Where do I stand in getting into med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dwalmsley, Sep 2, 1999.

1. dwalmsley

dwalmsley New Member

I am a Junior Biology major with a 3.44 overall GPA and a 3.42 Science GPA. Are these enough to get into med school. My advisor said 3.6 or higher but I have seen lower averages. What would be a GPA or MCAT score to shot for to guarentee at least an interview. Also I have worked 25-30 / week while in school as a manager at a supermarket, would this improve my chances of getting in or will it not make any difference. I only ask because it is rather difficult doing both and I know I could be getting better grades without working.
    Thank you for your help

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Satellite

Satellite Member

You just have to love Med School advisors.

First:
    Your grades are good. The national average is ~3.5 so u are in the running.

Second:
    A good MCAT score and u have as good a shot as anyone. I would definitley let them know u worked during school.

Third:
    Make sure u have some volunteer time. Find something that sets u apart from the crowd. Life experiences, etc. Even if u just volunteer for a summer.

Finally:
    If you really want to go to Med school stop listening to people who say u can't and start finding out what other people have done to get in. Lot's of folks have gone to Medical School with your grades.

Good Luck!

4. Henry

Henry Senior Member

Do well in MCAT and your chances are still strong. However, if you are planning to attend top schools, the condition is different.

Good luck