are these enough to get into med school. My advisor said 3.6 or higher but I have seen lower averages. What would be a GPA or MCAT score to shot for to guarentee at least an interview. Also I have worked 25-30 / week while in school as a manager at a supermarket, would this improve my chances of getting in or will it not make any difference. I only ask because it is rather difficult doing both and I know I could be getting better grades without working.
Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

You just have to love Med School advisors.

First:
Your grades are good. The national average is ~3.5 so u are in the running.

Second:
A good MCAT score and u have as good a shot as anyone. I would definitley let them know u worked during school.

Third:
Make sure u have some volunteer time. Find something that sets u apart from the crowd. Life experiences, etc. Even if u just volunteer for a summer.

Finally:
If you really want to go to Med school stop listening to people who say u can't and start finding out what other people have done to get in. Lot's of folks have gone to Medical School with your grades.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Do well in MCAT and your chances are still strong. However, if you are planning to attend top schools, the condition is different.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to love Med School advisors.

First:
Your grades are good. The national average is ~3.5 so u are in the running.

Second:
A good MCAT score and u have as good a shot as anyone. I would definitley let them know u worked during school.

Third:
Make sure u have some volunteer time. Find something that sets u apart from the crowd. Life experiences, etc. Even if u just volunteer for a summer.

Finally:
If you really want to go to Med school stop listening to people who say u can't and start finding out what other people have done to get in. Lot's of folks have gone to Medical School with your grades.

Good Luck!
Ahhhhh, wishing I could go back to these times where a 3.5 is a decent GPA and "volunteer time" will set you apart from the crowd.

How far we have come in the past 20 years...

Reactions: 8 users
Ahhhhh, wishing I could go back to these times where a 3.5 is a decent GPA and "volunteer time" will set you apart from the crowd.

How far we have come in the past 20 years...

“Even if you just volunteer for a summer”

HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: 1 users
What I find particularly interesting, is that even back then, premed advisors used to be useless

Reactions: 2 users
I am a Junior Biology major with a 3.44 overall GPA and a 3.42 Science GPA. Are these enough to get into med school. My advisor said 3.6 or higher but I have seen lower averages. What would be a GPA or MCAT score to shot for to guarentee at least an interview. Also I have worked 25-30 / week while in school as a manager at a supermarket, would this improve my chances of getting in or will it not make any difference. I only ask because it is rather difficult doing both and I know I could be getting better grades without working.
Thank you for your help

When you start studying for the MCAT cut back on your work hours. When you reach senior year drop the job completely and take out loans. Register for the four easiest biology classes you can. Take other easy non science classes. Some universities will have the grading profiles of various instructors on file. If yours does, take the easy graders. Take a gap year so that your GPA will reflect the 4.0 you get as a senior when you apply. That should get you to a 3.6. Use the gap year for a part time job, research and volunteering. Good luck.

When you start studying for the MCAT cut back on your work hours. When you reach senior year drop the job completely and take out loans. Register for the four easiest biology classes you can. Take other easy non science classes. Some universities will have the grading profiles of various instructors on file. If yours does, take the easy graders. Take a gap year so that your GPA will reflect the 4.0 you get as a senior when you apply. That should get you to a 3.6. Use the gap year for a part time job, research and volunteering. Good luck.

Look at the date of the original post :/

Reactions: 1 users
Some things never change, my man.

Yep. It’s funny because I feel like it’s become a “well known fact” or a given, that premed advisors are useless. Even some of my professors have said so. It doesn’t take a lot to become a premed advisor...

I was thinking woah why is everyone so positive about his chances, he has pretty low stats!!
.......Then I looked at the date.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quite a culture shock to see that a 3.5 GPA is competitive for most medical schools about 20 years ago; but then there was the writing section on the MCAT as well

Quite a culture shock to see that a 3.5 GPA is competitive for most medical schools about 20 years ago; but then there was the writing section on the MCAT as well
There was a dip in medical school applications in 2000 and 2001 because everybody thought they were going to make zillions selling rutabagas on the internet. When the dot.bomb phase collapsed applications went up again. Timing is everything.

Yep. It’s funny because I feel like it’s become a “well known fact” or a given, that premed advisors are useless. Even some of my professors have said so. It doesn’t take a lot to become a premed advisor...
I know right lol. SDN is the only pre-med advisor you need, really. If you weed through the occasional BS and trolling there is a lot of gold that can be found! Not to mention the extremely active adcoms. I feel bad for the people who never hear about it to at least browse the forums.